NOHL CANYON ROADRUNNER NEWS
SEPTEMBER 10TH-SEPTEMBER 16TH : WEEKLY PUBLICATION
Message from Principal Strickland
A special week is coming at Nohl Canyon! On Monday, September 11, we will host a Patriot Assembly for our students where we honor our service members and first responders past and present. This assembly serves as as special remembrance of the events of 9/11 as well as the service members that protect and defend us. Our students are excited to welcome our honored guests as well as some very special guests representing the City of Anaheim, the Orange Unified Board of Education, as well as the Orange Unified School District. Our student performers and our boy and girl scouts have been working hard to prepare memorable performances to commemorate the day. It will be a great event!
About campus, our music, PE, and VAPA programs are off and running. The cast has been set and rehearsals for the fall musical are underway. It is great to see our Roadrunners building their toolboxes on a variety of fronts.
On Tuesday evening, our 6th grade families are encouraged to attend the Outdoor Ed parent meeting beginning at 5pm. The meeting will be held in our TLC. The Outdoor Ed 6th grade adventure is scheduled for the week of November 13th. We are thrilled for our 6th grade students to take part in the special experience. Go Roadrunners!
September 11: Student of the Month is underway - Hard Work focus
September 11: Patriot Day Assembly
September 12: Outdoor ED Parent Meeting 5:00pm
September 15: Make-up / Class Picture Day
September 25: Vision and Hearing
September 27-28: Student of the Month Recognition
Patriot Day Student Assembly - September 11th
On Monday morning, September 11th at 8:30am, Nohl Canyon is holding our Patriot Day Assembly recognizing our heroes, First Responders and military service members and those who sacrificed the greatest sacrifice on September 11, 2001. This is a closed assembly (students and staff only) except for the invitation to family members who are first responders and/or retired/active armed services as well as the parents of students performing in the assembly. If you are a first responder and/or armed services and would like to attend, please complete the following Google form: Patriot Day Assembly Invitation Form
We also welcome the families of all assembly performers. Please fill out the link for the Patriot Day Assembly Invitation Form linked above so we can plan on your attendance. For the Profile question you may select any of the three choices that apply.
Also, our students who are in the Boy or Girl Scouts will have a role in Monday’s assembly. If your child is part of a Boy or Girl scout troop and you have not been contacted by Danh Bui (Boy Scouts) email@example.com or Craig Kobayashi (Girl Scouts) firstname.lastname@example.org, please reach out to them individually.
After the ceremony on Monday, the yearbook group photo will be taken of our troop members. Please have your child wear their scout uniform to school! We ask our military service members and first responders to remain for the group photo.
All Students are allowed to wear any Red, White, or Blue on Assembly Day!
Student of the Month Begins - September Focus - Hard Work
HARD WORK - “Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”
Preparing for Success means you must work hard. Are you preparing to Succeed or preparing to fail? If you are looking for the easy way, a short cut or trick you are preparing to fail because success requires old-fashioned hard work. Remember: Only you know if you are working as hard as you can.
At the end of each month, students will be nominated by their teachers and receive principal recognition for their dedicated efforts.
Picture Day Makeups/Class Picture: 9/15
Please check your kiddo's backpack for their proofs and/or photos if you pre-ordered them. There is a log in code on the back of every proof folder that will take you to their site to order.
Class photos and makeups are scheduled for this coming Friday, September 15th. Students may wear appropriate picture attire. If you are unhappy with your kiddo's picture, they may retake their photo but they must bring their original proofs to school to turn in.
Makeup picture ordering info as of 9/15
For general photo ordering:
Online order code: 0008192AR
For student specific ordering:
Use the code on the back of the student proofs for student specific ordering (proofs may take a few weeks if student retook or took pictures for the first time today).
**The purchase window for pictures should now be open.
Meet Coach Suarez
Parking Lot Procedures
Thank you for making our parking lot procedures during drop-off and pick-up a safe and efficient machine. We serve a large number of vehicles in short period of time.
Thank you for your continued help with a few critical items:
- Please be kind to our parking lot volunteers. They make the whole thing work.
- Please ask your kiddos to walk when in front of school. Running children in the pick up area presents several hazards. Safety is our first priority.
- Trinity School Parking Lot is CLOSED for drop-off and pick-up parking.
- Parents, with respect to Trinity Pre-School and their families, we are not allowing Nohl Canyon families to park in the Trinity parking lot. Please follow this guideline and support us in keeping a positive community relationship with Trinity School. Trinity will often allow us to use their lot for special events but should not be used for drop-off or pick-up.
- Please remain clear of the Trinity lawn areas. Trinity lawns should not be used for student waiting for drop-off or pick-up. Students should always be picked up from our school site. If students are still here after 2:40pm, we bring them behind our school gates into our QUAD area for safety until parent pick-up. Please do not have your students wait at the Trinity site for pick-up.
- Please be sure to use crosswalks when crossing all major roads. Students being dropped off on Nohl Canyon Rd. and then proceeding across the street, presents a significant hazard to those students.
- Keep in mind, the Nohl Canyon Rd. entrance to our parking area is only to be used during afternoon pick-up and is limited to Middle Lane traffic that is pulling all the way through the lot to park in the back school lot.
Parents, Please watch the following video on Parking Lot Procedures
Parking Lot Guidelines:
- Entrance Driveways
- Nohl Canyon Rd Driveway is used for Staff, Buses or Drive Through to EAST parking lot Only
- Nohl Ranch Rd Lower Driveway is used for Entrance for all cars
- Nohl Ranch Rd Upper Driveway is EXIT ONLY. This driveway is also Right turn ONLY during the hours of 7:30 - 8:30 am AND 2:00 - 3:00 pm
Please view the Parking Lot Procedures attachment below.
