The Eagles' Nest January 2, 2022
The Community Newsletter of EXCEL Academy PCS
Volume 3, Issue 8 (Revised)
New Year, New You!
"It's a new season, it's a new day!"
With all of the transitioning that took place last month, many of us were happy to have the opportunity for a mental "reset" and begin 2022 with a new mindset and a fresh perspective. We want to be intentional about bringing positivity to our daily activities now more than ever. This month, we want to begin our year by ensuring that our scholars can put forth their best effort with learning, whether they are learning virtually or in person. While students are home, we depend on the parents and families to help support them in having the most authentic learning experience possible. We continue to be excited to partner with you during this time.
Here are some of the things we are preparing for as we put our best foot forward in January:
- Virtual instruction for scholars from January 3rd - January 14th.
- EXCEL Open House
- Mobile Vaccination School Clinics - 2nd Dose
- Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Holiday
- Charter School Lottery Window closes for the SY23 school year
- Middle of the year assessments (iReady and Reading Fluency)
- End of 2nd Quarter
Virtual Instruction Updates
Schoolwide Morning Meeting and Announcements: We will continue to build community by holding our meetings daily through January 14th. Scholars can use the same link used in December (it was emailed to them several times.) We will open the doors at 7:40 a.m.!
Principal Sothern's Open Office Hour: For the next two Tuesdays, I will have a virtual office hour open for parents who prefer "face-to-face" contact with the Principal. Please note that I will not be able to hold extended conversations, but if you need a quick (no more than ten minutes) word of advice or have a question, please feel free to "drop in." If you arrive and another parent is in the room you may have to wait a bit until that conversation is over before you are allowed in. The first Tuesday will begin on January 11th. Here's the link: https://pgcps-org.zoom.us/j/84457243264?pwd=ZFZ5MU5LU1RqekxlVWpJR2JpTnVJUT09
Schedules: Scholars should have a daily schedule sent to them by the close of business Monday if they do not already have one.
Device Pick-Up: Scholars who need to pick up devices and chargers will do so between 8:00 and 9:00 a.m. on our first day of instruction. Due dates/times will be extended for students whose parents had to retrieve work for them during that time. If you are having an issue with a device, please send an email to Ms. Hite at firstname.lastname@example.org to get direction on how to resolve the issue BEFORE bringing the device to the school.
- Meal Pick-Up: Families will have the opportunity to pick up meals from our school building on Mondays and Wednesdays between 10:00 and 12:00 p.m. for students who are registered at our school. If you plan to come, please complete this Google form by 8:30 a.m. to reserve the number of meals needed for your scholars: https://forms.gle/uPDMKew1uES89dCF9
IB Learner Profile of the Month: THINKER
Students who are Thinkers exercise initiative in applying thinking skills critically and creatively to recognize and approach complex problems, and make reasoned ethical decisions.
In what ways can we encourage our scholars to be Thinkers, both at school and at home?
Random Pool Testing and Vaccine Clinic 2.0
- Random Pool Testing: We are asking ALL parents to please consider signing their child up for random testing so we can have an additional instrument to help us monitor cases, especially if they may be asymptomatic. Random Pool Testing Registration Link
- Vaccine Clinic: The second dose vaccine clinic held at EXCEL is scheduled for Wednesday, January 12, 2022. We are urging all parents to bring their children in for their second doses which should have been scheduled during the first clinic. ANYONE interested in a first or second dose or a booster can also sign up. A new link will be forthcoming. Individuals younger than 18 receiving vaccinations must have a parent or legal guardian complete the appropriate consent form and bring it to the clinic:
- Vaccine Consent Form for Minors
- Parental Delegation Form Authorizing the Immunization of a Minor
A Message from our Charter Operator: SEED, Inc.
Meeting ID: 860 0075 8117
Via phone: +1 301 715 8592 US (Germantown)
Meeting ID: 860 0075 8117
Important Dates to Remember: January 3 - 16, 2022
- Monday, January 3rd: SNOW DAY (no virtual instruction)
- Tuesday, January 4th: SNOW DAY (no virtual instruction); 2nd quarter Progress Reports published online
- Wednesday, January 5th: Student device and meal pickup pending PGCPS announcement.
- Thursday, January 6th: Family Market Meal Distribution 12:00 - 2:00 p.m.; EXCEL Virtual Open House @ 6:00 p.m.,
- Monday, January 10th: Student meal pickup day
- Wednesday, January 12th: Student meal pickup day; COVID-19 Vaccine Clinic (2nd Dose)