By Peter Goldsborough and Will Clippard
Where was Gandhi imprisoned?
He was imprisoned in India.
Why was Gandhi imprisoned?
May 5th, 1930
He was arrested for violating salt law (manufacturing salt without a license).
March 18th, 1922
He was arrested when a peaceful protest turned to violence.
October 7th, 1908
He was arrested when he tried to enter his country without registration.
What did Gandhi do in prison?
- When he first entered prison, he was undressed and forced to wear dirty jail clothes.
- He and 149 other Indian prisoners were huddled in a room meant for 50.
- When the warden came around, Gandhi asked to do labor but was denied.
- For breakfast and supper, the Indians were served just flavorless porridge and beans.
- Gandhi got tired of this, and got 100 other Indian prisoners to sign a petition to have better food. They started getting rice, bread, and vegetables and ghee(an Asian butter).