By: Logan Kinney
Child working in a textile mill
This is a picture of a small child fixing a broken thread in a textile mill
Jobs children did in factories
- Children worked in textile mills by fixing broken thread in dangerous places under machines.
- Children were also worked in coal mines by pulling carts full of coal to the surface.
- Children were also chimeny sweeps which is an adults job.
- In factories children fixed the machines because they were small enough to fit under thr machines to fix them.
This is a boy pulling a cart of coal
A group of boys pulling a heavy cart of coal to the surface of a coal mine.
Hours, Food and working conditions
- Children as young as six would work in factories.
- Children would work up to nineteen hours a day with only one one hour break.
- Children were beaten if they did not do their job fast enough.
- Children were given little to no food in factories.
This is a picture of a boy missing a hand
When the boy went under the machine to tie the thread his hand was cought in it while he was crawling out
Accidents that often happened
- Chidren would go to fix a broken thread and the machine would be turned on befor they got out and could cut off limbs
- In coal mines children could die from lack op oxygen an sufficate
- Child chimeny sweeps couldfall down in a chimeny or even off of it.
- And in the factories children would loose fingers if they were not fast enough to get out of the way of the machine.
This is a child being whiped
This is a oicture of a child being whiped by the shift mannager
Punishment children faced
- Punishment for children in factories was cruel and unusual punishment
- Children were whiped by the shift mannager if they were to slow at there job
- The parents could not complain because then the child would be fired and the family needed that pay check
- Many people did not know this went on until their children came home with bruises all over them
This is a group of people protesting on child labor
Efforts to improve/stop child labor
- Factory owners loved child labor because the belived it was good for the economy but they just wanted more profit
- The child labor laws changed to nine -thirteen years of age could only work eight houres a day
- Children 14-18 were not allowed to work more than 12 hours a day
- And children under the age of nine could not work anymore in 1833