November 3, 2014
Weekly Happenings - 2nd Six Weeks: Week 5
Monday, Nov. 3
- Lesson Plans Due - 8:30 a.m.
- Grades Entered into GradeSpeed - 8:30 a.m.
- Admin meeting @ 9 a.m.
Tuesday, Nov. 4
- PLC - 7:50
Wednesday, Nov. 5
- North Texas Food Bank Distribution
- New Teacher Academy @ 3:50 in Library
Thursday, Nov. 6
- THINK COLLEGE THURSDAYS - Students/Teachers wear college t-shirt/hoodie with jeans
- 6th Field Trip - Boys (Gutierrez)
- 6th Grade Lesson draft due
- SBDM Meeting @ 3:45 p.m.
Friday, Nov. 7
- Faculty Jean Day with Spirit Shirt
- End of 2nd Six Weeks
- 6th Grade Field Trip - Girls (Gutierrez)
- Sigurdson Meeting - a.m.
- Admin Meeting - 2:00 p.m.
- NTFB Distribution
Saturday, Nov. 8
- Saturday School - 8:30 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
COACH'S CORNER w/ Ms. Manning
Do you want to create an effective learning environment for your English language learners?
Here are some ideas that you can implement in your classroom.
1. Link the content to the students’ previous knowledge?
2. Build background information? Show a video or read a book aloud about your topic first.
3. Think about the materials you will need to build content area vocabulary? What visuals will you need?
4. Reflect on how you can teach to oral, visual, auditory, and kinesthetic learning modalities.
5. Prepare teaching aids such as maps, charts, pictures, and flashcards before the lesson is taught.
6.Pre-teach vocabulary in context
7.Provide concrete “real” examples and experiences.
8.Model your thinking processes for students using “think-alouds”.
9. Have students work in small groups or pairs so that language and concepts are reinforced.
How do we get our most reluctant learners to participate in class discussions while allowing them to save face at the same time? Click on the title above to check out these participation strategies taken from Rick Smith's Conscious Teaching.
Nov. 10 - Staff Development
Nov. 11 - Verify Gradebook
Nov. 17 - Issue Progress Report