FPHS Parent and Student Memo
October 19, 2020
Dear Parents and Students,
- Students, if you need academic support, please make sure you are utilizing Office Hours to meet with your teachers and HW Center to get free tutoring and assistance in any subject area. See the link below.
- IMMUNIZATIONS: Washington State law requires all children to be properly immunized to attend or continue attending school. For this reason, you may receive a call or email from the school nurse regarding missing immunizations. If you have an immunization record from your healthcare provider, please provide this information to the school nurse. If you do not have an immunization record from your provider, please contact your doctor’s office for a copy to give to the school as soon as possible. If we do not receive documentation of immunization, by law we must send you a notice of exclusion from in-person learning for immunization noncompliance. This notice will explain that your child cannot attend face to face school until you provide the required immunization documentation; however your child will be able to continue remote learning if and when we have returned to the building or for the duration of its offering. While we're currently remote, this is the perfect time to get those immunizations taken care of! Thank you, School Nurse, Jackie Haynes, Jhaynes@fpschools.org , 253-298-3823.
- TECHNOLOGY: If you are still experiencing problems with your district device, please contact IT directly via the new IT Work Order button in DORA or by calling them directly at 253-298-4647. They can't fix a problem unless they know about it.
Stay tuned for more information and details. We wish you all the very best. Stay safe and be well!
October Culture Calendar
- National Bullying Prevention Month. Learn more HERE.
- Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Learn more HERE.
- Filipino-American Heritage Month. Learn more HERE.
- Italian American Heritage Month. Learn more HERE.
- LGBT History Month. Learn more HERE.
Disability History Awareness month takes place during October to increase awareness, respect, and acceptance for people with disabilities, and to bring a greater sense of pride to people with disabilities. Learn more below:
Cardinal Character Trait for October: COMPASSION
A message from our Family and Community Engagement Coordinator, Ms. Bonita Lee:
Hello FP Community,
If you have a pink shirt, please wear it on October 20th to recognize Breast Cancer Awareness Month and send Ms. Lee a picture so we can share it.
Did you know?
- 1-8 women in the US have been diagnosed with breast cancer
- In the United States 3.5 Million women are survivors
TWO GREAT RESOURCES BELOW:
1. Free FAFSA help for Seniors from trained and knowledgeable professionals.
2. Free academic support including SAT and ACT prep for all students.
If you have any questions, please reach out.
Family and Community Engagement Coordinator
SENIOR Yearbook Photos!
Hello Seniors!This is a reminder from your FPHS Yearbook Crew that senior portraits are due by 12/1. Below are instructions on how to upload them online (do not send photos via email). Please, remember this is for seniors only. Underclassmen who want to submit photos will have the opportunity to do so at a later date. Thanks!
Homework Center: Free Tutoring Daily
- Monday through Friday: 9am - 11am and 12:30pm - 2:30pm.
- On Wednesdays, there is an additional hour available from 3pm to 4pm.
HW Center LINK.
For the latest updates and information about 2020-21 high school sports, please visit the WIAA website HERE and watch the video from Mr. McNeil below.
For the most recent modified sport season calendar, visit HERE.
As families in the Franklin Pierce School District, there are a few items you can do to help you and your child to be ready to go for 2020-21 high school sports regardless of when that occurs:
- Make sure your son or daughter has a current physical that has been completed within the last 2 years. If it expires within the next 3-4 months, we recommend getting that taken care of as soon as possible. If you have a question about your expiration date, Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
- If your son or daughter had a physical while at Ford, we have those on file at FPHS and they will be transferred over.
- Follow the WIAA and Franklin Pierce HS on Facebook, Instagram, and twitter for continuous updates.
- Connect with coaches of your sport. Coaches have been given permission to host online meetings with current and prospective athletes. We know they would love to connect with families and athletes to be able to begin sharing important information.
Fall Coaches' emails:
- Football: Trevor Hanson, Thanson@fpschools.org
- Cross Country (Boys & Girls): Jesse McNeil, Jmcneil@fpschools.org
- Golf (Boys): Colin Horak, email@example.com
- Golf (Girls): Jeff Melvard, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Soccer (Girls): Kyle Wynkoop, email@example.com
- Swim & Dive (Girls): TBH
- Tennis (Boys): Tyler Parsons, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Volleyball (Girls): Tiffany Disney, Tdisney@fpschools.org
- Cheerleading: Rebecca Matthews, email@example.com
- District Website: https://www.fpschools.org/
- Franklin Pierce HS Website
- FPS Remote Learning Website
- IT Help Desk for Students and Parents: 253-298-4647, 7:30AM to 4PM.
- Washington Office of Superintendent of Public Instruction (OSPI)
- FPS Breakfast and Lunch Program: www.fpschools.org/meals
- FPS Education Resources: https://www.fpschools.org/exended-closure-resources-and-information/closure-educational-resources
- Want to add Canvas to your phone? Android or iOS. Once you download the app, search "fpschools" to find our district.
- FPHS Facebook page.
- Information about GRADES and GRADING.
- Information about BUSES.
- District CALENDAR.
- Information about ATTENDANCE.
- How to access and use DORA.
COVID- 19 Resources:
- District Website: https://www.fpschools.org/
- Gov. Inslee's COVID-19 updates web page: https://www.governor.wa.gov/tags/covid-19-coronavirus
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC): https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/index.html
- District resources and partners: https://www.fpschools.org/departments/family-engagement-office/community-resources
- Check with your phone and internet provider: many providers are offering free and/or unlimited data, internet etc. during the Stay Home, Stay Healthy order.
- Financial Resources: https://dfi.wa.gov/coronavirus/financial-resources