Extra!Extra!Extra! Village Families
CAASPP Testing Begins for 3rd, 4th, 5th Graders on May 9th!
Helpful prep for testing:
- Review the links below to know more about the test.
- Sit down with your student for 15 minutes and "practice" with them to get a feel as to how the test looks and feels so that you can have engaging conversations with them. We have been practicing at school, but your knowledge of how the test looks and feels is helpful.
- Get a good night's rest before a test.
- Get up a little early so the students do not feel rushed to get to school.
- Maintain a solid routine in the morning that includes a good, healthy breakfast.
Practicing CAASPP testing at home can be helpful and highly encouraged! See the link here!
Have questions about the CAASPP test? Here is a link for common questions and answers and understanding the structure of the CAASPP.
This year’s Jog-A-Thon will take place on Wednesday, May 25th. We are excited to announce that EVERY student will receive a FREE Jog-A-Thon t-shirt. Families, please take a moment to complete a quick survey so that we may order the correct shirt size for your student. You can also use this form to order additional shirts for friends and family members.Order your student’s FREE t-shirt and any additional shirts here: https://forms.gle/A2iGJVVyYPuasbvH8
Jog-A-Thon has historically been one of the biggest fundraisers of the year for Village PTO. We are happy to announce that this year’s Jog-A-Thon will take place person, so kids will once again be able to run laps around the CHS field! We are so excited for this event! If you have any questions, please contact the PTO at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Proposed Jog-a-thon Times
Each time slot will feature a warm up session, running laps, celebration of finished event and a small snack to end the event.
Set Up/Clean Up
Runners to Motivate Students
Jog-A-Thon will take place on Wednesday, May 25th. This year's event will once again take place in-person, with students running laps at the Coronado High School Track. Not only are we excited to have kids participating in-person again, but we are also thrilled to welcome back family member as volunteers!! Volunteers are needed at Jog-A-Thon to help set up, direct students, hand out water and snacks, cheer on students, and more! NOTE: All Volunteers MUST complete the volunteer application process in advance. This includes completing the Volunteer Application form and providing proof of TB test/screening. Family members who have not completed the Volunteer Application process can still cheer on students from the stands but cannot assist on the field. Volunteer Application: https://coronadousd.net/Parents--Students-/Volunteers/index.html If you have any questions, please email email@example.com.
Volunteer Sign Up https://forms.gle/FCziJG9a2adA2s1h9
Village Month of Wellness Sponsored by PTO
May 2-6th: Eggplant
May 9-13th: Green Beans
May 14-18th: Beets
- Topic will be introduced on Monday of the week on Monday Morning announcements and announced again at lunch time on Friday to encourage students to try the new foods.
- During the week our school will be talking about eggplants, why they are good for us, and how they can be cooked or eaten. CNS will send some speaking points in newsletter to help introduce eggplant, to get students excited about trying the food.
- A recipe card will be sent each week with a new recipe that our students can try! If you make the meal incoorporating the featured food, send it in and we will feature you in the next newsletter!
- We will feature diced eggplants on the salad bar on Friday, May 6 for students to try. The produce company will also send 3 whole eggplants so students can see what it looks like in its purest form.
- Students who try the new food on Friday will be given a special superhero ticket. If a student collects ALL three tickets on the three Fridays, they will be welcomed to come down to the office of Friday for a small prize.
- Students who bring their own lunch from how will be offered the chance to try the featured food if they choose.
A HUGE thank you to Charity Campbell, from CUSD Child Nutrition Services and Coronado Village PTO for their help in making this collaboration happen!
On the day of the Jog-a-thon, May 25th, students will received a pre-bagged snack of oranges or apples (of their choice) spronsored by Child Nutritution Services in CUSD.
CSF is excited to announce that Village Elementary won the TELETHON School v School challenge with the 2nd highest percentage of participation.
Gelato Paradiso is donating gift cards for every student and staff member at Village. You can expect the cards to be sent home in your Monday folders!
Thank you Village students and staff for your support of CSF!
This Month: May
School Wiode Focus: Leadership
Teacher Appreciation Week (May 4th: Day of the Teache)
May 4th,5th and 7th:
CAASPP Testing in ELA for Grades 3rd, 4th, 5th
-Annual Speghetti Dinner- Coronado Band and Choir Fundraiser 5-8 PM, CMS Granzer Hall
-Coronado Rec Center to start Summer Recreation Sign-Ups
- You will all be happy to know that our summer program registration starts at 9am on May 4th online (no more waiting for midnight!) for Coronado residents and on May 18 at 9am for everyone. Look for the Recreation Departments Summer Brochure on our website at www.coronado.ca.us/register on April 13th. Lots of great camps available for your children in parks, at the beach and at the community center this upcoming summer! We are so excited for summer camps!
