April 24, 2023
Welcome from Mrs. Tanner
Dear Sheldon Families,
The new car line route due to construction IS STILL IN PLACE. Attempting to turn left onto Sena off of Gage is causing traffic back-ups. Additionally, we are unable to safely manage the line coming from two different directions. If you are not using the new procedure and are continuing to line up the way we used to, your vehicle will be expected to wait until the rest of the cars lined up on Seabrook are through.
The adjusted car line procedure, due to road construction, began TODAY. In order to access the car line, please use the following route (also pictured on map below). Thank you for your attention to this!
SW Huntoon to SW Hillsdale St
- SW Hillsdale St turn RIGHT on to SW 12th
- SW 12th turn LEFT onto SW Seabrook Ave.
- SW Seabrook Ave turn LEFT onto SW Sena Dr.
- Turn RIGHT into School parking lot and proceed thru Car Line.
- Turn RIGHT out of school parking lot
- SW Sena Dr to SW McAllister Ave to Huntoon
Families of OT students, the car line is a RIGHT TURN ONLY out of our parking lot. This will be especially important with the way the car line must flow due to the construction. DO NOT BLOCK intersections or driveways! This is just respectful. We share our neighborhood - let's be good neighbors.
Click the link to access the 2022-2023 Family Handbook.
As always, if you have questions or concerns, do not hesitate to reach out to me!
Thank you for the privilege of serving you ~
Mrs. Gabrielle Tanner, Principal
Parent Rights Advocacy Night
Presented by: Families Together and Sheldon Head Start
This informational training will educate parents and guardians of their role and legal rights when it comes to the special education process. Attendees will learn how to best advocate for their student(s) and will learn about community resources that are available to help!
**Childcare and dinner will be provided!**
Please RSVP so that we have an accurate count for dinner planning! Click this link to RSVP.
For any questions please call: Haley Mortensen at (785) 438-4545
Wednesday, Apr 26, 2023, 05:30 PM
Sheldon Head Start School, 1155 Southwest Seabrook Avenue, Topeka, KS, USA
Items That Need Your Attention
Online Registration is Open!
We would like to provide a few important tips to prepare our families for the experience with our new Student Information System, Synergy!
- When registration opens, families who have at least one student returning to Topeka Public Schools will receive an automated individual email sent directly from the Synergy system. This email will include a unique code the parent must have in order to create a username and password to use with the Synergy ParentVue portal. Once the parent creates these credentials, the link for online registration is at the top-right in ParentVue.
- When registration opens, families who have NO STUDENTS previously attending Topeka Public Schools will begin the process from the district's website. Families with any returning students cannot begin from the website, as they must have the unique code provided in the automated email.
- If you have an electronic copy of the student's birth certificate and other requested documents, you will be able to upload those prior to submitting your registration. This will save you having to provide those items to the school in-person later.
- If you have any questions about logging into Synergy ParentVue or Submitting your Online Registration, please email SISHelp@tps501.org or call 785-438-4750 between 7:30 and 4:30 for assistance.
If you have any questions after submitting your online registration, please contact your student's school or the demographics office at 785-295-3000 for assistance.
Online Registration Tips
- When completing online registration, if your child shows as "Graduated" or any other code that does not allow you to proceed with their registration, please email SISHelp@tps501.org.
- If you are a returning family and did not receive the email from Synergy, check your Spam/Junk folder.
- As was the case with TylerSIS, families who use a YAHOO.com account may not receive the automated email, and will need to email SISHelp@tps501.org for assistance.
Sheldon students are invited and encouraged to register to attend Preschool Summer Camp, available only to current Sheldon and Shaner students! This camp will take place at Shaner Early Learning Academy (1600 SW 34th St.). Click the link below to see more information and to register your student(s). Please note that transportation will not be provided and students MUST be fully potty trained - no exceptions.
In addition, Topeka Public Schools offers multiple summer programs for students. Click on the link below to explore the different programs.
Have you had a positive experience at Sheldon? We would love for that to be highlighted on the website! Please take 1 minute to visit GreatSchools.org, search for Sheldon Child Development, click on the Review icon, and share what you love about our program!
Time to Eat!
Policy & Procedure Review
Each week the Sheldon staff reviews one of our Head Start Policies & Procedures and felt it was important that families stay up to date on these as well. This quarter our focus is on Program Management and Program Governance. If you ever have any questions regarding our policies and procedures, please reach out!
According to Uniform Administrative Requirements, Cost Principles and Audit Requirements for Federal Awards fundraising activities using Federal funds are unallowable.
- No fundraising activities will be allowed in which Head Start staff, materials or equipment are involved.
- If community groups or individuals wish to donate money or materials to the Head Start program, this will be accepted as an in-kind match.
- Any fundraising events held in support of Head Start are independent of Sheldon Head Start. Sheldon will not be responsible for any issues that may arise.
Kansas Education Enrichment Program (KEEP)
The Kansas Education Enrichment Program (KEEP) is a program approved by the State Finance Council, as recommended by the SPARK Executive Committee, to support Kansas families and children recovering from the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on learning. KEEP provides qualifying parents and guardians with a $1,000 award per eligible student to pay for a variety of education goods and services that promote educational learning recovery and facilitate academic enrichment opportunities. Beneficiaries can spend their award funds in an online education marketplace that offers a variety of approved education goods and services.
Communities In Schools of Mid-America is hosting two FutureNow: Finance events this spring. The first event is at Topeka High School on April 26th and 27th, followed by Topeka West High School's rescheduled event on May 4th.
Sign up for the event at Topeka High on April 26th and 27th here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/805094DA5A92CABFA7-futurenow7
Sign up for the event at Topeka West event on May 4th here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/805094da5a92cabfa7-spring#/
FutureNow: Finance is an interactive financial literacy simulation. Students receive a profile detailing their life at age 26, including their profession, salary, family status, and more. They use this information to navigate through stations representing all the expenses they must account for in a month, such as housing, transportation, child care, groceries, etc. Volunteers are positioned at each station to help students determine what they owe and help them with their budget. Students leave the event with a better understanding of creating and balancing a budget.
The success and lasting impact of these events depend on volunteers like you. We hope you will join us for this incredible volunteer experience. If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to get in touch with me, Miranda Carpenter at Miranda.Carpenter@cismidamerica.org.
Sheldon Food & Clothing Bank
Community Resources Council Directory
If in need of resources, you can also contact the United Way by dialing 211.
Sheldon Head Start Child Development Center
Location: 1155 SW Seabrook Ave.