4th Grade Weekly Happenings
Reagan Elementary - Leander Independent School District
Week of May 4
Our Current Week
- yellow specials day
- Scholastic Book Fair in library - sales begin Monday after school
- green specials day
- Scholastic Book Fair in library
- blue specials day
- Scholastic Book Fair in library
- National School Nurse Day - say THANKS to Nurse Audra for helping keep us healthy & safe!
- purple specials day
- Scholastic Book Fair in library (FAMILY NIGHT! Open until 6:00)
- red specials day
- Scholastic Book Fair in library (closes at noon)
- Spell Check over Sitton List #26
- Living History Museum posters due back to school (poster board & rubric were sent home Monday 4/27)
What Are We Learning This Week?
- author's purpose
- fact & opinion
- Google Slides class presentations
- practice Living History Museum speech
- Sitton List 26
- persuasive letter
- playground design project
- animal adaptations
- plant adaptations
- food chains & webs
- Mrs. Eddy's class - vocab quiz on Friday
- REQUIRED: work on Living Museum Famous Texan costumes and presentation (due back to school on or before 5/8)
- RECOMMENDED: read 100 minutes/week (25 minutes/4 nights); may log on line
- Pass at least two lessons on the Think Through Math website anytime between Monday and Sunday (remember, your login information is in your travel binder)
- Contact Mrs. Weltzin early in the week for an alternate assignment if you do not have access to a device at home on which to do Think Through Math
- Spell Check 25 on Friday 4/30
Math Playground Design Project - Material Donations Needed!
We are starting our final math unit of the year, in which students will review & apply the math and science skills they have been learning through this whole year to design a playground! To make this project a success, we are requesting donations of the following materials that students will use to build model playgrounds.
- craft sticks or tongue depressors
- paper towel and toilet paper tubes
- plastic drink lids
- bottle corks
- plastic containers
- foam board
- cotton string
- copper wire
- pipe cleaners
- modeling clay
- stale marshmallows
- twist ties
Please save any of these items if you come across them around your house over the next few weeks and send them to school with your child anytime between now and Wednesday, May 20.
Our cafeteria staff has asked us to communicate with parents regarding your child's lunch balances. Since we are approaching the end of the year, the cafeteria is attempting to reconcile all meal time accounts. As of last Friday, students were no longer allowed to charge lunches. They will still be provided with a lunch, but it will be a cold cheese sandwich, fruit, veggie & milk until their balance returns to $2.20 or higher. This is the cost of a lunch without snacks. Please be aware that if your child does not have adequate funds and buys a snack that morning it may hinder them from being able to purchase a hot lunch.
If your child buys lunch on a regular basis, please, please, please keep an eye on their balance. They are seldom excited to receive the alternative lunch choice.
PACE Math Opt-In/Opt-Out Letters Coming in Wednesday Folders, Due Monday 5/11
The Leander ISD Elementary PACE (Programs for Advancement, Challenge and Enrichment) Math Program is designed to meet the needs of students who excel or show potential to excel in mathematics.
For students who are currently enrolled in PACE Math:
You will receive a pink letter in your child's Wednesday folder that needs to be returned to Mrs. Weltzin if you no longer want your child to participate in PACE Math in 5th grade.
For students who are not currently enrolled in PACE Math:
You will receive a yellow letter in your child's Wednesday folder that needs to be returned to Mrs. Weltzin if you would like your child screened for participation in PACE Math in 5th grade. The parent notification letters for all students screened will arrive on campus June 3rd. Scores will then be sent home in report cards on the last day of school.
See the link below for more information about the Leander ISD PACE Math program.
Famous Texan Research Project :: Update
Most of our students have completed their Famous Texan Google Slides presentations and will be presenting them this week in class. They've worked hard on them - be sure to ask them to show you theirs! If your child has not completed his/her slide presentation, they may work on that at home. It's in Google Classroom, so they'll need access to a computer with internet accessibility. If this is not an option for your child, please let us know and we'll make arrangements at school to help your child.
Students will be completing their index cards with their mini-biography speech on it this Monday in class. This is the card they may use (if they choose) during next week's Living History Museum presentation.
Posters are due back to school on or before this Friday, May 8th.
For the living museum on Monday, May 11th, each student will need to come to school with some sort of costume that represents the person s/he researched. Please do not purchase things for the costume; whatever you have on hand at home is absolutely fine.
A shortlist of remaining important dates is as follows:
- Index Cards due - Monday 5/4 (will complete in class)
- In-class Google Slides presentations - Monday 5/4 - Friday 5/8
- Posters due back to school - on or before Friday 5/8
- Living History Museum - all day Monday 5/11; performance schedule to come next week
Here are the times that each class will be presenting their hard work. You are welcome to come and tour the Living Museum anytime during your child's performance.
Monday, May 11th: 9:35 - 11:20Performance Time for Eddy, Heim, Murphy, and 1/2 of Beasley (last names A - J)
Monday, May 11th: 12:50 - 2:15
Performance Times for Weltzin, LaCombe, Lau, and 1/2 of Beasley (last names K - W)
STAAR results are delivered at the discretion of the state; we have no control over when they come in. When we do receive them, we will send home each student's CSR (Confidential Student Report).
Due to the shift in the math TEKS this school year, the Math STAAR is in its pilot year and scores will not be returned until the fall, as the state will be busy analyzing the data and adjusting the test for next year.
On the Horizon - Upcoming Dates
MARK YOUR CALENDARS!
The following dates, to the best of our knowledge at this time, are the dates for the 4th 9 weeks that will affect your 4th grader. Please make note of them on your personal calendars. Please update your calendars accordingly. Dates are subject to change; we will do our best to keep this current. If there are any additions from the previous week's newsletter, they will be in italics below.
- famous Texan index cards due (for more info, see link above)
Monday 5/4 - Friday 5/8
- Scholastic book fair in library
- famous Texan Google presentations in class
- PACE Math Opt-In/Opt-Out letters due to math teacher
- Living Museum in the MPR: times TBD; see the link above for detailed info
- originally scheduled for Tues 5/12; moved to Monday 5/11 due to building conflict
- 4th & 5th Grade Track & Field meet at Ranger Stadium - more info to come
- NO SCHOOL - inclement weather make up day
- NO SCHOOL - Memorial Day Holiday
- 5th Grade Business Fair - during specials; tickets available that week for students that wish to purchase items. More information to come.
- School-wide Splash Day
- last day of school; end of 4th 9 Weeks - HAVE A GREAT SUMMER!!!
Missing Library Books
Elizabeth & Reanna