Trail Blazer News
11/3/15: PTO Meeting PVA
11/7/15: Fall Grounds Day 9:00-1:00
11/3/15: Veterans Day (No School)
11/14/15: Craft Fair 11:00-3:00
11/20/15- 12/2/15: Book Fair
11/25/15-11/27/15: No School
Wish List: We would greatly appreciate your support!
- Page Protectors
- Nut-free Snack
What We are Learning
Reading: We are focusing using diagrams and images to understand the main idea of nonfiction texts. We are also focusing on our RAPS strategy (Restate, Answer, Prove it, and Summarize) as we practice written comprehension.
RI.2.7 Explain how specific images (e.g., a diagram showing how a machine works) contribute to and clarify a text.
RL.2.7 Use information gained from the illustrations and words in a print or digital text to demonstrate understanding of its characters, setting, or plot.
Writing: We will begin our first shared research project to figure out why leaves change color in the fall. Students will learn how to use Cornell Notes to take notes about key ideas and organize their thoughts.
- W.2.7: Participate in shared research and writing projects (read a number of books on a single topic to produce a report; record science observations).
Fundations: We will continue Unit 5 on Monday. We are focusing on multi-syllabic words, suffixes, closed syllable exceptions, closed syllables, glued sounds, vowel teams, and r-controlled sounds. Our test will be the following Tuesday.
- RF.2.3 Know and apply grade -level phonics and word analysis skills in decoding.
- RF.2.3. Decode words with common prefixes and suffixes.
- RF.2.3. Distinguish long and short vowels when reading regularly spelled one syllable words.
Math: We will begin our addition and subtraction unit on Monday.
- 2.OA.A.1 Use addition and subtraction within 100 to solve one and two step word problems involving situations of adding to, taking from, putting together, taking apart, and comparing, with unknowns in all positions, e.g., by using drawings and equations with a symbol for the unknown number to represent the problem.
Science: We will be exploring the properties of matter through movement and hands-on learning.
- 2.P.2 Understand properties of solids and liquids and the changes they undergo.
Social Studies: We will be exploring our roles as citizens and the branches of government.
- 2.H.1 Understand how various sources provide information about the past. Civics & Government.
- 2.C&G.1 Understand the purpose of governments.
- 2.C&G.2 Understand the roles and responsibilities of citizens.