West TV PTC - September 25, 2023
THIS WEEK'S EVENTS:
10/4: International Walk and Roll to School Day
10/6: All Star Dash
All Star Dash
Okay, All Stars! Are you getting hyped?
We have raised about ⅓ of our goal of $40k (almost $14,000) and when considering our $48k goal, we are at 29% of our overall goal. It’s time to turn up the fundraising !
If we meet our stretch goal this year, we’ll have new art to display at the end of the year made by students and a professional mosaic artist, Mark Brody! The last time WTV participated in the Artist in Residency program was in the 2016-2017 school year. The result was tile mosaics hanging outside the library in the shape of stars that display our school values.
“Having a project that all students were involved in created a sense of community and togetherness across the school. We'd love for our current All Stars to have this same amazing experience,” said Megan Brock, 1st grade teacher.
Mark Body, a talented mosaic artist, has partnered with multiple schools over the past two decades. Check out his previous collaborative school projects here. Mark will work with our students (all grades) multiple times throughout the year to collaboratively create the art project.
Do you have more questions? Check out the All Star Dash FAQ.
Thank you for your support!
West TV PTC and All Star Dash Team
International Walk and Roll to School Day
Hey All Stars!
International Walk + Roll to School is coming up on Wednesday, October 4th. This is just 2 days before our All Star Dash.
It is time to lace up your sneakers, or pump up your tires, get outside, and get active! Your West TV Green Team will be out in front of the school starting at 7:50 AM ready to greet you with music, bubbles, a small treat, and a high five for reducing congestion on our streets and harmful pollution in our air.
Parents, this is a great opportunity to get your students excited about active transportation. Getting exercise in the fresh air is the best way to get mentally and physically prepared for a day in the classroom. It is a great way for us to start our day too. Mark your calendar now and plan your route!
This event celebrates walking and rolling (bike, scooter, skate board, or bus) to school with prizes, class tallies to track participation, and a raffle for a new scooter and helmet provided by BSD Safe Routes to School.
All Star Reading Club
The All Star Reading Club is West TV’s voluntary incentive program to encourage our students to read books from a variety of genres. Starting in October, students will learn from our wonderful Library Media Assistant, Ms. Sanderson, about different genres of books. If they would like to participate, they can grab a book that fits the monthly genre. Once they read it, they need to fill out a report (available in the library and on the PTC website) and write a summary of the book. Kindergarten is only required to draw a picture, and the subsequent grades write one sentence for the grade they are in (e.g., 4th graders write four sentences about the book). Completed reports are returned to the library.
Reports may be turned in through the end of the following month (e.g., April's Poetry and Humor form can be turned in through May 31st). If a student misses a month, they can complete a report on a classic book as a makeup, but only one time.
Every week your All Star Reading Club chairs will take the reports home and ensure they are complete. Students can review their progress on the All Star Reading Club bulletin board in the library. For an outstanding report, students may even get to pick a prize from our All Star Reading Club treasure chest!
Students who complete five reports will be invited to our end of year All Star Reading Club party where they will receive a free book, enjoy treats, and listen to a storyteller! Students who submit reports for all eight genres will receive an extra bonus: a gift card to a bookstore!
This is a terrific way for students to explore all genres of literature and, perhaps, enjoy books they never thought they’d be interested in. Here are the genres for each month:
- October – Mystery & Scary Stories
- November – Historical Fiction
- December – Realistic Fiction & Sports Fiction
- January – Action & Adventure
- February – Biographies & Autobiographies
- March – Fantasy & Science Fiction
- April– Poetry & Humor
- May – Animals (Nonfiction) and Animal Stories
- Makeup – any month Classics
If you have any questions, reach out to us at email@example.com.
Current Committee Coordinator/Team Needs:
- Spooktacular Team: Help plan and coordinate this fun WTV community event in October
- Star Showcase/Talent Show Coordinator: Lead needed or will not have an event this spring
- Yearbook Co-Coordinator: Help this year, lead next year. Dorian studios provides software platform
- Photography Team: Take pictures of events or class activities and upload to the social media
- Family Art Night: Help this year, lead next year
- Green Team: We would love a Kindergarten parent or two to join the team.
Current and upcoming volunteer needs:
- Art Literacy: we especially need more volunteers for the 3rd and 4th grade classes. First training is on Tuesday October 10/3. AM and PM training sessions available.
- Fall Theater Club:
- Play practice monitors: 3 more shifts needed: 10/5, 10/12, 10/19
- Performance day: various shifts needed on Thursday 11/2 for set-up, wardrobe assistance, and clean-up
- Post-production party: 1 more volunteer needed for after school party on Monday 11/6
- All Star Dash: Friday 10/6. More volunteers for the 4th/5th grade time slot are needed (8:30-9:15am). We need at least 15 volunteers and are currently at 10.
- Kindergarten library time: Come help kids pick out books and read aloud. SIgn up in MyImpact under the "Classroom Specials" category
- Continent Club: 6 check days this year. For each event we'll need 16-18 volunteers to be successful. First event will be Thursday 10/26.
Please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in fulfilling any of the coordinator/team needs or sign up via MyImpact for the volunteer opportunities.
West Tualatin View Parent Teacher Club
The West TV PTC meets once a month. Our website is full of information about programs, meetings and more. Check it out! You’ll find all of the financial statements and meeting minutes for the current year, including the most recent ones, here.