Welcome to the Dark Side
Jocelin Loewen & Haylie Hicks
Hypothesis: If pillbugs are more attracted to dark colored paper then they will move from the light colored paper to the dark colored paper because in nature, they are found under rocks and dark spaces.
Null Hypothesis: The pillbugs will not show a preference in choosing colored paper. They will be equally distributed in the petri dishes (5 and 5).
Control: In the experiment, the type of insect will remain the same as well as the temperature and humidity of the environment.
1. Place 5 pill-bugs into each empty petri dish using tweezers. Place timer at 10 minutes.
2. During each minute interval, observe and record data based on findings.
Manipulated Variable Procedure:
1. After the control procedure is finished, take the pill-bugs out of the petri dishes.
2. Cut green paper into the size of the petri dish. Place inside of petri dish. Repeat with black paper into other petri dish.
3. Place 5 pill-bugs into each petri dish using tweezers. Place timer at 10 minutes.
4. During each minute interval, observe and record data based on findings.