October 2017 Principal Newsletter by Erika Krohn
School has only been in session for a little over a month, but our scholars have learned so much already. It's been exciting to observe students writing narrative and persuasive essays, using thinking maps to organize their thoughts, making sense of math word problems, taking digital on-line reading comprehension tests, taking notes, citing evidence from text, and using a daily agenda to keep track of work. Our scholars are being taught how to speak and respond academically in complete sentences. Also, I've been totally impressed by the students' Van Gogh-inspired artwork and the beautiful garden that's been planted by T-K.
Not only have our students been working hard, our teachers have been working hard to make sure that our students receive high quality instruction. As a staff, we continue to learn about the new Wonders ELA curriculum. In addition, in partnership with our amazing PTA, our staff is working on the creation of a STEAM/Maker Lab where students will be able to conduct scientific investigations and use engineering practices. Lastly, each time we meet as a staff, grade levels report how they are continuing to foster a Culture of Kindness and Respect in each classroom. I really enjoy hearing our teachers share stories of students' acts of kindness and Big R behavior!
This is an exciting month for Canyon Rim-we will be celebrating our 20th Anniversary on October 27. The teachers and I have been planning a school-wide assembly to commemorate this occasion and share our rich history with the students and community during the school day on October 27. It's been fun to reminisce and hear stories about Canyon Rim's past from our teachers who have been here since the opening. At this assembly, the items from the time capsule will be unearthed and shared. Students have been discussing what artifacts would be interesting to add to the time capsule. In addition, students are writing about why they love Canyon Rim. We are even bringing back the Canyon Rim song! I want to recognize and thank Tammy Pinkerton, a retired Roadrunner, for all of her help and coordination with this event. That evening, our wonderful PTA will be hosting a 20th Anniversary Festival to bring our community together to celebrate 20 years of excellence. It is an honor to be the leader of such an outstanding school during this exciting time. I look forward to celebrating 20 years of excellence with all of you!
Erika A. Krohn, Principal
Physical Education Class
September Big R/Kind Heart Raffle Winners
Soccer and STEM at Recess!
Mondays-1st and 4th grades
Tuesdays-2nd and 5th grades
Thursdays-3rd and 6th grades
Fridays-open to all grade levels
Gifted and Talented Education (GATE) Screening
The deadline for a parent referral is December 8, 2017.
- October 3-Student Council Intent to Run for Office forms due (upper grade)
- October 4-6th Grade Cave Man Day
- October 5-School Site Council, 2:30 in Rm. 14
- October 6-K-4 PTA Funded Music begins
- October 9-13-Parent Conference Week, Minimum Days all week
- October 11-English Language Advisory Council Meeting, 8:30 A.M. in MPR
- October 11-Student Council Speeches, 10:25 in MPR
- October 12-PTA Meeting, 8:15 A.M. in MPR
- October 13-Vision and Hearing Testing
- October 16-20-6th Grade Outdoor Science School
- October 19-Great American Shakeout
- October 23-27-Red Ribbon Week/Pennies for Prevention
- October 27-20th Anniversary Celebration Assembly, 1:00 in quad
- October 27-20th Anniversary Festival, 5:00-9:00 P.M., playground
- October 31-Fall Dress Up Parade, 8:15 A.M, Fall Parties in afternoon