Trinity School Parking Lot is CLOSED for drop-off and pick-up parking.
- Parents, with respect to Trinity Pre-School and their families, we are not allowing Nohl Canyon families to park in the Trinity parking lot. Please follow this guideline and support us in keeping a positive community relationship with Trinity School.
Nohl Canyon Parents - if you need to park for drop-off/pick-up, or park to wait for your child, please utilize the following spots:
- Nohl Canyon's EAST back parking lot (West parking lot near Kindergarten area is STAFF ONLY)
- Nohl Canyon Rd where available (do not block driveways or park on the school side of Nohl Canyon Rd.)
- Dog park parking lot (Behind school)
4th, 5th, 6th Grade Parents
- If you have a child in 4th, 5th, or 6th grade only (do not have a primary child), please avoid parking in our drop-off/pick-up lane until your dismissal time.
- If you need to arrive early, please park in our back EAST parking lot to wait for your child.
- We need to keep our drop-off/pick-up lane open for each dismissal time to allow a steady flow of traffic.
Best Scenario - please pick up during the dismissal time for your specific grade level. Please use our drop-off/ Pick-up lanes to meet your child while parent stays in the car. We understand some families have multiple children with staggered dismissal times. If you need to wait for your child, please utilize one of the parking spots listed above. This will allow a continuous flow of traffic during pick-up.
Job Opportunities with OUSD
NOON - SUPERVISOR
We would love to hire some caring members of our community to help with Noon supervision!
OUSD and Nohl Canyon are looking for Noon-Supervisors! Hours are 11:30 - 12:45, Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Friday and 9:30 - 10:45 on Wednesday's.
* Please contact Sherrie Seltzer if you are interested in applying: email@example.com
If interested, please visit OUSD job opportunities webpage: https://www.orangeusd.org/departments/hr/employment-opportunities
Campus Volunteers Guidance and Requirements
Enclosed please find the 2023-2024 Volunteer Guidance Memo. Note that the application has been streamlined and many of the trainings have been eliminated.
Volunteers will need to complete the following based on hours:
· Volunteers who work more than five hours per week - Volunteers who work more than five hours per week must obtain a fingerprint clearance through the Department of Justice and Federal Bureau of Investigations and submit to a tuberculosis (TB) risk assessment/examination. Volunteers are responsible for all associated costs.
· Volunteers who work less than five hours per week - A Megan’s Law registered sex offender check will be completed for volunteers who work less than 5 hours.
Volunteers will also be required to submit proof of their completed Mandated Reporter Training (60 min) and the Districts Illness and Injury Prevention Program (5-10 min). Please call Natalie Montoya at 714-628-5515 with any questions or concerns.
2023-2024 STUDENT CALENDAR / ATTENDANCE
In the 2022-2023 school year, we are pleased to announce that 25 students earned PERFECT ATTENDANCE and Nohl Canyon had an overall 95% attendance rate!
Positive Information on Student Attendance:
SCHOOL UNIFORMS - AMERICAN CASUAL
Tops – Nohl Canyon Uniform shirts are to be worn each day. NC Spirit shirts are allowed throughout the week, along with scheduled themed days (Wednesday = College day). Nohl Canyon allows Free Dress on the final Friday of each month.
Bottoms – Uniform bottoms are to be any type (jeans and leggings included) of solid bottoms with no holes, stripes, or patterns. Colors are Black, Blue, Khaki, uniform plaid.
*Sweatpants not allowed
*Closed Toe shoes only (Crocs not allowed)
Please visit American Casual for information on Nohl Canyon Uniforms.
STUDENT MEDICATION FOR 2023-2024 SCHOOL YEAR
FEE-BASED AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAMS
CHESS MASTERSLearn to Play Chess!
● Beginner through Advanced Lessons ● New Chess Masters T-shirt ● Official Chess Masters Tournament with Medals ● Awesome Awards and Prizes!
Supervision starts at 2:15 PM
2:25 PM - 3:25 PM
September 11, 18, 25, October 9, 16, 23, 30, November 6
9/11 - 11/6
1st - 6th grade
Anime, Cartooning, and Comic Creation
9/12 - 11/14
K - 6th grade
9/13 - 11/8
12:25 - 1:25
TK - 6th grade
Young Doctors: Pre-Med Academy
2nd - 6th grade
STEAMlab: Inventors Workshop
Learn the most popular Tik Tok Dances while having fun!
9/15 - 11/3
2:30 - 3:30
NCSA 2023-2024 WELCOME LETTER
Jog-a-thon Fundraiser Friday October 27th, 2023
NOHL CANYON WEBSTORE
Click link below to access the NCSA webstore!
PARENT / ORANGE UNIFIED INFORMATION
Section 5 of Article IX Notification
Section 5 of Article IX of the State of California Constitution guarantees students a “free public education.” The State Supreme Court concluded in the 1984 case of Hartzell v. Connell, “that all educational activities carried on by public school districts, extra-curricular as well as curricula, must be without cost to the students who participate in such activities.” This same ruling found that “mandatory fees for participating in such extra-curricular activities as drama, music, and athletic competition were illegal under the State Constitution.” Furthermore, they also rejected the argument that “fees could be charged so long as the district waived fees for students who were financially unable to pay.” Recent proposed legislation includes reimbursement with interest for any illegally-collected fees as well as a district sanction.
BUS PASSES NOW AVAILABLE!
Bus Pass office hours:
7:30 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
Closed daily for lunch
1:00 p.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Bus Pass Office:
You may visit the Transportation webpage at: https://www.orangeusd.org/departments/business-services/transportation