Tiger Choir Chronicles
Travis Tiger Choir Weekly Updates
December 11 - December 15
News for Everyone
Winter Concert Rehearsal Monday After School
Our Winter Concert is this week! After discussing with our THS Orchestra Director, we added a combined orchestra & choir rehearsal on Monday, December 11th from 3:00 pm - 4:00 pm.
Because of the short notice, out of respect for student schedules and their various after-school activities and jobs, this rehearsal is not required, however, we need as many students as possible to make every effort to be at this rehearsal in order to ensure a successful performance on Tuesday, December 12th at the Winter Concert.
Please email me if you have any questions.
Winter Concert Information
Our Winter Concert is THIS Tuesday, December 12th at 7:00 pm. It is going to be a beautiful, free, holiday event and I hope everyone is able to enjoy it in the audience. A light cookie reception sponsored by our Booster Club will follow the concert. More details are below:
Concert Time: 7:00 pm
Student Call time: 6:15 pm
Uniform: Tuxedos and dresses. All tuxedo students need to remember black dress shoes, black socks that cover the ankle, black tuxedo pants, white dress shirt, vest, TIE, tux jacket. Non-varsity students who wear a tuxedo will be receiving their vest on Tuesday in class. Students wearing dresses need to remember that they need to wear black DRESS shoes (flats or a short heel) with their uniform.
ATTENTION: Solo & Ensemble Contest
Solo & Ensemble Contest that will be taking place on Saturday, February 3rd at Hodges Bend MS. As I told students, EVERYONE will learn a solo in January, but the contest itself is completely OPTIONAL. Students who choose not to compete will still perform their solo for a major grade. I have assigned all solos, and will be distributing them Monday and Tuesday in class.
To enter the contest, students will need to bring in $40 THIS WEEK as we are now past the deadline. The $40 entry fee includes a $12 contest entry fee, and the $28 accompanist fee. Mr. Tanner (accompanist from our fall concert) has agreed to play for our THS students and will include 2 rehearsals AND the contest performance in the $28 fee. This is a GREAT deal as many instrumental students may pay $40+ for their accompanist.
In addition to our in-class work that we will do on solos, students who enter for the contest will also be required to have 2, 15-minute mini-lessons with me after school. I will announce those days in January and students will be able to sign up for times to ensure they receive individual coaching on their solo.
This is a GREAT time of year for students to work on individual skills and grow as independent musicians. I hope many of our students take advantage of this opportunity to sing for a judge, receive a rating, and possibly get awarded a medal!
THANK YOU to our generous Tiger Choir Sponsors!
Please consider supporting our local businesses who support our students! Click their logo below to explore their website!
Support THS Tiger Choir
- Help by purchasing needed items from our Amazon Wishlist posted on the choir website . Each of the items on the list will help us stay organized and support students in their choir success while allowing us to use the budget funds to purchase large items, music, and other supplies.
- Become a Choir Sponsor! If you or your business would be interested in becoming a choir sponsor, please email Mr. Miner for more information and how to donate! Our various donation levels are available to view here. No gift is too large or too small and goes directly to supporting the students of the THS Tiger Choir program!
What Did We Do Last Week?
Upcoming Schoology Assignments
As part of their reward for a successful fundraiser, students earned a free week with no Schoology assignment. To help students focus on finishing strong, there is NO weekly assignment due this week for choir.
Events this Week
- Monday, December 11th: "Hallelujah Chorus" rehearsal after school from 3:00 - 4:00 pm
- Tuesday, December 12th: Winter Concert 7:00 pm
- Thursday, December 14th: Last day for Solo & Ensemble entry (money due)
- Saturday, January 6: Area Auditions at Deer Park High School
- Monday, January 8: Varsity Treble Rehearsal 3:00 pm - 5:00 pm
- Tuesday, January 9: Incoming Freshman Social (details coming in January)
If you don't use Google Calendar, check out the choir website often where events are regularly posted and updated.
Graduation for Travis has been announced to take place on Thursday, May 23rd at 7:30 pm at the new Fort Bend Epicenter. This is a required performance for all Chorale students so please be sure to mark your calendars now. Transportation will be provided for students.