2022 Career Newsletter #7
College and Career Ready Students One Brick at a Time!
from the desk of valentine torres
At Hobart High School we strive to have our Brickies college and career-ready too. This newsletter will be released monthly highlighting career opportunities available to our students.
Having a job in high school can help you develop key skills, build a foundation of experience and earn your own money. It can be challenging to get hired as a high school student, so it may be helpful to learn about steps you can take to overcome these obstacles.
***Should you happen to know of any employers who are looking to hire students please send that information to email@example.com
>Find the information and support to help you on your path to college. >>Congrats! You're in college. Now let us help you master college's challenges. >>>Use our tips, helpline, and job search tool to find and do well in your first job.
States will usually set a minimum wage that is reflective of the cost of living in the region.
Deep River Water Park | Hobart, IN
Hiring for all positions • Great Benefits • Paid Training
****MUST COMPLETE ONLINE APPLICATION PRIOR TO ATTENDING JOB FAIR****
For More Info > https://www.deepriverwaterpark.com/jobs-fair-2022
>Please Share with your Friends<
- All departments: $12.00/hr.
- Lifeguards: $13.00/hr.
- Supervisors: $14.00/hr. commensurate with experience
Monroe Pest Control | Hobart, IN | Opportunities for 18+
- Ready for fun in sun?
- Are you a reliable & responsible teen?
- Do you have a good work ethic?
- Do you have a valid driver's license (meaning, no points on your license)?
- Can you work independently for up to 6-8 hrs?
- Can you understand a GPS system & reading maps (aka land navigation)?
- Are you looking for part-time work during Summer hours?
- Perhaps you can use some extra cash?
- Hourly rates will be discussed at the time of the interview.
- If so, you might be the right fit for Monroe Pest Control is ready to start taking applications for the Summer of 2022.
If you are interested, please complete this online application
Visit the company website to learn more.
Any immediate questions can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Description: Seeking a Bookkeeper for Hobart Middle School. Position available immediately. Position Purpose: To administer the school's accounting and bookkeeping activities, ensuring the accuracy of financial records and invoices + more
Paid Tuition for Advanced Manufacturing. Free Certifications and Degree Programs are available. Did you see the part that said PAID & FREE!? Ivy Tech, Lake County & Porter County. Apply using the link in the image below. #CAIC #manufacturing #IvyTech
Steak & Shake | Team Member- Starting at $13.00/hr. and up!| Full and Part Time Positions |
SalaryFrom $13 an hour
Night shift, Day shift, Evening shift
Full-time | Part-time
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Flexible schedule
- Paid training
6231 Us Hwy 6, Portage, IN 46368
Host | Texas Roadhouse
- Going out of your way to assist every guest
- Serving our Fresh-Baked Bread
- Exhibiting teamwork
- Effectively maintaining our wait and quote times
- Giving our First-Time Guests an extra special welcome
- Telling each guest our legendary Story
- Demonstrating to everyone that we are the friendliest place in town
6130 E. US Highway 6, Portage, IN 46368, USA, Portage, IN 46368
Cooks Needed | Schoops | Hobart
The past 25 years have brought about the expansion of Schoop’s Enterprises, Inc. We have sold many franchises in locations including Indiana, Illinois, Florida, and Nevada. Our sales have been in the tens of millions. Some of our locations also serve breakfast. Just like our handcrafted burgers, the breakfast we serve is hearty and second to none.
All of our locations are deep rooted into their communities. We have employed thousands of high school and college students, many local residents, with some of our employees being the third generation to work at our restaurants.
Classic fast-food chain, founded in 1948, serving burgers, fries, chili, shakes & bottomless coffee.
Apply in person 1409 S Lake Park Ave, Hobart, IN 46342
Host | BJ's Restaurant and Brewhouse | Hobart
2757 E 80th Ave, Merrillville, IN 46410
Pay: $11 an hour - Full-time, Part-time
Open interviews conducted daily - Walk-ins Welcome
NOW HIRING - Hosts
Part Time, Full Time
WHAT WE OFFER
- Diverse Culture
- Team Member Dining Discounts
- Comprehensive benefits* - Medical, Dental, Vision, Life Insurance and 401 K
- Vacation – paid time off*
- Career Advancement Opportunities
Benefits and vacation eligibility based on number of hours worked. Part-time Team Members must meet minimum average of 30+ hours per week.
Hosts are responsible for providing a Gold Standard first and last impression to every BJ’s Guest while controlling the restaurant's flow, ensuring every seat remains filled while on a wait.
Duties include but not limited to:
- Perform station opening/closing duties on each shift, including set up/break down and continual maintenance of Hospitality Desk and front entrance area.
- Demonstrate appropriate greeting and seating techniques. Greet as soon as guest walks in with proper BJ’s greeting and warm genuine smile. Provide all guests with a salutation. Follow all Hospitality Service Execution Steps.
