No Teacher Left Behind
Improving Quality Teachers by Rita Pettigrew
1. How would you suggest we, as a nation, provide consistent learning opportunities for teachers and ensure that they are not left behind in learning about new techniques and strategies?
2. Should all teachers across the country use certain practices?
All teachers in the field of teaching should align their practice with NETS-T standards in the classrooms.
3. If so, what would those be?
Suggestions include “Facilitating and inspiring students learning and creativity”& Modeling digital age work and learning through demonstrating fluency and transferring new technologies to new situations” NETS-T (2008).
4. Should there be a consistent standard for all teachers to meet, just as students must pass high stakes tests?
Teachers should be held accountable for maintaining high professional standards, conduct, and their teaching license. In any case, teachers need to keep up-to-date with their teaching education, practices, communication, conduct, and training. Parents, school staff, and the community expect quality updated teachers. Who are effective and proficient in delivering curriculum materials, classroom management techniques, 21st century skills, and instructional strategies.
5. If so, what would be the standard?
According to NETS-T teachers should regularly “engage in professional growth and leadership” NETS-T (2008).
6. Lastly, share your thoughts on how well teachers are being prepared to master the NETS-T standards in their classrooms.
Factors such as feedback, personal meaning, resources about student learning styles, attitudes, background, and goals help teachers figure out appropriate strategies to align with the NETS-T standards. Standards are in place to prepare teachers with alternate plans in teaching students and to enrich how students learns through procedures, routines, and managing time effectively.
International Society for Technology in Education. (2008). National education teacher standards. Retrieved from http://www.iste.org/docs/pdfs/nets-t-standards.pdf?sfvrsn=2
Newman, R. (2013). Teaching and learning in the 21st century: Connecting the dots. San Diego, CA: Bridgepoint Education, Inc. Retrieved 2-13-14.