Eagle's Nest News
Vivian Banks Charter School Update - February 17, 2023
Thank you to all of our Vivian Banks families and friends who joined us to celebrate our Lunch on the Lawn Math Expo. today! The Math Expo. was a fun, family-friendly event that sparked passion for math through activities and games for both students and families.
We hope that you and your child were able to engage with the many activities available to explore … inspire … empower … and educate yourselves about how much fun math can be. The Vivian Banks team again thanks your for your attendance and playing an active role in your students education.
Students of the Week
The following students were recognized at Friday Flag Raising as our Students of the Week. They were selected by their classroom teachers for demonstrating outstanding effort and citizenship for the week. Keep up the great work Eagles!
Eagle Ticket Winners
Every Monday morning we draw an Eagle Ticket winner from each classroom. Students earn Eagle Tickets by demonstrating appropriate behaviors on campus. Students who are selected are recognized on our office Eagle Board.
Culture and Community
VBCS Selected as a Purple Star School!
State Superintendent of Public Instruction Tony Thurmond today announced that Vivian Banks has been designated a Purple Star School. The California Purple Star School Designation Program publicly recognizes schools that are committed and equipped to meet the unique needs of military-connected students and their families. Purple Star Program schools seek to reduce the burdens on military-connected students and their families by providing support, creating transition programs, and offering staff professional development. VBCS supports and recognizes our military connected families for the tremendous contributions they provide all of us. Please plan on joining us as we celebrate this accomplishment on March 30 at 4:00pm at Bonsall West Elementary School.
Bonsall Education Foundation
The Bonsall Education Foundation (BEF) is a 501c3 non-profit organization to help fund schools in the Bonsall Unified School District. Our mission includes the following:
* Support Our Students Program (SOS)
* After-School Enrichment Opportunities
* Bonsall Sprouts Garden Program
* Giving Tree Award
* Dale Costa Memorial Scholarship
* BHS College & Career Scholarship
* Student Internship Program with BHS
* Restoration of the historic Bonsall Schoolhouse
BEF works closely with BUSD administrators, teachers, students, parents and other community organizations to provide students with opportunities to enrich their school experience.
They are always looking for new members to apply their expertise and heart for the benefit of our school communities!
Go to www.bonsallschools.org to see the meeting dates for the year.
Affordable Computer Sale
The San Diego County Office of Education and Computers2Kids are hosting an event for families to purchase affordable computers on Saturday, March 4 from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. at Kearny High School @ 1954 Komet Way, San Diego CA 92111. See attached flyer for details.
Here is a digital link to the information.
Since the beginning of the 2022-23 academic year, the partnership between SDCOE and Computers2Kids has provided over 900 refurbished computers to families in need. We hope your families are able to benefit from this event.
5th Grade Drum Performance
Congratulations to our outstanding 5th Grade Drum Line who performed at the BUSD Board Meeting! Students performed under the direction of our music teacher Ms. Pellkofer.
Self-Efficacy is the belief that you have the skills to be resilient and reach your goals.
There are four building blocks for building self-efficacy.
1. Mastery Experiences - A child attributes success to their hard work.
2. Observing Others - A child observes others and believes they can accomplish the same goals if they work hard and keep trying.
3. Direct Persuasion by Others - A child's belief about their ability to master a situation is influenced by parents, teachers, coaches, friends, & other supportive people in their lives.
4. Mood - Positive thinking strengthens a child, negative thinking weakens a child.
Adults can enhance self-efficacy in children with these six strategies.
1. Challenge Negative Thoughts. Try to replace negative thoughts with positive ones.
2. Teach Goal Setting. Help children make SMART (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic, & Timely) goals.
3. Notice, Analyze, & Celebrate Success. We can increase self-efficacy by teaching children to identify their success.
4. Use Process Praise. Children are praised for how they accomplished success.
5. Provide Opportunities for Mastery Experiences. Give children the opportunities to control their environment.
6. Be Optimistic and Realistic. When a child fails, it is better to acknowledge the struggle.
Three tips for enhancing self-efficacy are Slow Down, Be Specific, & Name the Strength when praising your child's self-efficacy.
Here is a read aloud of the Little Engine that Could:
Health and Saftey
Free Covid-19 Tests
In an effort to support the health and safety of our learning communities, the State of California has provided no-cost, at-home Covid-19 antigen test kits for families with students enrolled in Bonsall Unified School District. These tests are meant to assist you with quickly determining if your student may have COVID-19.
These at-home test kits can offer a safe, quick, and convenient way for students to monitor their health and help to reduce transmission. Test kits are available and can be ascertained at your student(s) school office.
We strongly encourage families to use the kits to test their children and report positive results to their school site. The results are important because they will allow us to proactively keep our students safe and our schools open for teaching and learning.
Thank you for your continued support and helping us keep our school communities healthy and safe.
February 17 - Lunch on the Lawn - Math Expo.
February 20 - 24 - Presidents Holiday
February 27- March 3 - Read Across America
March 7 - Art Show
March 10 - Charter Council
March 15 and 16 - Lifecycles Play