August 21, 2021
Message from Mrs. Jones
It was great having the opportunity to see so many of you this week. It was wonderful having you here at supply drop off as we start our transition, together, into the 2021-2022 school year.
Per the update received on Friday, August 20 - Masks are required for all — staff, students, volunteers and visitors — regardless of vaccination status. Please ensure all masks are well fitting. For students who have worked with their school nurse on a documented mask exemption, it is important to note that if a mask cannot be worn, other mitigation strategies will be used. The student will be offered a face shield, and if the student is unable to wear a face shield, a desk shield will be provided. If the parent or student refuses either accommodation, they will be referred to administration. **Masks are also required on all school buses**
If your child will require a face shield or plexi-glass desk shield, please email Courtney Jones, principal - firstname.lastname@example.org as soon as possible.
We are asking for your help as we plan to dismiss our 900 + students home safely on Monday. We recognize that many families completed our transportation document and since then, bus numbers may have changed. We are asking that all parents email and/or send a written note to their teacher to notify them of your child's PM transportation. Our team will be working diligently on Monday to confirm all students' transportation. If a member of our team contacts you to verify, please be kind and know that we are doing the very best we can to assure that all students get home safely.
First Day of School
- School begins on August 23rd for students in 1st through 5th grade
- Kindergartners with last names that begin with A-K come to school August 23, 24, and 27
- Kindergartners with last names that begin with L-Z come to school August 25, 26, and 27
- Student drop off begins at 8:10 AM.
- Please remember that we encourage your child to ride the bus on the first day so that the bus driver can meet each child at his/her regular bus stop if this will be their normal mode of transportation. This causes less confusion in the afternoon for students, teachers, and bus drivers.
- Lunch will be eaten in the GHES cafeteria.
- Snack time will be provided in the classrooms.
- P.E. classes will take place both in the gym and outdoors (weather permitting).
- Students will have daily recess outdoors (weather permitting).
- We dismiss at 3:00 PM.
As I heard so often, your children are excited to get started and we are happy to have them back with us. While we had hoped when we left last June that the community health situation would have all been positive news by this August, we are cognizant of the critical role we still continue to play each day at school with health safety and mitigation protocols and we will work to adjust with any new updates as they come in. We will continue to arrange spaces in classrooms and other areas to provide the best arrangements for instruction and safety that are possible, we also want students to feel that there is a sense of traditional school normalcy in their lives. We hope to accomplish this with our positive approach toward teaching and learning.
Just as it has been in the past with school reopening, we know the first few days are filled with new routines and processes for all of us to get used to. Please feel free to contact us next week as we kick-off the 2021-2022 school year and together we will make this an incredible year for our bulldogs!
Meet our Newest Assistant Principal
Welcome Mr. Belton!
My name is David Belton, and I am excited to be the new Assistant Principal here at Grange Hall Elementary School. I am a product of Chesterfield County and so happy to be coming back home. I believe that it takes a village to raise a child, and I thank you for allowing me to be a part of the Grange Hall village. Please know that my door is always open, and I encourage you to reach out to me to share your ideas, thoughts, or concerns. We are in this together to support our students in every aspect of their development.
Mr. David Belton
Transportation & Car-Loop Procedures
Bus - to find your child’s bus number, please click on the Versatrans E-link. If you do not know your child’s student ID number, you can find it in ParentVue under “student info” If your child is a 1st-5th grader, they most likely know their number from logging on to their Chromebook. If you do not see a bus number yet, it is all right. They are still getting children routed. They are working on it!
Car Tag #'s (Parent pick-up) - We will be using our car tag/car loop procedures for the 2021-2022 school year. Please see the map below for our PPU details. If you have not picked up your child's car loop number, please follow the YELLOW arrows pictured below.
When parents come to pick their car loop tag, they will be required to review your child's information card and will be able to make necessary changes at that time.
Parent Pick-Up Procedures:
- Parents will drive their car behind the building and through the car loop/back parking lot and display their car loop number in their car window.
- The staff person on duty will call for the students to be sent out to the car loop/back parking lot.
- If someone other than the parent will be picking up your child, it is the parents responsibility to make sure that individual has your child's assigned tag # & that individual's name is listed on the child's information card.
Parent Drop-off Procedures:
- Doors open at 8:10 am.
- Please follow the red arrows as indicated in the picture below. There will be signs directing you where to stop and wait for staff prior to dismissing your child from your vehicle.
- We will have staff both inside and outside of the building ready to greet and direct students to their classrooms.
School Nurse Updates
CCPS is working to fill our school nurse vacancy. We will introduce our school nurse to our families once the position is filled.
In the meantime, you may contact Sonji Williams, nursing supervisor @ email@example.com with questions regarding your child's health care plans and/or medications.
All prescription medication must have an order. If your child has a health condition such as life threatening allergy, asthma, seizure, diabetes (see note in schedule for diabetes), or any other specific condition that requires accommodations and medications, you must have a healthcare plan on file. All plans can be found on the website: mychesterfieldschools.com
Emergency medications such as epinephrine, inhalers, seizure medications, insulin, etc should be ordered within the healthcare plan.
Daily medications MUST have a written order in addition to the labeled container. Orders must include the specific TIME. Student medication record (SMR Rx) forms can be found on the website: mychesterfieldschools.com
Over-the-counter medication should be unopened. Please do not bring large containers - they will not be accepted. Please label the medicine with your child's last name and first initial.
For all medications and forms - a parent must bring in these items.
*If you complete this Google form, you do not need to send in a written note*
- We can accommodate dismissals until 2:30pm
- Students may bring a note to their teacher in the morning.
- Parents MUST come into the main office to sign out their student, even if they have sent a note ahead of time. IMPORTANT: Be prepared to show ID.
- It is very important to return the yellow "Student Information" card found in the packet of school information your student will bring home on the first day of school. This information will let us know who is authorized to pick up your child.
- Parents MUST stop at the Main Office for a tardy slip for their child before heading to class.
100 years, 100%! Please help us celebrate Grange Hall’s 100th year by achieving our goal of 100% membership in our PTA. Joining is easy! Sign up online at www.ghpta.com or return the membership form to your child’s teacher. Questions? Contact Sarah Physioc, serving as our VP of Membership at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Goodwill Denim Drive
Have new or used denim lying around your home? Your PTA wants it all! We are now collecting any and all types of denim for our Goodwill Denim Drive. Please drop off any denim in the denim bin located outside of the school. Questions? Please contact Linda Layton, serving our Outreach Committee at Ghesptaoutreach@gmail.com
Save the Date!
Our calendar is ready to view! (see attached)
Interested in a leadership role with PTA? No matter big or small, WE WANT YOU!
Our PTA has survived on the awesome, diverse talents and skills from parents, teachers, and community members.
We are currently looking for people to take on roles on our GHES PTA Team for the 2021-2022 school year. If interested, please go to www.ghpta.com and fill out our "Intent to Serve" form and email to email@example.com. A list of roles and responsibilities can be found on the site as well. Please see www.ghpta.com in the scrolling marquee for details.
Do you own a business? The PTA is compiling a list of Grange Hall family businesses so we can put it out to all our members. We all want to support small businesses these days and no better business to support than a Bulldog's business! Fill out this form here: https://form.jotform.com/202718232476051
Email any questions about this to our Community Representative, Colleen Ferreira: firstname.lastname@example.org