Classes of 2019, 2020, & 2021
We Want Your Feedback!
College Planning Night for Juniors, March 1
AP MONEY DUE TO AP TEACHER BY MARCH 16!!
May 7 - AP Chemistry (8:00 AM); AP Psychology (12:00 PM)
May 9 - AP English Literature and Composition (8:00 AM)
May 10 - AP United States Government and Politics (8:00 AM); AP Environmental Science (12:00 PM)
May 11 - AP United States History (8:00 AM); AP Studio Art deadline
May 14 - AP Biology (8:00 AM)
May 15 - AP Calculus AB (8:00 AM); AP Calculus BC (8:00 AM)
May 16 - AP English Language and Composition (8:00 AM); AP Macroeconomics (12:00 PM)
May 17 - AP Statistics (12:00 PM)
May 18 - AP Human Geography (8:00 AM); AP Microeconomics (8:00 AM); AP European History (12:00 PM)
University of Tennessee in Knoxville Tickle College of Engineering Summer Programs
- Engineering VOLunteers for Tenth Graders (EVOL10): rising 10th grades students live in a residence hall on the UT campus and engage in chemistry, ACT preparation, compete in engineering challenges, and tour an engineering industrial plant. Throughout the program, students team with each other to apply what was learned and work on an engineering design project. All eVOL10 applicants must have taken a standardized test, such as the aCT Aspire, ACT Residual, ACT, PSAT, or SAT. Application deadline: March 2, 2018. Program dates: July 15-20, 2018.
- High School Introduction to Engineering Systems for Twelfth Graders (HITES12): Rising 12th grade students live in a residence hall on campus, engage in hands-on engineering fundamentals activities, college life sessions, compete in engineering challenges, and tour an engineering industrial plant. Throughout the program, students team with each other to apply what was learned and work on an engineering design project. All applicants must have a minimum ACT math score of 25 (SAT math score of 590). Application deadline: April 13, 2018. Program dates: July 8-13, 2018.
Registration for 2018-2019
March 6, 7, 8 - Rising Seniors
March 12, 13, 15 - Rising Juniors
March 21-22 - Rising Sophomores
During the above dates, students will work in small groups with their counselors to finalize course selections for the upcoming school year.
George Washington University Summer Programs
George Washington University in Washington, D.C., offers several summer programs for rising sophomores, juniors, and seniors. Please visit precollege.gwu.edu for more information and to access the on-line application. Please note that there are costs associated with each of these programs, but limited scholarships are available. The deadline to apply for scholarships is March 1. The deadline to apply for the summer programs is May 1.
Summer Internship Applications Now Available
Summer Work Based Learning Internship Applications are now available to current sophomores, juniors, and seniors. Students may pick up applications from their TNN teacher or in the counseling office. Applications are due to TNN teachers or the counseling office by April 1, 2018.
QuestBridge College Prep Scholars Summer Program
Furman Scholars Program
University of Mississippi Apex Leadership Summit for Rising Seniors
March 1 - College Planning Night for juniors at 6:00 PM, West High cafeteria
March 20 - Junior ACT
April 16 - May 4 - TN Ready exams
May 7 - May 18 - AP Exams
May 15 - 3rd, 4th periods final exams
May 16 - 1st, 2nd periods final exams
Remind Messages from the Counseling Department
Don't miss out on important events and deadlines! Please sign up to receive updates from the West High Counseling Department. To receive messages via text:
Class of 2019: Text @mowest2019 to 81010
Class of 2020: Text @mowest2020 to 81010
Class of 2021: Text @mowest2021 to 81010
For students wishing to take the ACT on a national test date (see below - these are on Saturdays), students must register on-line at www.act.org. [Please note: students who qualify for free/reduced lunch may use a total of 2 fee waivers during junior and/or senior years to pay for the cost of the ACT (without writing). Students should see Ms. Davidson in the Counseling Office for a fee waiver].
ACT Exam Dates
West High ACT Code 431-587 (Where your scores are sent)
West High Test Center Code 193810 (Where you take the test)
*April 14, 2018 - registration deadline is March 9, 2018
June 9, 2018 - registration deadline is May 4, 2018
July 14, 2018 - registration deadline is June 15, 2018
Please visit www.act.org for information about late registration and photo upload deadlines.
*The test will be administered at Morristown West High School
Students will not be admitted to the test center without an admission ticket.
SAT Exam Dates
March 10, 2018 - registration deadline February 9, 2018
May 5, 2018 - registration deadline April 6, 2018
June 2, 2018 - registration deadline May 3, 2018
College Open House Events
College visits can be extremely helpful as a student is making important decisions about to which schools he/she will apply and eventually about to which school he/she will eventually commit to attending. College visits and open house events often give students opportunities to learn about the application process, available financial aid and scholarships, housing options, and academic programs/majors. Students will generally be offered a tour of campus which includes dorms, dining and recreation facilities, student centers, and academic buildings. Setting foot on a college campus and experiencing some of the same things experienced by the college's students can help high school students decide if the school is a good "fit". Click the links below to register on-line for upcoming events. If these dates do not work, students may check college websites for other visit opportunities.
April 21 - Preview Day
March 23-24 - Railsplitter for a Day
April 28 - Big Orange Preview Day/Spring Open House
Counseling Office Contact Information
- Jill Reuschel: Students A-E
Gwen Ledford, Lead Counselor: Students F-L
Renae Byrd: Students M-R
Melanie Justis: Students S-Z
- Crystal Davidson: Counseling Office Secretary
- Erica Gillett, Niswonger College and Career Advisor
Office Contact Information:
- Phone- 423-581-1600
- Fax- 423-585-3791