By: Shivani T.
Signs or Symptoms
- Anxiety attacks when in social situations
- Intense anxiety in social situations
- Avoidance of social situations
- Pounding Heart
- Muscle Tension
- Upset Stomach
How does Social Phobia affect someone?
- Person feels lonely or disappointed over missed opportunities for friendship and fun
- Not getting most out of school
- Missing a chance to share their talents and learn new skills
- Afraid of doing things in front of people
Other Forms or Names
- Social Anxiety
- Selective Mutism
How is it diagnosed?
- Physical exam: to rule out physical symptom triggers
- Fill out Psychological Questionnaires
How is it Treated?
- Challenging negative thoughts
- Learning Breath Control
- Facing Fears
- Changing Lifestyle
- Anxiety Meds
- Beta Blockers
Social Phobia could develop partly due to genes
and temperament a person inherits.