Hamilton Avenue School Update
Diane Chiappetta Fox, Interim Principal
Welcome Back to School! School Begins on September 1st
1st-5th Grade First Day Arrival at 8:00 AM
Kindergarten First Day Arrival at 9:15 AM
Pre-K First Day Arrival at 9:30 AM
August 19, 2022
Dear Hamilton Avenue Parents and Students,
Welcome back! We are looking forward to a wonderful year at Hamilton Avenue School. This newsletter contains a great deal of important information for you to review before the beginning of the school year. As in the past few years all pertinent documents are being sent digitally and will not be mailed home. We will also post a link to this newsletter on our website with all back to school forms. We made you a handy Back to School List to get the year kicked off strong!
- Get back in a good sleep habit - if you've been enjoying those late summer evenings now is the time to start getting the kids to bed earlier in time for the first day. Remember school-aged children require at least 9-12 hours of sleep each night.
- Practice opening containers, bags, lunch boxes with independence - for so many of our little ones, it is difficult to open their own snacks and lunches independently. Use the next week to "practice" with their brand new lunch/snack boxes or bags and have some picnics outside to work on independence.
- Can they fasten shoes and buttons - Please don't send students with all laced shoes or hard to close buttons on jeans if they've been wearing slip ons and shorts or sweatpants all summer! Often kids get so caught up in the fun of school they might need to rush to the bathroom and if they haven't had to unbutton a pair of jeans before, this can be the worst time to start!
- Talk about how to be a friend - With new students in every classroom this year, there are many new Huskies at Hamilton Avenue School and needing new buddies. Reminding our children what the first day is like for someone new will ensure everyone leaves having the Best First Day ever.
- Watch for Class lists will be coming home Friday, August 26th via email. Unfortunately this is delayed because the district is in flux with their overall sections. Please remember classes are created and balanced with great care based on the needs of all learners and reviewed by many staff members prior to being finalized.
- Medication should be dropped off directly to the nurse, please schedule an appointment with Mrs. Lucas via email at Angie_Lucas@greenwich.k12.ct.us She will return to school on Monday, August 29, 2022.
- Remember to phone in any change in school dismissal to the main office, (203)869-1685 by 1 PM. Please complete the form "2022 - 2023 Hamilton Avenue School Student Dismissal Information" below with your child/children's dismissal plan. Teachers will be confirming dismissal plans during Welcome Back phone calls.
We can't wait to see everyone soon so enjoy these last few days of summer and start preparing for the Best School Year Yet!
REMINDER all REQUIRED forms are to be turned in no later than September 9, 2022
- School Handbook Acknowledge Form (REQUIRED)
- Student Emergency Contact Form (REQUIRED)
- Authorized for Medical Treatment/Risk Notification (REQUIRED)
- Press Publicity Permission/Denial Form (REQUIRED)
- Notice of Network Use Opt-out Form (REQUIRED)
- 2022-2023 Hamilton Avenue School School Dismissal Information (REQUIRED)
Additional forms to be returned if applicable
- Student Device Loan Form (all new students and Kindergarten students)
- School Lunch Debit Account Form (if applicable
- Free and Reduced Addendum (must accompany application)
- Free and Reduced 2022-23 Application-Family (English)
- Free and Reduced Addendum - Spanish (must accompany application)
- Free and Reduced 2022-23 Application-Spanish
- Student Accident Insurance (if applicable)
The Greenwich Public Schools provides all of the materials students need to participate in classroom learning activities. Supply lists are frequently requested by parents for back to school preparation. They are not mandatory.Please click on appropriate link for school supply lists.
Arrival and Dismissal
As a reminder, student attendance and all changes to dismissal plans should only be done by calling the Hamilton Avenue School office by 1:00 on the day of dismissal. Please complete the form above for your dismissal preferences.
Our bell rings and doors open at 8:00 am*. We encourage all students to arrive at 8:00 to unpack and start their day. Our doors close and instruction begins promptly at 8:15 am. Establishing a routine ensuring an on-time arrival encourages effective executive functioning strategies and gives students the opportunity to settle into their day before instruction begins.
