Bumpus Special Edition
JULY 16, 2020
Please see the district website for specific plans.
- HCS Reopening Plan
- Learning Options Proposal
- Full-time Virtual School
- Full-time Virtual Learning Intent Form (this is a firm commitment for planning purposes)
- HCS Frequently Asked Questions
- New School Year Calendar
Here's what I know for Bumpus (subject to change based on HCS and ALSDE guidance)....
All Bumpus students have the option of traditional face-to-face school, blended learning or virtual school. The commitment to attend virtual school needs to be submitted by Monday, July 20th at noon (link above).
- Virtual school students will be supported by Bumpus teachers to the greatest extent possible. In the virtual school, some, but not all, Bumpus electives will be offered. Virtual school coursework is self-paced, however, students will have a scheduled check in time with their content teachers.
- Blended Learning option allows a student to be enrolled in virtual school but continue in-person instruction in areas of particular interest that cannot be supported in a virtual format. If you're interested in Blended Learning, you need to sign up for Virtual School. Parents will have to provide transportation to and from the school, and students must be dropped off and picked up within 15 minutes of their scheduled on campus class time each day.
- Tentatively, I anticipate allowing students on campus for Math Team 6, 7, 8; Bands; Choirs; Spanish I; French I, Academic Support, and Reading/Math Interventions. These in-person courses will have to be attended everyday. You are enrolled in the course on campus, not virtually.
If you start in one format, you can switch to another at the end of each nine weeks.
Revised School Supply Lists are linked below.
All Bumpus students are expected to wear a face mask to school everyday as required for students in grades 3-12. Masks can be removed for lunch and exercise. All Bumpus personnel will have a face mask and a shield. The state is providing three reusable masks per student and adult. In the classroom, students will be facing the same direction to the greatest extent possible. Students are asked to bring their own filled water bottle. We have water filling stations throughout the school but students may not sip from a water fountain. Students will not dress out for PE but should be prepared to exercise in the clothes they wear to school.
Before & After School Activities
Virtual and Blended Learning students can participate in extracurricular activities. If a virtual school student is not participating in Blended Learning with a selected group such as Math Team or a specific band/choir, the student will have to demonstrate proficiency in order to perform/participate with the group.
School Access and Transportation
All students will be assigned a hall locker at the beginning of the year. A staggered rotation of locker visits is planned to decrease the number of students in the halls. Face masks are required to ride the bus.
The Bumpus health room will be available for routine health matters. Students exhibiting COVID-like systems will be quarantined in another area until parents arrive.
Bumpus is planning to provide students with three seating options to allow for adequate distancing during lunch. Students will be offered seating outside, in the cafeteria and in the classroom. No microwave use available.
Students with an IEP or 504 should consult with their case manager to determine the best setting for learning.
HCS will not be conducting contact tracing. However, we will comply with local agency requests, such as from ADPH, as we always do for other illnesses such as flu and measles.
If you plan to come into the building.
Please be prepared to wear a face covering and to have your temperature read by a handheld scanner. We also have hand sanitizer available. Thank you for helping to keep us all safe.
Back-to-School (tentative) Timeline
***All dates and information are subject to change according to CDC guidelines, Department of Health regulations, ALSDE SEAL Task Force recommendations, and district requirements.
July 29th (date change) - Welcome packets mailed
Packet includes: Team letter/assignment, Class schedule, Bus information, Locker information (all students will be assigned a locker), Year-long school calendar
*6th graders needing tDap immunization and any students needing an updated blue card, with lease/deed issues, with incomplete online registration, and with any A/R issues will not receive their packets.
Students new to Bumpus (6th graders and new enrollees)
School visitation dates - August 4th - 6th, 9:00 - 3:00 This is not a "Meet the Teacher"
A - F Tuesday, August 4th
G - L Wednesday, August 5th
M - Z Thursday, August 6th
Evening Option for Students new to Bumpus
Monday, August 10th, 4:00 - 7:00
***Students will receive written and/or video communication from their teachers prior to the beginning of school.
Virtual Fall Open House
LIveStream at 6:00 pm
August 31st (6th)
September 1st (7th/8th)
***All of the above dates and information are subject to change according to CDC guidelines, Department of Health regulations, and district requirements.
If you have questions or concerns, we are here to listen and will always respond. You can email us directly or through firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Tamala R. Maddox, Prinicipal email@example.com
Mr. Justin Jones, 6th grade Asst. Principal firstname.lastname@example.org
Ms. Donna Burke, 7th grade Asst. Principal email@example.com
Mr. Sean Colosimo, 8th grade Asst. Principal firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Tamala R. Maddox
- All Bumpus students are expected to wear a face mask to school everyday as required for students in grades 3-12. Masks can be removed for lunch and exercise. Masks must be school appropriate but do not have to be a solid color.
- Arrival and Departure Procedures have been revised.
- Locker and restroom access will be more structured to improve distancing.
- No microwaves available for reheating.
- Students are asked to keep their personal belongings to a minimum.
- Many traditionally shared items will not be shared unless they can be sanitized between uses.
- Students will not dress out for PE but should be prepared to exercise in the clothes they wear to school.
- Students can expect traditional instruction with more Chromebook use to minimize contact.
- Student desk will be sanitized between classes.
- The schedules of our custodians are being adjusted so they'll be on campus more during instructional times to increase sanitation efforts during the school day.
- Traffic patterns are being redesigned.
Parents please anticipate more carpool traffic due to an increased volume. We ask that you be patient.
Parents will have to provide transportation to and from the school, and students must be dropped off and picked up within 15 minutes of their scheduled on campus class time each day. A Blended Learning student is allowed to ride a bus TO school for 1st period or FROM school following 8th period.
Because I know you need to make transportation decisions, tentatively, I anticipate following the schedule below:
Morning hour courses (~ Pd. 1, 2, 3) - Math Team 6, Math Team 7, Jazz Band, Symphonic Band, Beginning Band, Choir 6, Choir 8, Show Choir, Reading Intervention, Math Intervention, Academic Support, Spanish I
Midday hour courses (~ Pd. 4, 5) - Concert Band, Beginning Band, Choir 6, Reading Intervention, Math Intervention, Academic Support, Spanish I
Afternoon hour courses (~ Pd. 6, 7, 8) - Math Team 8, Beginning Band, Choir 7, Reading Intervention, Math Intervention, Academic Support, French I
These in-person courses will have to be attended everyday. You are now enrolled in the course on campus, not virtually.