By: Brenda, Amy, Jennifer & Maria
- El Salvador was established on September 15, 1821
- Pedro de Alvarado in 1525 established El Salvador.
- El Salvador was not a colony of a larger country and did not seek independence from their mother country.
- The first constitution of El Salvador was in 1824, written by Jose Matias Delgado.
- The current constitution of El Salvador was enacted in 1983 and amended in 2003.
Country's governing body
- Government: democratic republic
- The current leader of the country is president salvador Sànchez Ceren.
- They have government power which enmates from people and agencies of government shall exercise it independently within their respective areas of authority and competencies. The president enforces the laws, constitution and other legal provisions.
Country's legal system
- El Salvador experiences some of the highest murder rates in Latin America. The gang crisis has gone up to 57% since 2013. The killing rate in a country of 6.1 million people has the worst occurring crimes between gangs (Mara Salvatrucha "MS13" & Calle 18)
- The conviction rate is only 5 percent.
- MS13 and Calle 13 orginated as street gangs in east LA.
- A major crime is the one of Gustavo Morales, a 17 year old charged with 17 counts of murder. The judge found insufficient evidence on 10 of the charges.
- El Salvador has a mixed economy.
- Main export partners are the U.S, Guatemala, Mexico, Colombia, China, and Germany.
- The top export partners are the U.S, Guatemala, Honduras, and Nicaragua.
- Longest trading partners are; export and import: U.S
- (PPP per capital) $7,600 steel manufactures
- (nominal) 23.99 billion (2012 est.)
- GPD rank: 98th (2012 est. PPP)
- GPD growth: 1.5% (2012 est.)