June 11, 2021, Volume 12, Issue 35
Notes from the Principal
Parents & Guardians,
So, so close - we're almost there! Next Friday, June 18th, is our last day and it's a half-day, dismissal is at 11:30. Student placement is underway. Placement is a complex process that we take very seriously and put a lot of thought into. Our "goal" is to have placement complete and letters going home by Friday, June 25th.
Fifth graders are celebrating on Thursday, June 17th. Friday is a school day for everyone and we will be doing doing our annual Closing Circle to acknowledge our 5th graders as they get ready to move on to the Middle School.
It's that time of year we want to say farewell and thank you to employees who are leaving Orchard School:
- Kate Branon - Kate has been a special educator with us for 18 years. Kate is an amazing teacher and will be greatly missed at Orchard School.
- Mikayla Hines - Mikayla is also a special educator. Mikayla has been with us for two years and she quickly became an integral part of Orchard Staff.
- Emily Evenson - Emily (like a few others) was hired in mid-August. Emily had the difficult assignment of starting and teaching a new first-grade class and she rose to the occasion! We are grateful that Emily was with us this year to provide so much for our first graders.
- Olivia Smith - Liv started as a student-teacher a year ago. We hired her this year as a long-term substitute teacher for Ms. Susie back in the fall and Ms. Liv stayed with us for the remainder year. She has been a terrific asset to our school all year and she will be missed.
- Dana Blow and Rachel Valliere - Ms. Dana & Ms. Rachel have served as interventionists in our pre-school program for the last four years. They've been invaluable to our pre-school program and we wish them Happy Trails .
- Myles French - Myles came to us this winter as a recess supervisor. We're so happy he is heading back to college. Keep up the good work Myles!
Happy Trails to all of these colleagues and thank you for being part of Orchard School and making a difference in the lives of our students.
We also want to say Safe Travels to two of our staff members - Our 3-5 School Counselor, Auriel Gray, and our kindergarten teacher, Lydia Koch, are taking a year away. Have a great year - see you in August, 2022!
The teacher line-up is listed below for all classroom teachers PreK - 5. Arts teachers special education teachers and more will be shared in August.
Please see the "Library News of Note" for information regarding Orchard's Summer Library program and some reading incentives offered by local groups. Also, take a look at Mrs. Macdonald's "Collections" in Destiny Discover for lots of "Summer Fun" and coding links!
Our Gardens need a Boost! Please contact us if you would like to volunteer with weeding and mulching before the end of the school year or during the summer. Your help will be much appreciated.
Congratulations to all of our SB High School graduates - especially our Orchard alumni!
A new playground structure is in sight, please consider a donation!
Have a great weekend, take some time to read with your child.
Quote of the Week:
"You cannot shake hands with a clenched fist."
From Indira Ghandi, Prime Minister of India
Last Day - Half Day!
Memory Books are In!
Memory Books are in and will went home with students today. Forgot to order one? No problem, we have a limited number of Memory Books to purchase for $14 available on a first-come, first-served basis. Please contact the front office to secure your copy. Make checks payable to “Orchard PTO”
Grade 2 Chalk Art Brightening the Front of School
Good News about our Summer Breakfast & Lunch Program
The 2021 USDA Summer Breakfast and Lunch Program will be available to all students and children in the South Burlington Community from Monday, June 21st until Thursday, August 19th. The USDA Summer Food Service Program is free to all children under 18 yrs. old. Meals are available via pickup or delivery Monday-Thursday
Household deliveries within South Burlington will occur between 9:30-11:00 Monday-Thursday with Thursday's delivery containing meals for Friday-Sunday as well.
Pickup time at FHTMS main lobby is from 9:00-10:00 AM, Monday-Thursday with Thursdays pickup containing meals for Friday-Sunday as well.
Meals must be ordered in advance on a week-by-week basis via an online meal ordering system.
Introducing our Classroom Teachers for 2021-22!
Summer Library News
Come to Orchard School's library! SBSD employee and former Orchard School parent, Janette Hasenecz, will once again be running the Summer Library program at Orchard School. Thanks to the generosity of our PTO, the library will be open for eight weeks on Wednesday mornings from 9-12, beginning on June 23rd and ending on August 11th. Our summer theme is "Go for the Gold." Every student who comes to Summer Library will receive a special prize that just might have an Olympic game connection. Families may come in each week for a different surprise.
While at Summer Library, Orchard School students may play a game of checkers, build with LEGOs, and, of course, check out some books. Mrs. Janette will be changing activities weekly so stop by on Wednesday mornings for some books and some fun!
Can't make it on Wednesday mornings? In addition to this, our "Little Free Library" located in front of the school, is a place where students may give and take donated books 24/7. Please feel free to clean out your bookshelves for donations, as well as stop by to pick up a couple of "new to you" books over the summer.
Mr. Schmidt's 3rd Grade Class Helping Out in the Gardens
PLEASE CONSIDER MAKING A DONATION TOWARD THE PLAYGROUND FUNDRAISER DURING THE LAST WEEK OF SCHOOL!
Every dollar MATTERS!
With your help, this summer the Orchard playground may be getting a major (and long overdue!) upgrade so that more outdoor play is possible!
You can donate on Konstella - please go to: https://www.konstella.com/open/donations/606e045136bc69794fb9453c or you can send a check or cash into school with your child - just mark 'playground' on the envelope. If you have any questions or you want to donate but neither method works for you, please email firstname.lastname@example.org!
EVERY DONATION COUNTS! Consider asking your friends, neighbors, and relatives for just $5 each - it all adds up! Thank you - we look forward to seeing you on the playground this summer!
HANNAFORD is supporting our school again! Please purchase a reusable shopping bag for $2.50 at the store on DORSET STREET - Hannaford will give us $1.00 for each bag purchased during the month of June!
And, don't forget those BOX TOPS!
Join us in earning CASH for our school by using the Box Tops app. It’s an easy way to make a difference. All you have to do is buy Box Tops participating products (like Cheerios!) and scan your grocery receipt. Box Tops are worth $.10 each and they add up fast! Twice a year, our school receives a check to help pay for whatever we need - equipment, supplies or experiences the kids love!
Download the Box Tops for Education app at your App Store or here: https://btfe.smart.link/c2jjdifkw?referral_code=VI7J42XS
School Nurse Notes
***Please Pick Up Your Child’s Medications***
- As the school year comes to an end, I’d like to remind you about picking up any medications your child has in the Health Room. This includes any medications that your child may need again next year; medication is not stored in the health room over the summer.
- All medications must be picked up by an adult or they will be disposed of by June 24th. Please wait to pick up Epinephrine Auto-injectors and inhalers on the last day of school.
- Please call or email me with questions, to make arrangements for pick up, or to give permission to dispose of the medication.
Darcy Mazlish, School Nurse
Photos of Girls on the Run at the 5K here at Orchard School
Annual Student Update Forms Are Open for the 2021-2022 School Year
Get started today! Please register your student for the 2021-2022 School Year by completing the Annual Student Update forms before August 17th. These forms help families verify and share important health and contact information as well as allow for permissions to be set for school technology devices. To start, click this link: Getting Started: Register a Returning Student. If you have questions or need assistance with this process, please contact your school directly.