PACT Help Prevent Birth Defects
Abigail Aparicio 10/14/16
1. Plan ahead
- Get 400 micrograms of folic acid every day. Folic acid is a B vitamin, by taking this the woman can prevent major birth defects (Anencephaly and Spina Bifida).
- See healthcare professional regularly. A woman should be sure to see her doctor before and during pregnancy.
2. Avoid harmful substances
- Avoid alcohol at any time during pregnancy.
- Avoid smoking cigarettes.
- Avoid marijuana and other "street drugs"
- Prevent infections
3. Choose a healthy lifestyle
- Keep diabetes under control. Poor control of diabetes during pregnancy increases the chances of birth defects and other problems.
- Strive to reach and maintain a healthy weight. A woman who is obese is at higher risk for complications during pregnancy. Obesity can also cause several serious birth defects.
4. Talk with your healthcare provider
- Talk to a healthcare provider about taking any medications.
- Talk to a healthcare provider about vaccinations.