- Use appropriate Table Manager techniques to maintain accurate and even seating and dining room quote times.
- Use proper BJ’s telephone etiquette to answer and direct calls.
- Maintain continuous restroom checks.
- Notify the manager of any quotes that have exceeded the time quoted, special guest needs or requests, large party execution needs and guest complaints, no matter how small it may seem.
- Ensure compliance with all Company policies and laws, including health and safety standards.
- Perform other duties as assigned by Management staff.
- Must be 18 years of age or over
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment with the ability to understand the restaurant's Table Management system
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Experience working in a team-oriented environment
- Knowledge of principles for dealing directly with the public
- Excellent organization and problem-solving skills
- Physical demands of the job include but are not limited to:
- Standing and walking during entire 8-hour shift
- Reaches, bends, stoops, lifts
- Must have the ability to lift up to 60 pounds in weight on a semi regular basis
Taco Bell | Team Member | Hobart, IN
What else is in it for you? A lot! Competitive pay, free meals with every shift, 401(k) with company match, insurance options, flexible scheduling, and development opportunities. We're passionate about you and want you on our team!
As a Team Member, YOU set the tone for the customer experience. You'll feed customers with great-tasting food and provide great service, so our customers keep coming back! Our customers are our number one priority, and if you feel the same way, you are guaranteed to succeed. You're a representation of the brand in everything you do.
McDonalds | Crew Team Member | up to $14.50/hr | Hobart, IN
SalaryUp to $14.50 an hour
CREW NOW HIRING UP TO $14.50 A HOUR!!
This job posting is for a position in a restaurant owned and operated by an independent franchisee and not McDonald’s USA. This franchisee owns a license to use McDonald’s logos and food products, for example, when running the restaurant. However, this franchisee is a separate company and a separate employer from McDonald’s USA. If you are hired for the job described in this posting, the franchisee will be your employer, not McDonald’s USA. Only the franchisee is responsible for employment matters at the restaurant, including hiring, firing, discipline, supervisions, staffing, and scheduling employees. McDonald’s USA has no control over employment matters at the restaurant. McDonald’s USA will not receive a copy of your employment application and it will have no involvement in any employment decisions, including whether you receive an interview for the job or whether you are hired.
Arby's | Crew Member | Hobart, IN
Address: 8150 East Ridge Road Hobart, IN - 46342
Property Description: Ridge Arby's
Property Number: 8835
Team Member | White Castle | Hobart, IN
SalaryFrom $11 an hour
- Weekly pay
- Free meals while working
- Paid vacation
- Medical, dental & life insurance
- Weekly paychecks
- 401K & profit-sharing plans
- Free uniforms
- Scholarship eligibility
- Promote from within practice
- And more!!
- Must love to smile, laugh & have fun!
- Previous food service or management experience a bonus, but not required
- Ability to stand for up to 8 hours during a shift & lift 30-50lbs repeatedly
- Enjoy working in a high energy, fast-paced environment
- Promote and drive the White Castle initiatives and increase brand loyalty
- Must be a good person, a team player, and treat others with care and respect
No experience? No problem! All you need is outgoing, positive energy and a desire to work alongside our awesome team!
Crew Member | Portillo's | Merrillville, IN
Night shift, Day shift, Monday to Friday
What’s in it for you?
- Competitive pay
- $3/hr. increase on 5 holidays*
- Employee referral bonus + quarterly gift
- Career advancement opportunities (we’re growing!)
- Dedicated Team Member learning & development
- Flexible schedules
- Free shift meals
- DailyPay: Access your pay when you need it!
- Monthly “Franks a Lot” employee appreciation
Team Member/Crew Member
Do you relish the opportunity to create lifelong memories with customers? Can you add that extra special ingredient to our staff? At Portillo’s, we’re looking for crew members to join our family! At the heart of Portillo’s, we value Family, Greatness, Energy, and Fun. Igniting the senses with unrivaled food and experiences, it all comes together to create lifelong memories for our guests.
Team Member/Shift Member | KFC | Hobart
As a Team Member, you could be the smiling face that greets and serves customers. Or you could be the cook that prepares our world-famous chicken (and tell your friends you know the "secret" – just kiddin'). Whatever job you do, you know what you do matters – to your team and to your customers.
SHIFT MANAGER POSITION:
At KFC, we feed the world. But we do more than fill people up. We fulfill their life. Our meals matter, and when we serve them with southern hospitality, we make our customer's day. So our jobs are more than a paycheck – they're about being independent, having fun, and making new friends.
Please keep in mind, this is just basic information and you’ll find out more after you apply. At KFC, what you do matters! So if you want to be part of a winning team, find out now why Life Tastes Better with KFC. Apply today!
