The Echo Memo: May 16, 2016
A weekly memo to the Smith staff from your leadership team.
Bright Spots from the last Week....
VIEW PHOTOS - of last week's Bright Spots! PLEASE add more from what you see! :)
Making memories as beautiful as April Showers and Flowers!
- STAAR test PERFORMANCE! Thank you LEADERS!
- One and Only Ivan - Popular Read during STAAR!
- DHS Students help with Kinder Program: Passport to Summer
- Teacher of the Month Announcement! Congratulations Ms. VU!
- Math Grant Award for Shelby - School Board Recognition! WTG
This week students are 2nd graders - JENKINS
Select students for the week by MONDAY and have ready to roll.
Post their names in your room as a reminder.
Students will need to be in the office at 8:00am, ready to lead.
WRITING with a purpose
Thank you note to Nurse Holcomb and Nurse Johnson.
Silent lunch for STAAR days endured with the help of basket weaving!
DHS High Hats and NHS members came to help with Kinder Program. Three former students with Ms. Pryor happy to visit their first campus.
Questions and Answers from Staff Meeting 5/12/16
1. Q: What is the June 3rd schedule?
A: Still checking on this.
2. Q: What kind of locks for security will be on the classroom doors? Will the doors lock from inside the classroom?
A: Still checking on this.
3. Q: Can we open the building on a Saturday before school is out for teachers to be able to clean out their classrooms?
A: Yes, Saturday, May 28th the building will be open. Times announced soon.
4. Q: What needs to come off walls/what can be kept up?
A: ONLY remove those items you will NOT use next year, such as student work.
5. Q: When will we finalize End of Year Checklist?
A: At faculty meeting 5/19.
This Week's Highlights - View Calendar for full detail
Monday, May 16 - HOLIDAY
Tuesday, May 17 - Wear college shirts / caps
Fire Drill - 9:30 am
Wednesday, May 18 - Bright Colors / sunglasses
City-Wide Field Day for 4th Grade
Thursday, May 19 - Socks
Pot Luck LUNCH - Nacho / Taco Bar!
2:00 pm Visit Daniel - all 4th grade
4:00 pm Staff Meeting in Library, Finalize End of Year; Launch Beg. of Year
Friday, May 20 - Dress in Career Choice
All library books due from T. and Students.
2:00 pm Reverse Evacuation Drill
Monday, May 23
Dr. Mark Smith Visits Smith!
Last RtI Meetings in the Green Room - See Agenda / Preparation List
Intranet > Academics > Learning Walks
SMITH CALENDAR - Click to view the calendar
This Week Highlights ---- CHECK OUT THE ONLINE STAFF CALENDAR
Tools for Great Teachers: Wed-Thurs
Tools for Great Teachers Learning Session is scheduled for Smith Elementary teachers on the following two days:
Wednesday, May 18th and Thursday, May 19th.
Paula Rogers and Kathy Fad will lead a rotating mini session to teams in a two-hour session during the day in the Green Room.
The session will include a reflection of this year, and a focus for next year on:
- Beginning With the End in Mind
- Planning in Advance to Re-teach and
- Enriching at Tier 1.
This session will be very interactive and focus on the following topics:
- The importance of a culture of commitment to every student
- The Four Essential Questions of a Professional Learning Collaborative and Backwards Design Planning
- Planning in advance at Tier 1 for those students who either need intervention or enrichment, and
- Ideas and tools that can be used in every classroom to support student success at Tier 1
Click on the Link to Read More...
Subscribe for Instant Notification
This is the weekly Echo Memo through email. It is a way to share highlights of information posted in the Echo Memo Blog.
If you would like to get an email every time I post something in the blog - just type your email into the top right corner - where it says, "FOLLOW BY EMAIL." Otherwise, I will send you highlights prior to the new week
If you are having trouble accessing the calendar, be sure to contact our Media Specialist, Lavina Padgett. If you have items to add or see something that needs revising - please contact her!