Currency and Demographics of Mexico
Rodrigo Robinson - 1st block Esp. 1
Currency - The Peso
Mexico uses a mix of coins and paper money that they call the peso. Currently, the value of 1 peso is about a thirteenth of an American dollar. This means that goods in Mexico cost a lot of pesos. For example: a single potato costs around 15 pesos, and a pair of nice shoes can cost in the thousands. For this reason, bills in Mexico range from 20 pesos to 1000.
Demographics: The population of Mexico
As of the beginning of this year, Mexico had an estimated population of 119,713,200. This makes it the 11th most populous country in the world. Some facts about the people:
- About 78.84% of the population of the country lives in urban areas, and about 21.16% live in rural areas.
- The population is growing at a rate of 1.12% per year
- Average life expectancy is around 75 years
- The primary religion is Catholicism
- 42% of the population lives below the national poverty line