for the Week of May 13 Plus
Reminders from the Principal
All teachers must begin cleaning out their rooms ASAP. ALL personal items must be taken home ASAP. As soon as Girls Basketball tryouts are completed, we will begin marking off the practice gym for storage. We will be making use of students, custodians, staff, teachers, maintenance and anyone else we can dragoon into it to move. We currently are planning on having the building open the morning of May 18 for teachers to come and move personal items home. Mr. French will be here as well and will be available to move classrooms to the gym as needed.
All teachers should be reviewing expectations and class rules with every class at a minimum of once a week. When doing group or partner work, expectations and group norms should be revisited.
Make sure you are checking your Check-Out list for due dates. We have a lot to get finished before school is out and not a lot of time. Do not fall behind.
The forms for submitting Parent Contacts are in the Google Classroom. Make sure these are up-to-date. It is the expectation that parent contacts are entered when they are made not at the end of the nine weeks or days/weeks/months later. It is imperative that these contacts are made prior to the end of the Nine Weeks. we cannot have any surprises. All students who are failing your class must be contacted before the end of the semester.
All teachers will be required to administer a minimum of four assessments every nine weeks: two before progress reports and two after. The two Unit Assessments count towards the total minimum assessments required: One unit assessment must be before progress reports and one after. Plan accordingly so that required RTI activities can be completed prior progress reports and report cards going home. Progress reports were sent home this week and we will be checking grade books to ensure the minimum number of assessments have been administered.
I need to remind ALL staff members of a couple of things: 1) all staff members are required to remain on campus during the work day unless they have permission from an administrator to leave for school related business (teachers must sign out in Mr. Anders' Office and classified must clock out as well), 2) All staff are responsible for electronic communications and items shared through the google platform. We will be adding additional documents as the year progresses. "I did not read my email" or "I did not know how to access the google folders" is not an acceptable excuse.
Spring Exam Exemptions
There are currently four ways available for students to try and exempt semester diagnostics. Exemptions are a privilege extended to the student body as a whole and may be revoked at the discretion of the school. The exemption requirements and deadlines are listed below and will be announced in morning announcements and on social media as well as in weekly school broadcasts prior to the dates. These are hard deadlines and students and parents should plan accordingly to ensure all requirements are met by the posted due date. Late submissions will not be accepted.
1. Pride of the Panthers - Must have an "A" average for the semester in every class, no unexcused attendance (includes absences, check-ins, check-outs & tardies) and no discipline referrals
2. Panther Passes - 30 Panther Passes and a "C" average in the class for the semester
3. Math Scantron Exemptions - to use Spring Math Scantron Scores to exempt a semester diagnostic (either Math or Science) the student a) must meet or exceed their learning target in Math, b) must have no unexcused attendance in the testing window (includes absences, tardies, check-ins/outs) , c) have no Class IIs or IIIs on testing days and d) must have a clear balance in the lunchroom, library and front office.
4. Reading Scantron Exemptions - to use Spring Reading Scantron Scores to exempt a semester diagnostic (either English/Language or Social Studies) the student a) must meet or exceed their learning target in Reading, b) must have no unexcused attendance in the testing window (includes absences, tardies, check-ins/outs) , c) have no Class IIs or IIIs on testing days and d) must have a clear balance in the lunchroom, library and front office.
Testing Window: April 8 - May 3
Submission Deadlines for Exemptions:
- Deadline to sign-up for Scantron Exemptions - 3 PM. May 3 with Mr. Anders
- Deadline to sign-up for Pride of the Panthers - 3 PM, May 10 with Mr. Anders
- Deadline to sign-up for Panther Pass Exemptions - 3 PM, May 10 with Dr. Foster
The dates and times listed above are hard deadlines and late submissions will not be accepted.
All teachers will be required to sit with their students during lunch. Lunch is not duty free. All teachers are responsible for the students they take to lunch whether the students are in the hall on the way to lunch, in the line to get their food, at the lunch table, taking their trash to the garbage and in the hall on the way back to lunch. Supervision of students assigned to the teacher is one of the primary professional responsibilities of the teacher. Teachers are required to ensure their table and areas are clean when they leave the lunchroom.
Important Reminders for the Week of May 13 Plus
May 10 - Last day to sign up for Pride of the Panthers with Mr. Anders by 3 PM - see Mr. Anders during your lunchroom to sign up.
May 10 - Last day for teachers to upload evidence into Educate Alabama
May 10 - Grades due by 3 PM
May 13 - GEAR-UP Kick-Off Field Trip for eligible 6th & 7th Grade students
May 13 - Whole Group Faculty Meeting After School in Lunchroom @ 3:30
May 13 - HMS Intermediate/Advanced Band Concert @
May 14 - NJHS Meeting after school in Room 104
May 14 - Spring Baseball Tryouts after school
May 16 - MEDC in Conference Room
May 16 - 1st & 2nd Year Teacher Follow-up Faculty Meeting in Conference Room
May 17 - 2nd Semester Diagnostics Begin
May 18 - Building Open for moving personal items and classrooms
May 20 - End of Year Awards Program at Hueytown High School 6 PM
May 22 - Grades due by noon
May 22 - Grade Verification Sheets due by 3 PM
May 23 - Last Day for Students
May 23 - Report Cards Mailed
May 24 - Teacher Work Day