News and Notes for DGS Staff
· Hands on science learning in 3rd grade using colored markers, water, and coffee filters to teach the scientific method
· Classes seizing transition times to maximize learning with reading emergencies and math flashcards
· Teach Like a Pirate activities that included costumes, a change of learning environment, and lighting changes
· Positive Office Referrals turned in to recognize ROYAL skills! I enjoy sharing these positive notes with parents and at morning announcements!
· Engaging parent presentations and technology connections with families during Back to School Nights. The use of blogs, twitter and ongoing parent communication fosters ‘glass classrooms’ and effective and efficient parent relationships and rapport!
· “Intro to Counselor” sessions that used props to engage kids in the role of the counselor!
· Introduction of the Buddy Bench!
· Deputy Butterfield playing with kids on the playground! A great example of “Swimming with the Fish”
· Classes seizing the awesome weather to take classes outside for learning opportunities
Events Coming Up
Monday, August 31, 2015
· Lunch: Cheese Lasagna
· Number Bond Craft in 1st Grade 11:50-12:30pm
Tuesday, September 1, 2015
· Lunch: Chicken Nachos
· I’ll be at an admin team meeting in the morning
· Box Top forms go home
· Rock Stars of the Month announced
· Wear your Royal Rockstar Shirt (and jeans if you do)
· Flu Shot forms due to the office
· 3pm: IRC Conference Planning Meeting (Gunter, Pitzer, Zarko, Lanser, Wooden)
· 6pm: Enrichment Eagles Orientation
· 7pm: Parent’s Club Meeting
Wednesday, September 2, 2015
· Lunch: Cheese Omelet and French Toast Sticks
· Boy Scout Boy Talks during Lunch
· PLCS: Webb’s Depth of Knowledge Activity. Specials and Intervention Team should select and work with grade level teams on the assignment that is coming from Heather Bowman.
· 2pm-4pm: Flu Shots
Thursday, September 3, 2015
· Lunch: Spaghetti and Meat Sauce
· I’ll be at an admin team meeting in the morning and IPA Board meeting in the afternoon
· 3-5pm: Kidder Music Band Display for 5th grade in the Cafeteria
Friday, September 4, 2015
· Lunch: Chicken Patty
Nuts and Bolts
- #RoyalReflection How do you create a positive climate for learning?
- Five Note Fridays: I have made a concerted effort this year to give personal, handwritten notes to our students. My goal is to send at least five home by Friday of each week. This is a simple act that can foster positive relationships with both students and their parents. I encourage you to continue something similar in your own classroom or content area! A little note can go a long way!
- Remember ROYALS of the Month are Due. If you can’t access the google doc, please email me!
- Star Benchmark Begins. Please only complete math this week.
- Peer Observations: The pineapple board is in the teacher workroom! Consider sharing a classroom lesson or activity that you think could benefit others observing. In addition, observing quality classroom instruction and learning from each other is a key strategy in growing and learning professionally. I have carved out some time in my schedule that I will be willing to cover your classes so that you can observe a peer. You can sign up and read more at http://www.signupgenius.com/go/70a0844a9af2e5-teachers