Students arriving by car, enter through the main parking lot on St. Roch Avenue and pull up to the front doors where teachers will meet you. Parents should exit through the exit only lane and obey the traffic sign, turning right only. Our driveway on Hamilton Avenue is closed to through traffic and reserved for school bus access.
Students walking and biking to school can store bikes in the bike rack near our playground and enter through the front doors of the school. Please remember to retrieve bikes at the end of the school day, as our playground is open to the public after school. Walkers should use the access points around the field to arrive to the main doors. (DO NOT ALLOW WALKERS TO WALK THROUGH THE DRIVEWAY)
Our bell rings and dismissal begins at 2:45 PM. Bus students will be dismissed to the bus hallways. Kindergarten students will be escorted to their dismissal locations by their teachers. Car Pick up at the main doors begins at 2:45 PM, please follow staff instructions. All other students will dismiss at the main entrance, escorted by teachers. Walkers and parent pick up dismiss by the bike rack on the field
¡Hola amigos! I am Señora Jacqueline Agashe, and I’m excited to join Hamilton Avenue as your child’s Spanish teacher. This is my third year with Greenwich Public Schools, I previously taught Spanish at Julian Curtiss, Parkway and North Street. Spanish is my first language and I look forward to helping your child learn Spanish. I’m originally from Houston, TX and graduated from Texas A&M University and I’m a proud Aggie. I’m certified to teach Spanish in grades K through 8 and started my teaching career as a 3rd grade bilingual Spanish teacher in Pasadena, TX. I previously taught bilingual kindergarten in Bridgeport for three years. Time flies when you love your career and I can’t believe this is my 12th year teaching. When I’m not teaching, I love spending time with my family, playing chess, learning new languages, and backpacking in US National Parks, Spain, Mexico, Costa Rica, and India. I currently live in Hartsdale, NY with my husband, daughter and our two cats, Dean and Bandit. I’m happy and eager to now be a part of the Hamilton Avenue School Family and look forward to working with everyone to share my love of Spanish language and culture.
I live in nearby Port Chester, NY with my husband, Joe, children Molly and Johnny and bulldog, Darla.
I have spent my entire GPS career teaching at Cos Cob School. I taught kindergarten, first, second and third grades. I am looking forward to teaching math and getting to know a new staff and community!
Mrs. McHugh joins us as a Math Interventionist.
Alison Tepper, who works primarily at Riverside school, will be returning to the HA ELL team as a 0.2 teacher this year. In May and June of last year, Alison worked with our kindergarten students and staff, and she hopes to expand her involvement with the HA community.
Alison has lived in Greenwich for more than 30 years, and has been teaching in GPS schools for more than 20 of them. She speaks Japanese and spent her summer vacation learning Spanish.
She currently lives in Cos Cob with her husband and two dogs. Her three daughters, now 27, 25, and 24 went through the GPS system.
School lunch will be available for free this year for any students that wish to order it. There will be one hot option along with several “grab and go” cold options each day. Breakfast will be available at 7:45 am for students.
PLEASE NOTE FREE AND REDUCED LUNCH FORMS ARE LINKED ABOVE AND WILL COME HOME ON THE FIRST DAY OF SCHOOL. Please fill these out and return them to the main office. Breakfast and lunch will continue to be free for ALL students, but we do need these forms filled out and returned to school in order to maintain this status.
Mark Your Calendar
31 9:00-9:30 AM Kindergarten Visit
31 11:30-12:00 PM Pre K Visit
31 2:00-2:30 New Student Visit
1 8:00 AM First Day of School Arrival for Students in Grades 1-5
1 9:15 AM First Day of School Arrival for Kindergarten
1 9:30 AM First Day of School Arrival for Pre K Students
5 No School Labor Day
26 No School Rosh Hashanah
4 School Picture Day
5 No School Yom Kippur
13 6:00-7:30 PM Open House