SMS Battle of the Books 2019
Being, Reading and Finding the Best @theLibrary
Legendary SMS Library team, Timmi Eggert & Teresa Flaherty brought the tournament to Shuksan. Upon her retirement in 2017, Timmi selected her final list of 32 books for the 2019 Battle.
How Will it Work
- Before February 1, students will predict how many books from the BOB list they will read between 2/1 and 3/29.
- Before February 1, students will fill out a bracket that predicts the winner of the 2019 BOB.
- From Feb 1 through Feb 28, students read as many books from the BOB list as they can and/or want.
Students and staff will vote for their favorites. This will occur using online voting. Students will update their brackets.
- Feb 25-28: Round 1 voting
- Mar 4-8: Round 2 voting
- March 11-15: Round 3 voting
- March 18-22: Round 4 voting
- March 25-28: Final Round voting
- March 29: Big Winner announced
Between 2/1-2/28, 16 staff volunteer-judges will read 2 books. From those 2 books, they will select their favorite. Student voting will affect a judge's decision and will determine if a book wins that round.
What book will be declared THE BIG WINNER?
Frequently Asked Questions
- Do I need to read all of the BOB books? No! Read the ones you want and can!
- Do I need to read a book to vote for it? No! Pick the one you think is best based on your own likes and dislikes.
- Can I bribe a judge? What?! Of course! If you want your book to win, you should do what it takes to convince the judge of that round to choose your book. Bribes include... compliments, candy, chores...
- Who will judge each contest? 16 SMS teachers and staff will volunteer to judge during Round 1. After 2 rounds, there will be 8 teachers as judges.
- How many rounds are there? There are 5 total rounds. During Round 1, 32 titles compete. During Round 2, 16 titles compete. During Round 3, 8 titles compete. During Round 4, 4 titles compete. During the Final Round, 3 titles compete.
- What? 3 titles in the Final Round? Why not 2 titles? During the Final Round, we will bring a well-loved title "Back from the Grave." This title will compete against the 2 titles that have survived Rounds 1-4.
- How do you choose the "Back from the Grave" title? Fans can argue to bring a book that was eliminated in earlier rounds. This book could become The Big Winner!
- Where can I vote? Polls will open via the library website. All voting will take place electronically.
- How will we know who wins each round? Winners will be announced each week via Morning Announcements and the Library Website.
- Can I win anything? Yes! If you predict The Big Winner by 2/1/19 you can win some cool @theLibrary swag and... 2 Movie Tickets (Grand Prize)! And bragging rights. You can also win power and knowledge and creativity just by reading BOB books.
- What does the Winning Book get? Bragging rights!
Meet Some of Our Judges
Love a book? Convince the Judge to vote for it! See them and argue your case!
Why should they vote for your favorite book?
Siren Sisters or Memory of Forgotten things?
Flying Lessons or Baseball in April?
Long Way Down or Forever or a Long Long Time?
Rules for Thieves or Girl of Fire & Thorns?
One Trick Pony or All's Faire in Middle School?
My Life with the Liars or Piecing Me Together?
Posted or The Ethan I Was Before?
7th Most Important Thing or Orphan Train Girl?
Hello, Universe or The Miscalculations of Lightning Girl?