Major Family Update
École Kingston East Elementary School - Sept. 12, 2021
Enrolment and Reorganization
It was wonderful to see students back in our classrooms and to hear the laughter on the school yard once again. We will continue to support students in adjusting routines and to the return to in-person learning.
Last week we submitted our actual enrolment numbers to the board. At this time, we have 330 students registered in English classes and 458 students in French Immersion with a current organization of 14 English classes and 20 French Immersion classes. Due to the very high numbers in some of our primary and junior English classes, the board is granting us one additional English class for a total of 15. As a result, we will be reorganizing and redistributing students in English classes to create smaller groupings in 15 classes. A few moves may be necessary in French to adhere to primary class caps, but the organization for French Immersion will not change.
We will be communicating the details of our school organization and additional staffing to families on Thursday, September 16th with information about whether students are moving to a new class placement. On Friday, current homeroom teachers will assist moving students with locating new classes and line/up spots and with relocating belongings. Students will start in their new placements on Monday, Sept. 20th.
Although reorganization often occurs at our site due to the large numbers of registrations over the summer, we understand that this change may be difficult for some students. Please do not hesitate to reach out if you have any questions or need any assistance for your child.
email email@example.com phone: 613-650-5478
September 12th: Today is Firefighters National Memorial Day-Thank-you to Firefighters who have given their lives in the line of duty and to those who continue to work to protect us.
Coming Up:Monday, September 13th - Day 5
Tuesday, September 14th - Day 1
Wednesday, September 15th -Day 2
- Yom Kippur begins at sunset
- Staffing continues for KEES vacancies
- Yom Kippur continues until sunset
- Information re: class moves goes out to families
Friday, September 17th -Day 4
- Red Friday!
- Re-organization Transition Day to prepare students for new placements
Week of September 20th -International Week of the Deaf
September 20th -First Day of Reorganization-Students report to new classes
September 25th-26th Kingston Pride
September 26th- Police & Peace Officers Memorial Day
September 28th-Simchat Torah
September 28th- EKEES SAC meeting and Elections
September 30th -Orange Shirt Day
September 30th -Rowan's Law Day
October 1st -PA Day
Introducing Barney the Service Dog!
We have a student in our school who has a beautiful yellow Labrador Retriever Service Dog named Barney. Barney has been trained to support this student’s safety and communication needs. Barney has been at our school for the past few years.
Barney will be coming to school each day and will be supported by his handler, Ms. Finucan, in the classroom, on the yard, and throughout the school. Barney will stay primarily with his student in the classroom but will also be seen, always wearing his service vest, elsewhere inside and outside the building. Students will receive instructions about Barney and the important job that he performs.
A reminder to families that no other dogs are permitted on LDSB property. If you require a service animal to be admitted onto school property or if you have any questions, please contact Vice-Principal Margot Panet in advance to review LDSB protocols.
A Message from EKEES School Advisory Council Elections
Ecole Kingston East Elementary School Advisory Council will virtually hold our first meeting of the year and conduct elections for School Advisory Council positions on Tuesday September 28, 2021 at 6 p.m. All parents and guardians are welcome to attend. Watch for a Zoom meeting link to be sent!
We will make all efforts to collaboratively acclaim council roles for those who are interested, and we will establish secret ballot voting only if required in contested positions.
Who qualifies to hold an elected position? Any parent or guardian of students enrolled in the school. A member of a board cannot be a member of a school council established by the board (O. Reg. 612/00, s. 3 (6)).
Information about the roles of SAC positions is listed below as well as a ballot form that can be downloaded.
Please request and complete a nomination or self-nomination form to express your interest. Return to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have questions, please contact SAC Chair Shayla Bradley at email@example.com.
EKEES School Advisory Council Roles
- Arrange meetings, prepare agendas, chair meetings, communicate with the school principal, provide leadership
- Assumes the role of chair in the absence of the chair, may assist with chair’s duties
- Processes and records all financial transactions, prepares monthly financial report, reconciles accounts
- Provides complete minutes of council meetings
- Coordinating volunteers for SAC initiatives
- Thinking of fundraising initiatives, coordinating with other members like communications, volunteer coordinator, etc.
- Sharing information with our school community via social media and other outreach, working with school admin to do so
Indigenous Family Representative
- Indigenous parent/guardian/grandparent of an Indigenous student), ideally bringing Indigenous perspective and voice to the SAC
Division representatives (up to 2 each for Kindergarten, Primary, Junior)
- Members at large
- Attending/participating in parent involvement committee meetings and activities; reporting back to SAC; representing SAC/school at PIC
Arrival and Dismissal Reminders
Please don't forget that you must screen for symptoms each day prior to sending your child to school. Please respect physical distancing at all times. Dogs are not permitted on school property.