H&M Retail Sales Advisor | Southlake Mall | Hobart
Title: Sales Advisor
Reports to: Department Manager, dotted line to Department Supervisor
You are responsible for delivering a Best Customer Experience that contributes to the Sales and Profit in your store. You always put our customers’ first and offer assistance and share your Product and Fashion knowledge. You create an environment that is easy for our Customers to shop through Store Operations and Great Garment Care. By sharing your knowledge and skills with your colleagues you actively contribute to creating a Best Team in order to meet the expectations of our customers. You work in accordance with H&M standards, policies, procedures and legal requirements. By acting in line with our Values and being a role model, you contribute to H&M’s business success.
Role responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Best Customer Experience
You are responsible for delivering a Best Customer Experience that contributes to the Sales and Profit in your store. You always put our customers’ first and offer assistance and share your Product and Fashion knowledge.
Cashier | Home Depot | Merrillville
Cashiers play a critical customer service role by providing customers with fast, friendly, accurate and safe service. They process Checkout and/or Return transactions, as well as monitor and maintain the Self-Checkout area. They proactively seek product/project knowledge to provide customers with information and identify selling opportunities. They follow all policies and procedures to ensure that shrink is minimized. A Head Cashier will position Cashiers and support them by expediting price checks, approving Point of Sale transactions and markdowns for mainline registers, Self-Checkout, Returns, Pro Desk, Special Services, and Tool Rental. They provide first level escalation for customer issues and assist in the supervision, coaching and training of other Front End Associates by participating in the training of new Cashiers and utilizing all available tools to coach and develop other Cashiers. The preferred qualification for a Head Cashier is 1+ years of Cashier experience.
Sales Associate/Stylist | Windsor | Southlake Mall | Hobart
STEP UP TO A FABULOUS CAREER!!
Beauty is eternal. It is captured in the way you feel and in the way you look. It is timeless. Every generation needs to feel beautiful. Some things don’t change. Some things should not change. Helping women feel beautiful has been our mission since we first opened our doors in 1937.
Windsor expects great job performance. This includes contributing individually and as a team player in meeting company goals and supporting our mission statement, as well as displaying a friendly, respectful and optimistic personality. In addition, all employees must show integrity in complying with policies, procedures and guidelines.
All Employees Receive
- 40% employee discount
Full Time Employees Receive
- Life Insurance
The Indiana Plan's mission is to address and correct the problem of low minority participation in the union-building trades. To do this, we offer comprehensive services for both the signatory contractors who work with us to find recruits and also for the minority and women workers we help train and find jobs in the union construction industry in Indiana.
We Build NWI
We Build Northwest Indiana was created as a resource for individuals interested in career opportunities within the construction and maintenance industry. Some career opportunities may require a college degree while most require a comprehensive training and education program known as apprenticeship. Successful applicants generally possess three common attributes:
- They have a strong work ethic
- They are responsible
- They are dedicated to being the best
College of Court Reporting
ARE YOU A GAMER • MUSICIAN • WRITER • TECHNOLOGIST?
YOU HAVE THE SKILLS FOR A SUCCESSFUL CAREER IN:
Court Reporting • Captioning • Legal Videography
Graduates are educated for interesting and challenging positions of responsibility and trust as official, freelance, legislative reporters, and real-time reporters. Students receiving their Associate of Applied Science degree in Court Reporting must complete all requirements for all classes, as well as all graduation requirements listed in the catalog. This program meets or exceeds all requirements of the National Court Reporters Association. Students must take at least 12 credit hours per semester to qualify as full-time students.
College of Court Reporting will be hosting a FREE online A to Z program starting April 11, 2022. It will take place on Mondays from 7-9 p.m. central for three weeks. Email email@example.com for more information. Phone: 866-294-3974 (See flyer below)
Your source for career exploration, training & jobs. Nearly 2,400 AJCs nationwide help people search for jobs, find training, and answer other employment-related questions.
Millions of people are searching for jobs, salary information, company reviews, and interview questions. See what others are looking for on Glassdoor today.
Not sure how to move forward in your job search or with a career change? Whether you’re exploring a career change, looking for a new job, preparing to graduate, or are currently unemployed, we’ll provide you with the right tools.
Find your next job, fast. Search by skills. View salaries. One-click apply.
Career Attire Needed | Hobart High School | Career Closet
INDIANAPOLIS (May 4, 2021) – The Indiana Department of Labor’s Bureau of Youth Employment announced today that Hoosier employers must adhere to new requirements regarding minor employees younger than 18 years old, beginning July 1, 2021.
MRS. VALENTINE TORRES, MBA
Career Liaison Coordinator | Business Department | Dual Credit Instructor | Hobart High School | Hobart University | Business Professionals of America | Communications Director TEDxHobartHighSchool