Maple Grove Middle School: Week of October 17-21
In This Issue....
- Resiliency Lessons Are Here
- Calendar of Weekly Events & Upcoming Dates
- Flu Vaccination Clinic
- Teacher's Tell Students
- Election Day
- Strategic Plan Poster
- Radon Testing Information
- Watch DOGS
RESILIENCY LESSONS ARE HERE!
There are 3 Lessons included that have been created by members of the PBIS team. Because we only have a few weeks left in this month, please work to incorporate these lessons in the next couple weeks. You do have the opportunity to modify as you see fit to meet the needs of your students.
Click the link to access the PBIS/Virtue Calendar.
However, in order for the virtues to really be a highlight of the month, it will take more than just simply teaching a lesson or two. Talk with your team and consider how you might highlight examples of resiliency when they occur in your life or even better, in your classroom. Consider making it a writing prompt, share a story of a composer who was resilient, give a super hard math problem to launch a conversation around this virtue. Resiliency isn't only an "advisory" social-emotional learning topic. It happens all the time.
How are you going to highlight our first virtue of resiliency in your classroom?
- THIS WEEK
- October 18 - Influenza Vaccination Clinic will be at MGMS 2:30-6:30
- October 19 - District led Professional Development for Licensed Staff 2:50-4:00 in the Media Center
- October 20-21 - Education MN Professional Conferences - No School
- A LOOK AHEAD
- October 27 - Parent Conferences Last Names L-Z in the Gyms and Media Center 3:15-7:30
- October 31 - Mid Tri Assembly
- November 2 - Non Licensed Staff Meeting 9:30 & 1:30 in the Main Office Conference Room
- November 2 - Building led Professional Development for Licensed Staff 2:50-4:00 in the Media Center
- November 3 - Maple Grove Middle School Musical - Wizard of Oz - 7 PM
- November 4 - Maple Grove Middle School Musical - Wizard of Oz - 7 PM
- November 5 - Maple Grove Middle School Musical - Wizard of Oz - 3 & 7 PM
- November 8 - Building leader Meeting - 2:50-4:00 in the Main Office Conference Room
- November 8 - Election Day
- November 16 - Reggie Dabbs
- November 16 - District led Professional Development for Licensed Staff 2:50-4:00 in the Media Center
Fight the Flu!!
Radon Testing at MGMS
The District will be testing our buildings for Radon this year. Even though previous testing has not revealed any significant problems, the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) recommends that testing be repeated every few years. Our consultant for this project (Apex Analytics, Inc.) will begin placing radon detectors in the buildings the week of MEA. Each classroom and office area (at or below ground level) will be tested. The small, black, plastic detectors look similar to a small black plastic top hat. Because we are using the long term testing method which is more accurate, the detectors must remain in place for at least three months.
If you see a plastic detector in your room, please do NOT move it. Thank you!
Reggie Dabbs is Coming to Town!
8:20-8:50 Serengeti, Petra, Machu Picchu
9:10-9:40 Inukshuk, Great Wall, Eiffel Tower
10:00-10:30 Pyramids, Lalibela
1:00-1:30 Chichen Itza, Brandenburg
2:00-2:30 Ayers Rock, Taj Mahal
4:00 Optional Staff - You won't want to miss this! More info coming soon!
We realize that adjustments to schedules may be made. Please be sure to work with your colleagues in Special Ed and EL to have a plan for students.
Watch DOGS...Keeping you in the loop
Ron, the BIG DOG, has provided more information for you as teachers so that you can know what to expect.
If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Sara Looby.