4th Grade Happenings - Week 5
Reagan Elementary - Leander Independent School District
Week of September 22 - 26, 2014
WELCOME TO THE 4TH GRADE!
We're off to a great start - thanks for your support!
Karen & Stephanie
WHAT ARE WE LEARNING THIS WEEK?
- sequencing and summarizing
- continue beginning of year individual reading assessments
- Sitton List 4 - Spell Check on Friday 9/26 in class
- Skill Focus: /s/ sound spelling patterns - s (sit), ss (bass), sc (scare), se (seven), c (cell), ce (ounce), ci (city), cy (bouncy)
- Skill Focus: prefixes & suffixes
- multiplicative equations and comparisons
- continuing Texas regions-flipbook
Science: Properties Matter
- continue measuring mass
- finding the volume of an object using water displacement
- breaking down the writing process: prewriting (brainstorming), drafting, revising, editing, and publishing
- worksheet handed out on Monday 9/22 and due next Monday 9/29
- Online Reading Log & Questions - read 80 min / week (an average of 20 min/night for 4 nights) and answer this week's comprehension questions. Reading log & questions need to be completed only ONCE per week with total minutes for the week. If your child is unable to access the homework online or using an internet-abled device (smart phone, tablet, etc), please have them request a hard copy by signing up in the classroom no later than Wednesday to allow for printing.
- Properties of Matter Vocab Quiz #1 RETAKE on Thursday, September 25 - any student who scored below a 100 will be allowed to retake this quiz for a grade up to a 100 due to confusion on the original quiz. Words are also linked below, and can be found on the Our Town website under "Science Homework".
- Study Sitton List 4, given in class on Monday 9/22 and checked in class on Friday 9/26. List can also be found in your child's travel binder behind "spelling" tab, by clicking the link directly below, or a soft copy is available on the Our Town website under "Spelling Homework".
- Spelling Worksheet handed out in class on Monday 9/22 and due Monday 9/29 - an in-depth look at how the letter combinations s, ss, sc, ce, ci, or cy are used to make the sound /s/ (as in snake). *It is completely fine (even encouraged) to help your child with their weekly spelling worksheet! English is a complicated language, which makes spelling an exceptionally complicated skill that can best be learned by exposure, practice, and help from those who have been spelling longer :).
OUR CURRENT WEEK
Monday 9/22 -
- red specials day
- math worksheets due to math teacher
- spelling worksheet due to reading teacher
- reading homework due (logged online by 5:00 Sunday 9/21 or hardcopies turned in during class today)
- orange specials day
Wednesday 9/24 -
- yellow specials day
- green specials day
- Science Vocab Quiz #1 RETAKE over the following words - classify, compare, contrast, mass, measure, states of matter, solid, liquid, gas, substance, volume. Definitions are linked above and on the website under Science Homework.
Friday 9/19 -
- blue specials day (library for LaCombe's homeroom)
- Pictures for Veteran's Day program due to Mr. Brymer (A picture of any service member in your family)
- Spell Check over Sitton List 4
For which specials (PE, Performing Arts, Visual Art, Library) your child goes to on what day, please see the Our Town website under "Specials Schedule".
ON THE HORIZON - Upcoming Dates
MARK YOUR CALENDARS!
New items from the previous week's newsletter are in italics below.
- Progress reports sent home (ONLY students who have averages of 70% or below will be receiving a progress report)
- Watch Dog Night 6:00-7:00 in the cafeteria
- Destination Imagination applications due to Eileen Delisi, Campus QUEST teacher (see below for more info)
- Fall Picture Day
- Early Release Day - 12:00 Noon
- End of First Nine Weeks
- Staff Development Day, NO SCHOOL for students
- 4th Grade Veterans' Day Play - daytime performances for grade levels, parent/family performance at 6:00 pm.
Monday - Friday 11/24 - 11/28
- Thanksgiving Break, NO SCHOOL
Monday - Friday 12/22 - 1/2
- Winter Break, NO SCHOOL
- End of Second Nine Weeks
AUTHOR EVENT/BOOK SIGNING - RJ Palacio, Author of "Wonder" & "365 Days of Wonder: Mr. Browne's Book of Precepts"
Saturday, Sep. 27th 2014 at 4pm
2701 Parker Rd
Round Rock, TX
Looking for something different to do with your son or daughter? Check out this opportunity!
We have been reading RJ Palacio's first novel, "Wonder", as our first class read-aloud, and the students LOVE it! We have laughed together, had insightful conversations about issues raised in the book, and will soon shed a few tears together. There are very few books that we've come across that are as impactful on this particular age group as this book, and the students just can't get enough. Her second book, "365 Days of Wonder: Mr. Browne's Book of Precepts", was released last month, and Ms. Palacio is on a book signing tour scheduled to stop at the Round Rock Barnes & Noble this coming Saturday! It's a great opportunity for students to come in contact with a real, live author.
Wristbands will be required to get books signed. Wristband distribution will begin Monday, September 22 at 9:00 am. Books must be purchased at B&N. Call the store at 512.600.0088 for more event details.
Need a little reminder from time to time?
Help us help you by subscribing to "Remind" - a service that strives to help students succeed by keeping the lines of communication open between teachers, parents, and students.
Please subscribe to Mrs. Beasley's Remind messages by texting @beasleyla to (636)875.7691.
Please subscribe to Mrs. LaCombe's Remind messages by texting @lacombe to (281)519-7510.
It would be most beneficial for you to subscribe to BOTH teachers' accounts, since we share time with your children, and not just your child's homeroom teacher's Remind messages.
The Explanatory Fine Print:
Texts will be limited in frequency and serve as important reminders of upcoming events/deadlines or last minute schedule changes due to inclement weather or other unforseen events; primary and detailed info communication will continue to come via weekly 4th Grade Happenings updates. While the "Remind" service is free, standard data-messaging fees may apply as determined by your mobile service carrier. You may unsubscribe at any time by replying STOP to text feed. Service is courtesy of Remind.
Stephanie Beasley (professional account) - @stephbville
Karen LaCombe (professional account) - @lacombesclass
Our Town (class account) - @our4thgradetown
Karen & Stephanie