Lowell Memo: Issue #8
November 15, 2013
Published by Lowell School & the Lowell PTA
Greetings from Lowell!
Thank you for continuing to support our school in so many different ways! This week's Memo includes many opportunities to celebrate and support our school community. Continued thanks to all of you for planning and taking part in events like Trivia Night, Green Club, our Veterans Day observance, and beautification efforts (just to name a few!). In this season of thanks, we are appreciative of the many opportunities we offer Lowell students as a result of a supportive community of parents and staff.
Today also marks School Board Members Day, and we are grateful to the countless hours our school board members contribute to our school community. Please be sure to share your thanks when you see them around town.
Have a wonderful weekend!
Thank you, American Legion Post 76 & Major Steve Fixler!
American Education Week Spirit Week starts Monday!
- Monday, November 18: Be sure to listen to the morning announcements on Monday! A special kick-off song will be played for all staff & students to enjoy. Also enjoy a special assembly from Imagination Theater sponsored by the Lowell PTA!
- Tuesday, November 19: Lowell makes us feel warm & fuzzy! (Pajama Day)
- Wednesday, November 20: We are proud to be part of the Lowell Community! (Lowell Spirit Wear or Lowell Colors - Blue & White)
- Thursday, November 21: We wear our “thinking caps” at Lowell! (Hat Day)
- Friday, November 22: We are fans of Lowell School! (Favorite Sports Jersey/Favorite Team Colors Day)
*Lowell student art work will also be displayed at Seven Dwarfs Restaurant in celebration of AEW.
Ornament Tree @ Lowell
If you have any questions, please call Mrs. White at Lowell School or Pam Klein (630-665-9886).
Make a Difference Day Thanks
Written by: Mollie (5M), John (5U), and Atticus (5R).
Thank you Lowell School for your donations during the Make a Difference collection week! We asked all Lowell families to send in items such as electronic games, beef jerky, gum, mints, and batteries to send to our U.S. soldiers who are Wheaton’s adopted battalion.
The Make a Difference box was filled to the top! Way to go Lowell for helping those soldiers! We are thankful that Lowell families sent various items to make our soldiers know Lowell cares. Once again, thank you all!
Lowell Holiday Bazaar- December 7
Take a break from the big box stores and visit our annual Holiday Bazaar on Saturday December 7th from 9 a.m.-1 p.m. in the Lowell Gymnasium. Shop for handmade or customized items that are offered by local artisans and vendors. Custom jewelry, handbags, beautiful knitted items, gingerbread creations and holiday wreaths are just a few of the items you can expect to find.
This event will also feature a Santa's Secret Shop where your little ones can shop for the people on their list for as little as 50 cents per item. Bring your list and check it twice! We look forward to seeing you there.
For questions or more information please call or email Beth Madiol at (630) 480-0871 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Christmas Sharing is a joint endeavor between local churches and District 200 schools to help provide some extras to needy local families. Lowell School will be collecting the following until MONDAY, DECEMBER 9:
- Canned/boxed food /baby food
- New toys
- Paper products (toilet paper, paper towels, diapers)
- New socks and underwear
- Outerwear (coats/hats/boots/mittens)
Donations can be dropped off in the hallway outside the office .
New to the Nest: Katerina Rallis
Get to know SCARCE- a great community resource!
Just next door in Glen Ellyn is an organization called SCARCE, which stands for School & Community Assistance for Recycling and Composting Education. Their mission is to inspire people, through education, to preserve and care for the Earth's natural resources, while working to build sustainable communities. SCARCE works closely with local schools, including Lowell, and offers a variety of programs, such as environmental workshops and recycling opportunities. It is an especially great resource for teachers and scout leaders. Through their Book Rescue project, SCARCE collects any and all used books to be re-distributed to teachers, schools, and community groups that might be able to use them, and through their Tools for Schools project, they collect gently used school and office supplies, art and craft supplies, musical instruments, and more for use by area classrooms. To learn more about how SCARCE can serve you (or how you can serve SCARCE!), visit their website at www.ScarceEcoEd.org, or attend their upcoming Open House on Thursday, December 5, 2013, between 3 p.m. and 7 p.m. They are located at 799 Roosevelt Road, Building 2, Suite 108.
Upcoming Dates to Remember
- November 18- Imagination Theater Assembly courtesy of Lowell PTA
- November 20- Cook's Night Out at Chick-Fil-A
- November 21- Circus in PE
- November 21- PTA (7 p.m.)
- November 22- 4th grade field trip to Fractured Fairytales play
- November 25-29- Thanksgiving Recess (No school)
- December 3- Band concert @ Wheaton North for northside feeder schools
- December 7- Holiday Bazaar (Details above)
- December 13- PTA (9:30 a.m.)
- December 16- Winter Concert
Cook's Night Out at Chick-Fil-A
Wednesday, Nov. 20th 2013 at 5-8pm
301 East Loop Road
This time the leaders of our school, the 5th graders, will be in charge of the prize-winning spinning wheel! Every dollar raised from this wheel goes directly to Lowell!
And we're also giving you yet another reason to attend! The class with the highest percentage of attendance will win a pajama party at school with the Chic-fil-A Cow making an appearance in their classroom!
Help raise money for Lowell, while dining at a local restaurant that not only gives back to the community, but has great food and is a fun place to hang out with family and friends! See you all there!
Boxtops Benefit Lowell
To classroom Boxtop Coordinators: Thank you so much for helping earn money for Lowell School! Please remember to count your classrooms Boxtops and put them into baggies of 50. There is a box in the office that they can then be put in. Thank you again for your time and energy clipping and counting. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me, Colleen Gemelli-Dunbar at email@example.com .
2013-14 PTA Meetings
- Thursday, November 21st- 7 p.m.
- Friday, December 13th- 9:30 a.m.
- Thursday, January 23rd- 7 p.m.
- Friday, February 21st- 9:30 a.m.
- Thursday, March 20th- 7 p.m.
- Friday, April 11th- 9:30 a.m.
- Thursday, May 15th- 7 p.m.
All Thursday evening meetings will be held in the LLC.
All Friday morning meetings will be held in the Art Room.
Free babysitting is available at each meeting.