EV Staff News
May 28, 2019
Our vision is to be a Healthy and Literate Community!
QUOTES on Trauma
"The antidote to vicarious trauma is community." Dr. Vilma Reyes
"Traumatic events overwhelm the system." Dr. Vilma Reyes
"Trauma is contagious" Judith Herman
"Seemingly simple things hold great depths" Ken Doane
"Loyal to our suffering" Jack Kornfield
""You can be mad at me, but I am not in trouble." (in response to someones anger towards you) Cowell Retreat Colleague
"Yes, this is hard and yes, we are strong." Cowell Retreat Colleague
"We need to make sure we are not saturated by sorrow but warriors of compassion." Eve Ekman
Laura Van Dernoot Lipsky
1. Get your heart rate up and sweat 6 times a week!
2. Practice gratitude...
3. When you are washing dishes, folding laundry or stopped at a red light check in with yourself.
- How much caffeine am I using?
- Am I over scheduled or busy?
- I am too critical?
- How much sugar am I eating?
- How much screen time am I doing?
- What are my current barriers?
- Am I isolating?
- Am I principal/mom at home? (Cameron has said that to me more than once)
She delivers her message with humor, compassion and an understanding of what it is like to work in our field.
Theater of War
I was fortunate enough to watch a performance by Theater of War while I was at the Cowell Convening. They perform Greek tragedies and then facilitate a dialogue about the issues that arise from watching their performance. They often perform for military personnel as they heal and recover from their experiences. It was moving, unsettling and thought provoking. They will be performing at the Green Center in October and it is free.
Description of Theater of War:"Theater of War Productions works with leading film, theater, and television actors to present dramatic readings of seminal plays—from classical Greek tragedies to modern and contemporary works—followed by town hall-style discussions designed to confront social issues by drawing out raw and personal reactions to themes highlighted in the plays. The guided discussions underscore how the plays resonate with contemporary audiences and invite audience members to share their perspectives and experiences, and, helping to break down stigmas, foster empathy, compassion, and a deeper understanding of complex issues."
Great Resources About Trauma in Children and Vicarious Trauma
SAL May by miturri
FROG SG by miturri
I am also grateful for all of you. There are good times and challenging times. I am not perfect and will make mistakes. Sometimes the same ones over again. I am grateful to have the opportunity to try again. Making mistakes is a part of life and how we recover is the mark of who we are and what we value. Reminding myself to approach each day with gratitude is an opportunity for me to grow and learn.
"Thank you for giving the opportunity to be grateful." (quote unknown author)
Accomplishments this YEAR! (Repeat)
1. All students are being instructed using Readers and Writers Workshop and Bridges Math,
2. All students are being monitored in reading progress using the A-Z assessment & On Demand Writing Prompts,
3. We ran 5,000 laps in the jog a thon,
4. We donated 45 turkeys from the Sonoma Mission Inn and Spa to families,
5. Teachers are receiving excellent professional development in the teaching of reading from Teachers College in NYC and our own EV staff,
5. Plein Air donated $10,000 for art classes and supplies this year,
6. Teachers are working together doing peer to peer observations and talking about instruction in their grade levels,
7. The EV Family Resource Center are serving families with case management, leadership and education. We offer over 20 classes for parents,
8. Children are reading more than ever and want to talk to their friends about the books they are reading,
9. Valley Vibes Orchestra is AMAZING!
10. After school enrichment classes including: art, Zumba, athletic club happen every week,
11. Our preschool serves 48 tiny learners preparing them for kindergarten,
12. EV showed its community strength by showing up in the Vintage Festival Parade.. 100 strong,
13. Families attended Back to School Night because they are interested and fully supportive of their children's education,
14. Redwood Food Bank now offers a Food Pantry at EV on Fridays at 8am,
15. Opera a la Carte performed for the third, fourth and fifth graders,
16. First Congregational Church planted plants for the school on the field
17. Altimira teachers and admin visited EV for learning and collaboration,
18. The FRC is supporting mental health services for over 30 families,
19. We served 600 lunches at our Welcome Back to School BBQ,
20. EV has over 200 volunteers on campus, at events and most importantly supporting their children's learning,
21. Parents requested and learned about LGBTQ communities and Adverse Childhood Effects,
22. We hosted our first every before school BBQ for families,
23. Our students designed bathroom art for a safer feeling,
24. We opened our Wellness Center and Meditation Room,
25. Ballet Folklorico is providing classes to students once a week,
26. Our PTO and ELAC groups are collaborating together on events and fund raising,
27. Local businesses donated gifts for over 100 families during the holidays,
28. Cinco de mayo brought in $3,965 in fund raising,
29. The Golf Tournament raised 20,000 for our programming next year,
30. Valentines Day dance was AWESOME!
Up Coming Events
Mon. 27 holiday
Wed. 29 Grd Level meeting 1:55pm - 31, ELAC for all 6pm
Thurs. 30 Sing a long 9am, Social Media for Parents 6pm
Fri. 31 EV Field Day and BBQ, SSC & ELAC
Tues. 4 Preschool Grad
Wed. 5 On your own
Wed. 5 Awards Assembly
Thurs 6 Promotion
Fri. 7 Teacher Work day and staff party at Barb and Dan's
Thurs. 13 Elementary Principals
Fri. 14 Principals TK-12
Fri. 21 Leadership Meeting for maite
Fri. 9 New Teacher Orientation
Tues. 13 Restructuring Team 9am
Wed. 14 Staff Development, Welcome Back BBQ for Families 6pm
Thurs. 15 Teacher Work Day
Fri. 16 Welcome Back and Planning
Mon. 19 First Day of School - Minimum Day, Staff check in 2pm
Tues. 20 Minimum Day
Wed. 21 Minimum Day, Grade Level (on your own)
Fri. 23 Staff Party 4pm
Mon. 26 Grade Level 3:30, Staff Meeting 4pm
Wed. 28 Grade Level 1:55pm
Fri. 30 Family BBQ, ELAC 6pm