- Our start time is 9:15 am and supervision begins at 9:00 am. Walkers and students being driven to school should try to arrive as close to 9:15 as possible.
- If you are driving your child to school, please consider parking a few blocks away and walking from there.
- Please do not park or drop off students in the staff parking lot. Visitor parking lot is for drop off only. Please do not park in the fire lane.
- When students arrive, they will go directly to their class meeting spot at their assigned zone.
- To avoid unnecessary congestion, parents should not proceed onto the yard unless absolutely necessary ex. very young child or child with special needs.
- Please wear a mask if you accompany your child on the yard. Although, masks are not required outside when spacing allows, it is very difficult to maintain social distancing at these busy arrival and dismissal times.
- Please do not congregate! Once you have picked up or dropped off your child, please depart:)
- If students need assistance, staff members wearing safety vests can assist them.
- Staff will assist students arriving by bus in getting to their assigned meeting spot. Younger students in kindergarten and primary should have bus tags visible on their back packs.
- When the bell rings, staff will escort students into the building using a staggered entry to ensure stairs and hallways are not crowded.
- Please do not park in the main parking lot or in the visitor parking lot fire lanes. Please consider parking a few blocks away and walk to meet your child.
- Staff will escort students out of the building using a staggered exit to allow for physical distancing.
- Classroom teachers will take walkers and students being picked up by parents to the morning meeting spot and will dismiss them from there when the bell rings at 3:35.
- Bus loading will be supervised by staff beginning with kindergarten students accompanied by ECEs or teachers.
- Kindergarten students are boarded first by ECE's.
- EAs will supervise bus line-up spots and assist primary students in boarding their buses.
- Parents who must pick up their child, should come to the meeting spot and then leave the yard as quickly as possible. Due to our large numbers, at our site, we are asking parents to please wear a mask if you must come to the yard at this busy time when physical distancing may be challenging. Please do not congregate!
- Students attending afterschool programs will be escorted by childcare providers to the designated meeting spot for the YMCA or La Garderie.
- If there is no adult at a bus stop to receive younger students, the bus will bring them back to the school and parents/guardians will be contacted.
- If a child misses their bus we will contact parents/guardians. Please ensure that you have listed more than one contact number for the school
Check out the updated Covid 19 school screener.
As you may now know, Trustees of the Limestone District School Board voted unanimously to rename our school and establish the interim name, École Kingston East Elementary School. In making its decision, the Board of Trustees acknowledged the ongoing pain and harm related to the use of the former name particularly with Indigenous members of the community.
École Kingston East Elementary School is the name we will use for the short term until a renaming process takes place. Some of you may remember that Kingston East Elementary School was the place holder name used while our school was under construction. Our name has already been changed on many school and board items including our website, Twitter account, school letterhead etc. The former name has also been removed from the exterior of the building. We will continue to use the “Majors” spirit logo in the interim. We will also continue to encourage our school community to wear red and/or Majors wear on Fridays in support of our many military connections. Some items may take a little longer to change over, or may wait until a permanent name is chosen.
The renaming is governed by board administrative procedure 552 and the permanent name will be chosen by the Board of Trustees. While the details and timeline for the renaming process are still to be determined, it will provide a meaningful opportunity for students, staff and families to learn together. Our school is fortunate to have a wonderful team of educators dedicated to embedding the principles of equity, anti-racism, and inclusion in their teachings and classrooms, and as supported by the curriculum.
We will support students, families and staff during this transition to ensure everyone feels safe and welcomed. We will share more information as it becomes available.
Thank-you for your patience and support.
Anna Pacheco, Principal École Kingston East Elementary School
What if my child is late or needs to leave early?
In order to limit the number of parents on school property, we ask that students leave early only if it's absolutely necessary, e.g., for an appointment. If you are picking your child up early, please come to front door and ring the bell to speak with a staff member. We will bring your child to the door to meet you. If you arrive early to pick up your child, we ask that you wait off property until dismissal at 3:35 pm in order that we may stick to our safe dismissal routines as much as possible.
How do I get the School Messenger App?
How do I return borrowed technology?
If you have not already received an email from us with a link to the required medical forms, please email the school at firstname.lastname@example.org to receive the link. These forms should be completed digitally and submitted by email.