May 9th: CAASPP Testing Continues -See Schedule Below
May 12th: Village Elementary Tour After School
May 16-20: Classified School Employee Week
May 16th-Librarians/IT staff
May 17th- School Nurses
May 18th- Child Nutrition Services
May 19th- Maintenance and Operations
May 20th- IA’s, IABHC, RBT’s
May 21st: Coronado Wine and Art Festival benefiting Coronado Schools Foundation (CSF) at Village -See details below
May 25th: Jog-a-thon Date (More details to come)
May 26th: Open House and VAPA ArtWalk
5:00-5:30: Last Name Alpha A-M
5:30-6:00: Last Name Alpha N-Z
**Choir students come at 5:00, to be ready for choir perfomance at CMS
6:00: VES Choir Performance at CMS with Mrs. Kullman
May 30th Memorial Day Holiday/No School
June 13th: CHS Seniors Walk thru Village Elementary
June 16th 5th Grade Promotion/Last Day of School/Early Release @ 12:00
Lower Playground Hot Dog Tag
Have you joined PTO? Our goal is 100% participation! Let's Do This!!
Safe Harbor-Mental Wellness Month
The City of Coronado has proclaimed May 2022 as Mental Wellness Month!
The month-long Safe Harbor campaign encourages everyone in Coronado to talk to their friends and family about the importance of mental health, lift the stigma, and participate in a mental wellness activity.
Check the website below to see all of the activites planned for this month!
Coronado Library News
Register Now for Summer Camps in Coronado!
TB Needed for Volunteering-Please Read!
Interested in Volunteering at Village Elementary?
The volunteer assistance you provide in our schools is valuable. We recognize your experience will enrich the educational program, increase supervision of students and contribute to school safety while strengthening our schools’ relationships with the community.
If you are interested in serving as a volunteer for the CUSD, please contact Tanya Villegas in the Human Resources Department of the district office. You may contact her by phone or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org
To become a volunteer the following procedures and documents must be completed. You can access these documents simply by clicking the links below.
- School Volunteer Application
- Verification of a negative Tuberculosis Test (TB) within the past four years
We thank you for your service to our students and school community.
To volunteer in the public schools, TB test and DOJ/FBI fingerprint documents must be submitted to human resources.
Frequently Asked Questions - Regarding Fingerprints
The attached document contains answers to Frequently Asked Questions.
Care Solace: Our district has partnered with Care Solace to help students and their families quickly connect to verified mental health and substance use treatment providers in our community. Our counselors can help connect you directly to their support, you can call them at 888-515-0595, or search anonymously at www.caresolace.com/coronadousd.
Their Care Companion team is available 24/7/365 and can support you in any language. Your Care Companion will make phone calls on your behalf to find and book appointments with providers who are matched to your needs. Care Solace has access to thousands of providers or programs that work with all insurances, Medicaid, or offer sliding scale or private payment options. For more information or questions please reach out to your student’s counselor.
We Tip Reporting System
WeTip Reporting System
The school district has launched a new concerned person online reporting system called We Tip. Students may use this to report any bullying, harassment, abuse, or safety concerns and it is 100% anonymous and confidential. The system offers three ways to report (text, phone, and QR code). This reporting tool is available 24/7, even when our school is closed. To make a report go to the ‘See Something, Say Something – We Tip’ button on our website, counseling PowerSchool page or find the poster around campus. See the flyer below for additional information.
Click below or use the QR Code
COVID 19 Protocols:
COVID Protocols- Please Read Carefully
Absences NOT Related to Illness should be reported via pre-COVID protocols (phone/email/paper absence notes). Contact Attendance Technician, Melinda Clay @ email@example.com
Absences - STUDENT ILLNESS: Student Absence Reporting Form:
- USE THIS Village Absence Reporting Form. A member of our COVID Response Team will review the information you submit and contact you for additional information, if necessary. Students who are sick must be cleared before returning to campus. All students who have been absent from school must report to the office before going to class. If their absence has not been cleared, parents will be notified. Thank you for your support in adhering to this policy.
Student Returning to School After CCD: All students must check in at the front office with Mrs. Clay in attendance to receive their health pass if they did not print thiers out when sent to them.
Students Presenting Symptoms of COVID19 (Symptomatic)
Students with Covid-related symptoms must provide documentation of a negative molecular test (PCR, NAAT or LAMP) to return to school. Test results should be emailed to COVIDteam@coronadousd.net. Once the test is accepted, students will receive a “pass” to return to school.
Vaccination Status: The current decision tree allows close contacts who are asymptomatic and vaccinated to remain in school. Please complete this optional form to verify your student’s vaccination status. https://bit.ly/3jBGytn
MASK Protocols: Please take the opportunity to review the district’s mask enforcement protocols and mask guidelines from the CDC with your student. Information can be found by following this link: https://bit.ly/2W2d0MA
Concurrent Curriculum Delivery (CCD) CUSD in collaboration with our teachers, have agreed to provide Concurrent Curriculum Delivery via Zoom to students if they are directed to quarantine or isolate. This program is only available to students directed not to attend in person by the COVID Command Center.
Sample CCD Format for the Elementary Aged Student:
ELA: 1 Hour of Whole Group Instruction with Benchmark and Writing Instruction
Math: Whole Group instruction for 1 Hour and 15 minutes of Number Corner
Sanford Harmony: 15-20 minutes
Specials on Googel Classroom
Social Studies and Science
COVID Team Center: The center is open daily from 8-3. Parents/staff can leave messages and a team member will follow up. Phone: 619-437-1305 Ext:1040