What is homelessness ?
Homelessness describes the condition of people without a regular dwelling.
People who are homeless are most often unable to acquire and maintain regular, safe, secure, and adequate housing.
The legal definition of "homeless" varies from country to country, or among different entities or institutions in the same country or region.
What are the causes of Homelessness ?
Structural causes of homelessness are social and economic in nature, and are often outside the control of the individual or family concerned.
These may include
· a lack of affordable housing
· housing policies
· the structure and administration of housing benefit
· wider policy developments, such as the closure of long-stay psychiatric hospitals.
These problems require long-term policy solutions such as changes in the housing benefit system, the building of more affordable homes, and ensuring that a wider cross-section of society benefits from the fruits of economic growth
What are the effects of Homelessness ?
There are many effects of homelessness on individuals.
1. Health : homeless people often encounter a lot of health issues in their lives. Their health gets worse from time to time because they lack attention from people such as doctors, wives, husbands, and family members. And because of lack of necessities they suffer from multiple diseases such as:
- Cold Injury
- Cardio-Respiratory diseases
- Skin diseases
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Sleep deprivation.
- Mental illness
- Physical and sexual assault
- Drug dependency
Here some of the consequences:
- Loss of self esteem
- Becoming institutionalized
- Increase in substance misuse
- Loss of ability and will to care for oneself
- Increased danger of abuse and violence
- Increased chance of entering the criminal justice system
Homelessness all over the world
In the developing world, we are talking of large numbers of homeless in cities of 10 [million] to 15 million in countries like India, Brazil, parts of South Africa, the Philippines. Because in developing countries poverty is worst in the rural areas, the question of landlessness is very closely tied to homelessness and people not having a resource base — not being able to farm.
Homelessness in Morocco
A recent study revealed that more than 30,000 Moroccan children are homeless in what is seen as a growing phenomenon which places a lot of pressure on both the government and society.
In a study entitled “The phenomenon of street children in Morocco,” sociologist Chakib Jasous said that more than 1,000 children are homeless in Casablanca alone, 5 percent of which are illegitimate children of immigrants from sub-Saharan Africa.
How can we solve the problem of Homelessness?
we should take in homeless people, referred to them by places like Bellevue Hospital. Many of these people are fresh out of prison, with little safety net. we should house them. we should ensure and make them abide by a schedule.
Another way to end homelessness in our nation is to increase economic growth . This is basically having more jobs be available to the unfortunate.
In addition to economic growth, education is also an important factor in solving the homeless problem in America. Everyone should be required to at least have a high school diploma. For those who do not have one, such as drop-outs, or other situations, there could be resources to allow finishing. Research shows that education allows people to get better jobs.