Public Fire Service
Program of Study
The public fire service program is designed to provide occupational preparation in federal, state, local, and private fire protection agencies and for those desiring to enter fire service work in such areas as firefighting with emphasis in fire prevention, inspection, and safety practices.
Program Learning Outcomes for Public Fire Service AS Degreet
Upon successful completion of the Fire Academy Program students will be able to:
- Perform skills that meet National Fire Protection Association Standard 1001 for fire fighter and California State Fire Marshal Standards for fire fighter
- Demonstrate written and verbal communication skills required for entry-level fire fighter positions.
- Analyze emergency and hazardous conditions that are inherent to the firefighting profession.
This degree program meets the requirements of the California State Board of Fire Services Certified Firefighter I and college or university preparation.
Note: The units earned in The Basic Fire Academy 060 are nontransferable.
Fire Academy Checklist
Prerequisites to the Basic Fire Academy include
- Completion of all Fire Technology core courses,
- Meeting the NFPA 1582 medical standards,
- Passing the physical ability test and
- Completing Emergency Medical Technician I course,
- Taking and passing the National EMT Certification Exam, or receiving certification in the State of California,
Major Requirements for the A.S. Degree
Suggested Sequence of Courses
- FTC 121 Physical Fitness for Public Safety Personnel 3
- FTC 121L Physical Fitness for Public Safety Personnel - Performance and Assessment 0.3
- FTC 101 Fire Protection Organization 3 units
- FTC 102 Fire Behavior and Combustion 3 units
- FTC 103 Personal Safety 3 units
- FAC 008 B* Optional- Physical Ability Practice
- FTC 104 Fire Prevention Technology* 3 units
- FTC 105 Building Construction* 3 units
- FTC 106 Systems and Equipment* 3 units
- FAC 008 Physical Ability Exam
- FAC 007 Orientation and Physical Fitness 0.3*
- FAC 060 Basic Fire Academy 12 units * **
*Selective enrollment. Course prerequisites must be fulfilled prior to enrollment.
** Materials fees required
Total Units (Major) = 35.9
In addition to completing the major requirements, students must also complete the general education requirements as outlined in the appropriate catalog for the AS Degree.
Students learning rescue skills in the basic fire academy.
Student field trip to LA Fire Museum.
Fire Tech club members teach fire safety to over 1,000 children every year at SAC's Kindercaminita event.
Santa Ana College Fire Technology Program
We are located in the Caesar Chavez Building- Room A-113