Volume 1, Issue 12: November 22, 2017
Please take a careful look at this week's newsletter. There are new pieces of information about field trips and upcoming events.
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving!
-Ms. Kate Martin
Pictures of the Week
Our Go Noodles really get our heart pumping!
We began our nonfiction unit by identifying common text features and text structures.
Text Feature Scavenger Hunt
Searching for text features!
Writing: We are finishing writing our personal essays.
Reading: We started our next reading unit on nonfiction.
Math: We are continuing our studies of division or measurement.
Science: We completed our unit on waves and will finish next week.
Enrichment: The students continued to work on their enrichment project.
Looking Forward to Next Week
- Math: Continuing current units that will start to focus more on refining division. Some groups are also working on measurement.
- Reading: We will continue our nonfiction unit!
- Writing: Learning about how to move our persuasive essays to persuasive essays.
- Social Studies: We will begin a PBL (Project-Based Learning unit) on Geography in the United States. We will also take a few days to work on our Small Business Day preparations.
- Enrichment: We are working on our 2nd Enrichment Project. Here's the link to the packet. Students will present in class on 12/7-12/8.
Small Business Day @ Woodland
Small Business Day is a day for students to sell a good or service that they have created or will provide. Students will need to create all products at home and provide their own supplies.
When and where is it?
All day on December 15th at Woodland Elementary
Why are we doing this?
To supplement our economics unit in Social Studies, and to raise money to cover some of the costs for the Lansing Field Trip. All of the proceeds the students earn on this day will go toward lowering everyone's field trip cost.
Can parents volunteer?
Yes! We'd love to have you volunteer on this day. Please let me know via email if you are interested in helping.
Upcoming Field Trip to AHS's Robotics Lab!
There will be a permission slip coming home next week. If you are interesting in volunteering/chaperoning, please notify me via email asap.
Woodland Canned Food Drive
We will again be holding our annual Gleaners canned food drive. Students can bring in canned goods and non-perishable food from Monday, November 27th through Friday, December 15th. The students always enjoy a friendly class competition to see who can donate the most food. (Of course I am SLIGHTLY competitive.....) We will be "weighing-in" the food on Tuesday and Thursday mornings in hopes of belonging to the "One Ton Club" once again this year!
Items needed at Gleaners:
- Boxed pasta, rice & potatoes
- Canned fruits & veggies
- Cereal & oatmeal
- Canned tuna & chicken
- Boxed pancake & muffin mixes
- Peanut butter & jelly in plastic containers
Did you know.....every 4 pounds of donated food can provide 3 meals to a hungry neighbor?
PTO Holiday Breakfast
Woodland will be holding our 19th Annual Holiday Breakfast on Saturday, December 2nd from 8:30-11:00am. Deadline to turn in reservation forms is Monday, November 20th. Families must have an advanced reservation to attend the Holiday Breakfast.
Breakfast includes pancakes, sausage, fruit, goodies & more. There will be crafts, games, and pictures with Santa. Red poinsettias that have been pre-ordered will be available for pickup at the Breakfast.
Volunteers are needed before, during and after the event. If you would like to volunteer to help, please send an email to WoodlandPTOAvondale@gmail.com or make sure to fill it out on the reservation form when you send it in to school.
After the Holiday Breakfast, plan to head over to Barnes & Noble for the Avondale Elementary Art Show from 11am-2pm. Woodland awards are at 11:15am.
All purchases made between 12/2 and 12/10 benefit the Elementary Art Department. (Book Fair ID #12275731)
Lansing Field Trip
The Lansing Field Trip is scheduled for Friday, April 13. All 3/4 GT students will attend this field trip with the rest of the Woodland 4th graders.
We will be visiting the Impressions 5 Science Center in the morning and our Capitol Tours are in the afternoon. We will be leaving Lansing by 4pm.
More information and logistics to come.
-Independent Reading: Minimum 20 minutes ***Try to incorporate nonfiction!
-Literature Circles: Reading and "job"
-www.learnzillion.com: Assignments on Google Classroom
-Daily math homework M-Th
- Please check your child's agenda nightly by initialing under "Parent Signature". I will also initial it in the morning to confirm they have written the correct information down.
- Friday Folders: They were sent home today! Please take out all the sheets and return the folder MONDAY.
- Bagel Sales! Pre-Order on Wednesdays of each week. All varieties cost $1, cash only. Bagels are delivered on Fridays.
- Order online at www.scholastic.com and use our class code R3CHK if you need books!
Does your Child Like to Ski? Check out the link below for 4th-5th graders!
Upcoming Important Dates
11/27-12/11 Canned Food Drive
11/29 3rd GT Open House @ Woodland
12/1 Spirit Day/PBIS Assembly
12/2 Holiday Breakfast 8:30-11am
12/8 Half Day
12/12 3rd Grade Holiday Concert - All GT Students participate!
12/22 AHS Robotics Field Trip (Only GT Students)
12/25-1/5 Winter Break, No School
1/15 MLK, Jr. Day - No School
2/21-2/23 Mid-Winter Break - No School
3/8 1/2 Day
3/9 1/2 Day
3/30 Good Friday - No School
4/2-4/6 Spring Break - No School
4/11 1/2 Day
4/13 Lansing Field Trip (All 4th Grade/GT Students)
5/11 1/2 Day
5/28 Memorial Day - No School
6/14 1/2 Day
6/15 1/2 Day - Last Day of School