October 17, 2019 - Special Thursday Edition
Dear CCS Families,
Please remember there is no school tomorrow, October 18th, 2019 due to Parent-Teacher Conferences.
Communication is the key to student success. We are pleased to see so many families connecting with all educators during our conference window. While these meetings have been happening all month long, it is a pleasure to hear the celebrations of student achievements and goal setting for the coming months. We all have the same goal in mind - a successful learning experience that supports the social, emotional and academic growth of each child. Thank you for taking the time to be part of these conversations.
A Halloween Parade and a visit from Pumpkin Man have been a long tradition for the community of Charlotte. As we begin developing a shifting vision for future experiences that continue to be anchored in our community resources, aligned to the learning of our students, and capturing our mission at CVSD, this year will be our final year of hosting the Halloween Parade, during which we will bid a fond farewell and heartfelt thanks to Pumpkin Man.
As you begin to plan for our upcoming Halloween parade, we ask that all costumes be respectful of everyone in our community. Costumes should not misrepresent groups of people, perpetuate stereotypes or exaggerate violence. For example, it could be offensive or unkind to dress as another gender, race or cultural group. If you'd like more information about the cultural implications of celebrating Halloween in schools please read this article about perpetuating stereotypes. To be clear- no prop weapons and leave accessories at home that may get lost or broken. We invite students who are choosing not to wear costumes to join our many staff who will be wearing the CCS spirit wear.
Stephanie, Jen and Cassandra
IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER
Friday, October 18th
NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS - Parent/Teacher Conferences
Book Fair, CCS Library, 8:00am - 3:00pm
Tuesday, October 22nd
Field Trip - Grade 3 Team to Shelburne Museum, 9:00am - 12:45pm
Early Release, 1:55pm
Friday, October 25th
Re-Take/Make-Up Picture Day! 8:15am - 9:15am
*Re-Take pictures - you must return your unwanted packet.
*Make-Up pictures - present photographer with your order before picture taken.
Teacher Appreciation Luncheon (sponsored by 7/8 families), Staff Room, 11:00am - 1:00pm
Tuesday, October 29th
Early Release, 1:55pm
Thursday, October 31st
Halloween Parade, Schoolwide, 8:30am - 9:15 - will Pumpkin Man visit CCS?
REMINDER - NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS ON FRIDAY, OCTOBER 18TH
Friday, October 18th is reserved for Parent-Teacher Conferences in all CVSD schools. There is no school for students on this day.
ESSENTIAL ARTS CONFERENCE AVAILABLE CONFERENCE TIMES
Lisa Bresler - K-8 Art
Please email for appointment times: firstname.lastname@example.org
Thursday, October 17th: 2:00-6:00
* If the above option does not work for you, feel free to suggest an alternative & I will do my best to accommodate your schedule. Please email me to schedule conference times.
Nick Elderton - K-2 Physical Education / 5-8 Health
I will be in the MPR gym, feel free to stop in.
Friday October 18th: 8:00-12:00
Reina Guarnaccia - 5-8 Spanish
Please feel free to stop into my classroom.
Friday, October 18th: 8:00-11:30
Matthew Kent - 1-8 Physical Education
Please email email@example.com or call 802-345-6696 to schedule a conference.
Monday, October 14th: 7:00am - 8:00am & 3:10pm - 4:10pm
Tuesday, October 15th: 7:00am - 8:00am
Wednesday, October 16th: 7:00am - 8:00am & 3:10pm - 4:10pm
Thursday, October 17th: 7:00am - 8:00am & 3:10pm - 4:10pm
* Of course, if none of these times work for you, please feel free to suggest some alternatives.
Monica Littlefield - K-4 General Music, 5-8 Choral Music
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call (802) 425-6629 to schedule a conference.
Monday, October 7th: 7:30am - 8:00am, 3:0pm - 4:00pm
Monday, October 14th: 7:30am - 8:00am, 3:0pm - 4:00pm
Wednesday, October 16th: 7:30am - 8:00am, 3:0pm - 4:00pm
Sarah Pierson - 3-4 Spanish and 5-8 French
Please feel free to stop into my classroom.
Friday, October 18th: 8:00am - 3:30pm
Andy Smith - 5-8 Band and 4th Grade Music
Please email email@example.com or call (802) 425 - 6653 to schedule a conference.
Monday, October 7th: 3:30 PM - 5:00 PM
Thursday, October 10th: 3:30 PM - 5:00 PM
Monday, October 14th: 3:30 PM - 5:00 PM
Thursday, October 17th: 3:30 PM - 5:00 PM
SCHOOL LIBRARY NEWS
A huge thank you to our volunteers, staff, students and families who made our Scholastic Book Fair a success! It's not too late to order. Visit our online fair until Wednesday, October 23. All purchases benefit our school and will be mailed directly to your home.
