Safety & Sanitation
By: Gracie Smith
Kitchen Safety Tips
Preventing Cuts & Minor Injuries
1) Chop, dice, and slice foods on a cutting board
3) Wash sharp knives separately
4) Wrap broken glass in heavy paper before putting it into the trash
5) Avoid wearing loose clothing and roll up long sleeves when cooking
6) Tie back long hair
7) Do not carry a container of hot food across the room without first giving a loud warning to others
8) Open and oven door flat and pull out the oven rack when removing foods from hot oven
Preventing Electrical Shock
9) Handle electrical devices only when hands are dry
10) Keep food out of range when spraying chemicals. Wipe counters thoroughly when spraying
Taylor, Kristin, Kristin Taylor, and Kristin Taylor. "Food Preparation – Words On Wellness".Blogs.extension.iastate.edu. N.p., 2015. Web. 4 Apr. 2016.
"Top 9 Quick Hairstyles For Long Hair | Styles At Life". Styles At Life. N.p., 2015. Web. 4 Apr. 2016.
"Custom Color Seafoam Green 20" Apartment Size Dixie Antique Stoves".Antiquegasstoves.com. N.p., 2016. Web. 4 Apr. 2016.
1) Do not use a hand towel to dry dishes
2) Wear plastic gloves when working with food if you have an open sore on your hand
3) Wash tops of cans before opening them to keep dust and bacteria out of food
Separate Raw and Cooked Foods
4) Washed cutting boards and other equipment immediately after using them to prepare raw meats, poultry, fish, or eggs. This will help you avoid transferring bacteria from uncooked foods to other foods.
5) Never serve cooked meat, poultry, or fish on the same plate that held these foods before cooking.
Cook Foods Throughly
6) Do not partially cook meats, poultry, and fish just before baking. Remove stuffing promptly after baking; refrigerate leftovers separately.
7) Never set the oven lower than 325˚F when cooking meats.
8) Keep hot foods above 140˚F. Bacteria grows fast in warm foods at lower temperatures.
Chill Foods Promptly
9) Put frozen and refrigerated foods in your shopping cart last.
10) Wrap foods properly for freezer and refrigerator storage.
"Oregon Dismisses Glove Requirement For Restaurant Workers". Eatocracy.cnn.com. N.p., 2016. Web. 4 Apr. 2016.
"Safe Care And Washing Of Cutting Boards". www.eatright.org. N.p., 2015. Web. 4 Apr. 2016.
Free, Gluten, and How Freeze. "Preparing Food For The Freezer, Meals To Freeze -Vegan In The Freezer". Vegan in the Freezer. N.p., 2016. Web. 4 Apr. 2016.