2023 Liberty Marching Band Season
Read below for dates and mark your calendars accordingly!
Summer and Fall Dates Summary
Summer Camp Dates
- Summer Music Rehearsal/Ice Cream Social: Friday, June 30 5pm-6:30pm
- Uniform Fittings: Thursday, Aug. 10 for Returning Members, Friday Aug. 11 for New Members
- Full Band Camp: August 14-18 9am-11:30am and 1pm-3pm
- Drill Camp: Saturday, August 19 9am-5pm(Preview Performance at 4:30pm)
- Drumline/Color Guard/Leadership Team: Some Additional Dates Listed Below
Fall Performance Dates
- Friday, September 1: Home Football Game
- Friday, September 8: Home Football Game
- Wednesday, September 27: Liberty Homecoming Parade (tentative date)
- Friday, September 29: Homecoming Football Game
- Friday, October 6: UI Homecoming Parade
- Saturday, October 7: Marching Band Competition Day (Cedar Rapids and Muscatine)
- Monday, October 9: Corridor Marching Classic at City High
- Friday, October 13: Home Football Game - SENIOR NIGHT FINAL SHOW PERFORMANCE
- Friday, October 20: Home Football Game (Halloween Show)
- Wednesday, October 25: Liberty Band Extravaganza (Main Gym)
- Sunday, November 5: UI Band Extravanganza Performance Xstream Arena 3pm
Summer Music Rehearsal/Ice Cream Social June 30 5pm-6:30pm
This is an opportunity for students to receive the show music, learn how it goes, and be able to take it home to practice before our August camp. It's also an opportunity for all of our students to get to know each other a bit before camp and meet the other members of their sections.
If you are unavailable (ex. previously scheduled vacation) don't worry - the show music is available online at the link provided above. We would love to see as many band members as possible! This will include the Drumline, Pit, and Color Guard as well.
We are in need of several parent volunteers to assist with fittings. No experience needed! Sign up here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/409094DABAD29ABFF2-uniform2
9:00-11:00: All Returning Seniors
11:00-1:00: All Returning Juniors
1:00-3:00: All Returning Sophomores
9:00-11:00: Last Name A-I
11:00-1:00: Last Name J-O
1:00-3:00: Last Name P-Z
Marching Band Camp Details
Mark your calendars for our 2023 Marching Band Camp, Monday, August 14-Friday, August 18! This year, we are running a consistent schedule with the full band every day from 9am-11:30am and 1pm-3pm (lunch break in the middle). Every effort should be made to attend the full camp - this is where we will learn our show music, how to march correctly, and how to perform our Pregame Routine.
Saturday, August 19th is the return of our Drill Day! This will be a fun day of learning the marching formations for our halftime show, making music, playing games, and eating food together. The day concludes with a Preview Performance of our halftime show for friends and family. The addition of this day made a HUGE impact on the success of our marching band season, so please make sure you mark it on your calendars!
Students should plan to bring their instrument, a water bottle, tennis shoes, and a lyre/flip folder for their instrument each day to camp. If you do not already have a lyre/flip folder from previous years or Jr. High, check this link to see what you need for your instrument. The links go to Amazon, but West Music has all of these in stock. We have a SMALL number available to borrow, so we recommend having your own to keep throughout high school!
Monday, August 14 - Friday, August 18
- 9-11:30: Full Band Rehearsals (Winds, Drumline, Pit, Color Guard)
- 1:00-3:00pm: Full Band Rehearsals (Winds, Drumline, Pit, Color Guard)
Saturday, August 19 - Drill Day!
- 9:00am-4:30pm: Full Band Rehearsals (Winds, Drumline, Pit, Color Guard). Lunch provided!
- 4:30pm: Preview Performance for Friends/Family in the Liberty Stadium
Below is the schedule of rehearsals for drumline and frontline (pit) prior to band camp. All rehearsals will begin in the band room at Liberty unless otherwise noted. Please message all four directors - Mr. Arp, Mr. Carlo, Ms. Oberhoffer, and Ms. Otto - if you are unable to attend. All rehearsals will happen in the band room unless otherwise notified. We will add summer rehearsals to this section when they are announced!
Monday, May 22 6:30pm-8:00pm (First Rehearsal on Set Drums/Pit)
- Monday, July 3 (Drumline 1-2:30, Pit 2:30-4)
- Monday, July 10 (Drumline 1-2:30, Pit 2:30-4)
- Monday, July 17 (Drumline 1-2:30, Pit 2:30-4)
- (No Rehearsal July 24 - IHSMA/IHSAA "Dead Week" for All Activities)
- Monday, July 31 (Drumline 1-2:30, Pit 2:30-4)
- Thursday, August 10 1:30-4:30pm
- Friday, August 11 1:30-4:30pm
2023 Liberty Drumline and Pit
Miriam Terwilleger (Center)
BD1 Lauryn Olson
BD2 Lucy Walker
BD3 Yuma Squires
BD4 Sam Jungen
BD5 Ethan Meyer
Ella Ausman - Synth
Melissa Tian - Synth
Sylvia Woltman - Vibes
Marquita Spading - Marimba 1
Zoe Edkin - Marimba 2
Bella Kellbach - Bells/Xylo
TJ Thames - Timpani
Zack Yokum - Aux/Percussion
Color Guard Rehearsals
All rehearsals will be held in the band room unless otherwise stated. If you are unable to attend, please email Mrs./Mr. Carlo in advance. You are responsible for learning any material covered at a missed rehearsal!
Summer Guard Rehearsals
Monday, July 3rd 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
Monday, July 10th 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
Monday, July 17th 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
(No Rehearsal July 24 - mandatory "Dead Week" for all activities)
Monday, July 31st 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
Guard Mini-Camp: August 10th and 11th, 1:30pm-4:30pm
We are excited to have DOUBLED the guard in size from Year 1 to Year 2! Congratulations to the following students selected to the Color Guard: Audrey Adams, Brooke Bernhard, Veda Berquam, Asher Bonner, Lily Bonner, Yukta Borse, Rylee Corbett, Evelynne Finley, Charlie Harvey, Jaimie Johnson, Tayler Knight, Ruth Luyeye, Ayla Nixt, Rachel Peters, Vanessa Schwieger, Ellie Stopak, Greg Stratton, Tanvi Vibhakar, Alyssa Weaver, Sophia Weaver
The 2023 Leadership Team can be found at https://www.libertymusicdept.com/marching-band
Competition Day - Saturday, October 7
We will not have performance times until we are closer, but please mark off October 7th on your calendars! This will be a full day event, and it is of the utmost importance that everyone attends. Each missing person will be a hole on the field, and we want to make sure we represent Liberty with the full might and pride of the Lightning Marching Band!
Corridor Marching Classic
This year's showcase will be hosted by City High School. More information will be added here as we approach October!
University of Iowa Band Extravanganza
This is an awesome opportunity and unique performance. More details on the way, but mark your calendars now!