LOST AND FOUND
Friday, October 18th only - Lost and Found will be set up in our Lobby for parents attending parent/teacher conferences in hopes owners may be "found". Even if you don't have a conference , stop by and check it out. There is much to be found.
Our Lost and Found tables are starting to fill up! Lost and Found is in a new location this year - in the lobby/atrium by the MPR. Please look there if you are missing clothing, shoes, lunch boxes or other items. Periodically, we clean these tables out and donate items to Goodwill.
Additionally, we are finding lots of clothing on the bus, the playground, and in the cafeteria - many items do not have student names in them. If you can put your child's name on their clothing, that is a huge help - especially layering items like sweaters, hoodies, vests, and coats.
Thank you! Our next clean-up date is Friday, October 25th.
JOB OPENINGS AT CCS
CVSD CHILD FIND NOTICE
Champlain Valley School District (Charlotte, Hinesburg, Shelburne, St. George and Williston)
Child Find Notice
Champlain Valley School District is required by federal law to locate, identify and evaluate all children with disabilities. The process of locating, identifying and evaluating children with disabilities is known as child find.
Champlain Valley School District schools conduct Kindergarten screening each spring, but parents may call to make an appointment to discuss their concerns at any time. As the school district of residence, CVSD has the responsibility to identify and provide services to any child with special needs who may require special education and related services in order to access and benefit from public education.
If you have, or know of any CVSD resident who has a child with a disability under the age of 21 or a child who attends a private school located in Charlotte, Hinesburg, Shelburne, St. George or Williston, Vermont, we would like to hear from you. Sometimes parents are unaware that special education services are available to their children.
Please contact the School Principal (Charlotte Central School – 425-2771, Hinesburg Community School – 482-2106, Shelburne Community School – 985-3331, Williston Central/Allen Brook Schools – 878-2762) or the Director of Student Support Services, Meagan Roy at 383-1234 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
MARK YOUR CALENDARS!
2019-2010 BOLTON VALLEY SKI & RIDE PROGRAM
Important Parent Meeting and Registration
Thursday, October 24, at 7:00 p.m.
In the CCS Library
- Five week program, on Tuesdays - immediately after school on Dec 10th, Dec 17th, Jan 7th, Jan 14th, and Jan. 21st. Tentative makeup date, if needed, will be Tuesday, Jan 28th. Open to students in grades K through 8. Kindergarten, first, and second graders must be accompanied by a chaperone, or shared chaperone.
- Cost is $120*, includes bus or car transport, and discounted lessons. Lessons are mandatory for new skiers and boarders ($40), optional for others at a reduced cost of $50. Students that sign up for lessons must commit to take them for the entire program. Students who hold a Bolton Season Pass or are 6 and under, the Program cost is $55. ***Please add $15 to any totals if you do not plan to participate in the Holiday Plant Fundraiser (i.e. $120+$15= $135). All checks made out to “Charlotte Recreation”.
- Chaperones are needed to maintain a 1-to-10 ratio of chaperones to skiers. Chaperones ski at sharply reduced rates and are expected to help and have fun. Some Chaperones are needed to ride the bus. Please help if you can. More information at the meeting!
- Buses leave CCS at 2:05 pm and return to CCS by 7:15 pm. Your child MUST, unless pre-arranged, return the same way he/she arrived. If changes occur for the ride home, the Parent or Child MUST notify the bus coordinator or the driver of the car in which your child arrived.
- School Equipment is available at no charge on a “first come/first serve” basis. We make every effort to outfit everyone who needs equipment. Helmets are now required to reduce head injury and keep heads warm. We have helmets for loan. The BVSports Shop at Bolton Valley is offering 25% off any ski related items if bought by the first day of the school program.
- BVSports Shop at Bolton has full season rental packages for equipment at reduced rates, more on packages at information night.
- We can use more equipment… please donate if you can, (especially shaped skis & helmets).
- Registration acceptance is on a first come/ first serve basis due to space availability.
- Payment and Registrations are due in school Friday, November 1st , with signatures by parents and students. A late fee will be charged for registrations after November 14th. Forms will be given out at the meeting and will ONLY be available in the CCS office the day AFTER the parents’ meeting. Registration requires both parent or guardian signature and student signature of code of conduct. Please Note: Bolton Valley will not accept any registrations after Monday, Nov. 25th.
- Questions: Michael Krasnow, 425-3997 or email at: email@example.com.
- * * * * * Financial Aid / Scholarships are available***** for any student. Call Michael Krasnow, 425-3997, or Betsy Lloyd, 425-6613 for information.
- Parents and students will agree to abide by the rules of the program.
REMINDER - HOLIDAY PLANT SALE DATES:
ORDERS WILL BE DUE IN CCS OFFICE BY FRIDAY, NOVEMBER 15TH.
PICK-UP WILL BE TUESDAY, DECEMBER 3RD IN MPR LOBBY.