the bluegrass state
2013 Kentucky Derby - Orb + Post Race
5 interesting facts
- Kentucky was named for an Indian word 'Kenhtahkeh' that means "meadowland" or "prairie
- Held every year since 1875, the Kentucky Derby is the oldest continuously held horse race in the country.
- In the spring, bluegrass produces bluish-purple buds that when seen in large fields give a bluish tinge to the grass.
- Kentucky's 400-miles-long Mammoth Cave is the longest cave system in the world and was first promoted in 1816, making it the second oldest tourist attraction in the United States.
- Abraham Lincoln and Jefferson Davis, the victor and vanquished of the American Civil War, both were born in Kentucky.