Arctic Light K-8
Do Good Work, Be a Friend, Every Day - January 3rd, 2022
Jan 4th - First Day of 2nd Semester for students
Jan 10th - Report Cards are available through PowerSchool
Jan 10th - Encores begin for Intermediate Students
Jan 17th - MLK Day, No School
Principal's Message - a New Year
A new year, a new semester: a time to reflect, dream, and improve.
The Interior of Alaska experienced a stormy month of December. If you're aching from all the snow removal you're not alone. Rare is the resident who doesn't dream of another warmer location during these times but then this is our home.
Report cards for the second semester will be available through PowerSchool on Monday, January 10th. Teachers are finalizing grades this week. Tuesday, students start with a fresh grade book and now is a great time to improve one's learning.
Good student habits are key not only for schooling but for life:
- pay attention when directions are being given
- ask questions when you don't understand
- get started on your work quickly
- work when you can so you don't have to during your evening
- have friends that help you and in turn you help them
- learning never stops even when a grade is given
- ask your teacher for opportunities to redo or improve your work
- proficiency at your times tables is key to the next level of mathematics - practice
- nightly reading keeps expanding your vocabulary
Much of today's learning builds upon prior knowledge. The image many educators use is a brick wall. If bricks are missing, the wall becomes weaker. When you know of a weak area in your child's education reach out to your child's teacher. Teachers have many tools for addressing learning concerns.
Our spring State Testing (STAR) for 3rd-8th graders, provides one glimpse into your child's educational knowledge. The test is nearly identical to our MAP test which students take three times a year. Many students know their MAP scores and can break them down into their areas of strength and areas need.
Before the STAR testing this April, our school board will be voting to change district school structures. The big area where Arctic Light can be effected is our school being changed to K-5 not our current K-8. Additionally, our school boundary would be expanded to adjust to enrollment loss of students in 6-8th grades.
Remember, masking is optional starting January 3rd, 2022. We have plenty of staff and students who will be wearing masks and if masks are needed we still have many extras. Covid safety practices, like cleaning and distancing, will continue along with increased Covid testing at Arctic Light.
Do Good Work, Be a Friend, Every Day.
Scan Your Box Tops - No More Clipping
- Download the App and select Arctic Light Elem.
- Scan your receipt with the App
- Use the App to earn money for our school.
- Thank You!
New Substitute Levels
Starting January 3rd, one can substitute with only a high school diploma.
The increased pay, for a substitute with more education, is still available.