Great Pacific Garbage Patch

What is the Great Pacific Garbage Patch

A gyre of marine debris particles in the central North Pacific Ocean. They do not know the exact size but it is miles by miles. When people litter or not recycle their waste ends up being washed in to the ocean and floating to the gyres. There are two large patches that are in the ocean. They are between the west side of the United States and off the east side of Asia

What is the cause of the problem?

About 80% of the debris in the Great Pacific Garbage Patch comes from land-based activities in North America and Asia. The other 20% of debris in the Great Pacific Garbage Patch comes from boaters. The big cause of the garbage in the ocean is people littering and not recycling their plastic and other materials. We cannot go out there and get it because most of it has became micro-plastic.

Why is it a global issue?

There are many reasons why The Great Pacific Garbage Patch is a global issue. One reason is how it relates to how effective national policies are on waste minimization in different countries. Another is all of the trash washing up on all of the beaches and nobody cares. Last is it is getting worse every day because of people littering and not recycling their waste. When they do this their waste gets washed into the water and harms the water.

Solution to The Problem

There are many different solutions to decrease the amount garbage. One is find a biodegradable plastic. This would reduce the amount of plastic in the ocean because it would decompose after use. Another is use other things besides plastic to reduce the amount. Last is pick up your trash and recycle what you can. Because of this the little bit you help keeps the Earth cleaner.
Where Is The Biggest Garbage Dump On Earth?

My sources

"Great Pacific Garbage Patch." National Geographic Society. N.p., 19 Sept. 2014. Web. 02 June 2016.

"Solutions." Garbage Patch The Great Pacific Garbage Patch and Other Pollution Issues. N.p., 12 Feb. 2012. Web. 02 June 2016.