The Lake Ridge Bridge
August 21, 2021
Need translation other than English? At the bottom of the newsletter, a bar will appear. You will be able to translate the newsletter to your desired language.
¿Necesita traducción aparte del inglés? Al final del boletín, aparecerá un bar. Podrás traducir el boletín a tu idioma deseado.
From the Principal
Hopefully this message finds you well and in good spirits. The second week of school was a productive one, and it was also our first full week. During the first few days of school, we focused heavily on establishing positive relationships and teaching campus and classroom expectations and procedures so that scholars can have a strong understanding, and we revisit these often for reinforcement. Over the past week, scholars dived into instruction, made connections, continued to build community within classes, and contributed to who we are as a campus. Check-ins, research presentations, binder organization, and so much more filled the week. Scholars also started their Electives rotations, and these include Art, Music, and Physical Education for K-5.
You may have noticed that we have one of our faithful All Pro Dads who masks up and assists with greeting scholars/opening vehicle doors in the morning, and we could use a few more. If you are interested in volunteering with our morning car line, please email me at email@example.com.
This week, the learning continues on this race for excellence, so we are excited to see what all will take place for our scholars and educators. We look forward to our arrival and dismissal times continuously improving, and this happens when we all read and adhere to the procedures that have been shared.
Be sure to keep the following dates(s) in mind:
- Ongoing: 2021-2022 Registration
Question to Pose to Your Child: What is one thing you will do this week to make sure that you have a great week?
Read on below for scenes from the week, updates from our AP, information regarding counseling & guidance, upcoming events, and other helpful resources.
Always remember that "The Race for Excellence has No Finish Line."
Scenes from the Week
Updates from Our AP
We are so excited about something new at LRE! It's the Lake Ridge Store. Scholars are able to earn "Lake Ridge Bucks" for meeting campus and classroom expectations and shop at the store. The LRE store will open next month.
If you would like to donate to the store, feel free to bring items to the office Monday-Friday from 8:00 a.m.-2:00 p.m. Some suggested items include: fidget spinners, Rubik's cubes, candy, books, board games, toys, etc.
Thanks again for all of your support.
Counseling & Guidance Corner
College Color Day is September 3rd. Scholars may rep their favorite college shirt or wear college colors to promote a college bound culture. College Spirit Week will be held September 20-24, 2021. More information to come in the coming weeks.
Counseling Services and Communities in Schools (CIS) are continuously looking for ways to improve the way we meet the needs of all scholars, and the feedback from parents, teachers, and scholars is critical. Please assist us in developing our campus based counseling plan by completing the anonymous counseling survey below. The survey will close on August 26th. Thank you for helping us better meet our scholars' needs.
- Notes regarding an absence must be brought to the office within three days of the absence; parents can also enter via Family Access. Notes should include the scholar's full name, date of absence, and signature/date of parent/guardian.
- You can email Principal McCullum for any attendance questions or concerns.
- If the method of your child getting home needs to change, notify the Main Office or your child’s teacher by 2:00 p.m. so that there is enough time to communicate the change to your child. If e-mailing the teacher, include an administrator in case the teacher is absent on that particular day.
- 2:45 p.m. is the latest that a scholar may be checked out due to preparation for dismissal.
Morning Arrival Procedures:
Doors open daily at 7:15 a.m.
Scholars arriving by bus will enter through Door #14.
Scholars in Pre-K & their siblings will enter through Door #12.
Scholars in ECSE/SKILL & their siblings will enter through Door #11.
All other scholars (car riders and walkers), will enter through Door #1/Main Entrance.
- Vehicles may enter the school driveway via the back/second driveway that runs behind the building and form one line.
- Only those going to the Main Office or dropping off with the classes indicated for Door #11 and Door #12 should enter the main driveway.
Parents should follow the arrows that indicate the flow of traffic, and drop off only in the lane next to the sidewalk. Children should not be dropped off in the center lane to ensure safety.
After the first day of school, parents will not be able to walk their children to their classrooms. All parents & visitors must report directly to the Main Office.
Dismissal occurs daily at 3:00 p.m.
Scholars in Pre-K & their siblings will exit through Door #12.
Scholars in SKILL & their siblings will exit through Door #11.
Scholars who ride the bus or walk home will exit through Door #14.
Scholars picked up via Private Daycare transportation will exit through Door #1.
Scholars who are picked up by car will exit through Door #5 (remain in cafeteria until called).
Parents may enter the school driveway via the back/second driveway that runs behind the building and form one line.
As the cars approach the pick-up area, the scholars will be called outside and will wait for a faculty member to load them into the cars.
Anyone picking up a scholar must have the color-coded card prominently displayed. If the card is not present, then the scholars(s) will be sent to the front office, and the driver will need to show proper identification.
Parents, please stay in your car at all times. Children will not be released if a parent walks up to the cafeteria door.
Only those going to the Main Office for appointments or picking up with the classes indicated for Door #11 and Door #12 should enter the main driveway.
If there is a change in how a scholar regularly gets home, please call the Main Office or email Principal McCullum AND Dr. Washington by 2:00 p.m. This will help avoid confusion.
The latest time to check a scholar out via the Main Office is 2:45 p.m. After that time, please wait until the regularly scheduled dismissal.
If your child is in Right at School, remember that checkout begins after 3:30 p.m.; that occurs at Door #5.
The picture below shows how to properly place your car tag(s) for dismissal:
Driveway #1: Yellow
Driveway #2: Orange
K-5: Green Line (morning arrival=Door #1; dismissal=door #5)
ECSE/PK/SKILL: Blue Line
Main Office/Parking: Red Line
Message from 8.18.2021
Hello, Lake Ridge Family!
Hopefully this message finds you well and in good spirits. Thank you so much for having your car tag present and visible during our dismissal. This allows for a smoother process. Your patience is greatly appreciated because the majority of our scholars are car riders, and we aim to get scholars loaded in a safe and timely manner.
Here's how you can help this process continue to go smoothly:
- Have your car tag placed up high on the passenger side of your windshield DAILY, and leave it there until your child has been loaded in the vehicle. Regardless of who the announcer is, he/she needs to be able to see your car tag.
- Request a car tag via the shared form if you do not have one. Be sure to check your child's backpack because many were sent home on the first two days.
- Pay attention to the instructions being provided by our faculty.
- Pull over and park in a parking spot if you need to buckle in your child after being loaded.
- Understand that inclement weather will cause delays, but we will continue to get your child loaded safely.
- Remember that Right at School pickup begins at 3:30 p.m.
- Communicate any changes in dismissal methods for your child to the Main Office by 2:00 p.m. so that there is time to get the information relayed to your child's teacher.
As a campus, our goal is to finish our car line by 3:15 p.m., and this is possible when we all work together and exhibit patience. We actually achieved this goal on Tuesday, August 17, so it is possible.
After 3:16 p.m. if the exterior doors are closed for our regular dismissal, you will need to come to the Main Entrance (Door #1) WITH your ID.
Again, thank you for your cooperation and partnering with us. As always, remember that "The Race for Excellence has No Finish Line".
- Ongoing: 2021-2022 Registration
- September 3: College Colors Day
- September 6: Labor Day/No School
- September 9: Open House/Title I Meeting at 6:00 p.m.
- September 17: Staff Development Day/No School for Scholars