A Ministry of Cullman First United Methodist Church
Bazillion Book Drive
During the month of May, First United Methodist Church of Cullman will be participating in the Bazillion Book Drive. Help us collect new books that target children Kindergarten through 3rd Grade. The books collected at our church will be donated to local tutoring programs and schools serving children at risk. Why are we collecting books?
- Children with reading difficulties are more likely to drop out of school and remain in the cycle of poverty
- 85% of all Juvenile offenders have reading problems
- In middle income neighborhoods, the ratio of books to child is 13 to 1
- In low income neighborhoods, the ratio is 1 age appropriate book for every 300 children
- In our own county, there are school children who rely on the school library for and and all access to books. During the summer months, that access is not available.
- According to Better Basics, low-income students lose about two months of grade level equivalency in reading skills over the summer months. More than half of the achievement gap between lower- and higher-income youth can be explained by unequal access to summer learning opportunities
Help us make a difference in the life of a child....one book at a time!
June 26th 6-8pm Kick Off- Cullman Wellness & Aquatic. Free swim Indoor and Outdoor pools, food, fun. Come meet our THREE new Pastors and their families.
June 27-30th 2:30pm-5:30pm Kidz Camp VBS. Please pre-register your child(ren). This will allow us to plan needed materials and volunteers for each age group.
Online Volunteer & Child Registration: http://www.vacationbibleschool.com/cullmanfumc
Day camp is Monday-Friday. Please contact the church office to reserve a seat on the Day camp bus if your child will need transportation.
Elementary Campers will meet at Sumatanga on Sunday, June 12th and picked back up on Friday the 17th.
Take Out Church
These "take out boxes" will store well in your car (no melted crayons or chocolate included), and will help you "take church" with you this summer. You can pick up your "Take Out Church" box at the Children's Welcome Center, Nursery Check In, or Tween Room (please limit one per family)
If you utilize your "Take Out Church" box during the week, let Mrs. Melissa know. Email firstname.lastname@example.org or tex 205-410-5791
A HUGE SHOUT OUT to our Connect Wednesday Volunteers and kids. Time of Your Life was AMAZING! Our Kindergarten through 6th Grade kids worked for 13 weeks preparing for this musical. It was full of laughter, suspense, and fun. Check out our photo gallery!
What is even MORE amazing than the kid's program is our volunteers!!! Connect Wednesday has the cream of the crop when it comes to committed volunteers. We had 20 weekly volunteers and 10 additional volunteers who worked 1-2 times per month.
Louise & Bobby Proctor, Lisa & Dorris Charlton, Jodi & Mitchell Williams, Tom Montgomery, Carolyn McKoy, Jim Humiston, Carolyn Mann, Joan Baccuss, Malinda Windham, Nella McGraw, Tori Lessman, Adrianna Brown, Sally Brown, Valerie Bussman, Jim Taylor, Cathy & Chris Ritchey, Janey Ray, Glenda Cobb, Lynne Huddleston, Jim & Audrey Parker, Alice St. John, Kay Calhan, John & Jan Thompson, and Rhonda Parris. THANK YOU!!!!
If your rising K-6th Grader would like to participate in our Fall 2016-17 Connect Wednesday, please contact Melissa Betts email@example.com or 256-734-6690 Registration is happening now.