Benicia High School Panther Post
In this month's Newsletter:
- Calendar of Events
- Textbook Return - End of School Year
- Mental Health Awareness Week presented by the Kyle Hyland Foundation
- Class of 2021 Graduation Update
- Link to Senior Bulletin
- Grad Night Information
- Free Math Tutoring
- Yearbook Distribution Information & Final Sales
- AP World History Textbook & Oceanography Textbook Adoptions
- Wellness Center with Student & Parent Resources
- PTSA Membership & Open 2021-2022 Board Positions
- Links to BHS Library, Panther TV & The Paw online Newspaper
- Links to Tech Support
- Work Permit Information
Remember the 3 W's: Wear a mask, Wash your hands, & Watch your distance
Benicia High School reopened in our Hybrid Model on Monday, April 12th. Please email BHSInfo@beniciaunified.org with questions or needed assistance.
Upcoming Events at Benicia High School
- Friday, May 7th: Progress Report - Check PowerSchool for grades & attendance
- Tuesday, May 11th: School Site Council Meeting at 3:30pm (via Zoom)
- Wednesday, May 12th: PTSA Board Meeting at 6:00pm (via Zoom)
- Monday, May 17th: Start of AP Exams
- Friday, May 28th: Progress Report - Check PowerSchool for grades & attendance
- Monday, May 31st: Holiday - No School
- Wednesday, June 2nd - Thursday, June 3rd: Textbook Return for In Person Students
- Friday, June 4th: Last Day of School & End of Second Semester Courses
- Friday, June 4th: Textbook Return for Virtual Students
- Friday, June 4th: Graduation Practice
- Friday, June 4th: Yearbook Distribution (see info below)
- Saturday, June 5th: Class of 2021 Graduation
- Saturday, June 5th: Benicia Grad Night Celebration (see info below)
Class of 2021 Graduation Update
The Benicia Unified School District is excited to celebrate the accomplishments and contributions of the Senior Class. As previously communicated, Benicia Unified School District and Benicia High School created a multi-tiered plan for graduation that was reviewed and approved by the Solano County Public Health Department.
At noon today, June 1st, Solano County announced that we are moving into the Orange Tier. Based on this information, we have decided to move our graduation ceremony plans for this Saturday to the Orange Tier plan - this means we will have one graduation ceremony for the entire Class of 2021 at 10:00am on Saturday, June 5th. Seniors will still receive 2 tickets each.
If you have any questions, please email BHSInfo@beniciaunified.org. We are very excited about graduation and so glad that this change will allow all of our Seniors to graduate together!
Livestream of Graduation Ceremonies:
Link to Graduation Livestream on June 5th: https://www.youtube.com/c/BeniciaUnifiedSchoolDistrict
This will remain available to view after June 5th for additional viewing.
Class of 2021 - Register for Grad Night Now!
Please note: Benicia Grad Night is run by a community volunteer organization and appreciates all donations of time, service, and goods to help provide this event. This event is not run by BHS or BUSD. Please direct questions regarding this event to Benicia Grad Night through their website. Thank you!
Textbook Review/Adoption: AP World History
"Traditions and Encounters: A Global Perspective on the Past (6th edition, 2020 AP Update)" was piloted and reviewed in the 10th grade AP World History Course this year and is being put forth to the school board for adoption. This material is available for review until May 28, at the District Office. If you would like to review the material please email Lynn Hannafin to set up an appointment: firstname.lastname@example.org
Textbook Review/Adoption: Oceanography
Wellness Center & Drop In Hours every Friday from 11-Noon
DIRECT LINK TO VIRTUAL WELLNESS CENTER SITE
TheBUSD Virtual Wellness Center is now available online 24 hours a day to access tools to manage emotions, resources for seeking assistance, and ways to connect with staff at BHS and other Benicia schools. This support is for students, families, staff, and the community of Benicia.
Link to Drop In Hours Zoom Meeting for live services every Friday
Meeting ID: 778 0448 3501
Helping Your Children Engage in Distance Learning in Healthy and Productive Ways - a gathering of resources geared towards supporting parents in their efforts to support their children.
Benicia High School SEL Group
Day: Thursdays @ 11:30am
Link: Join Zoom Meeting
Meeting ID: 959 3091 7776
Join our Solano County Office of Education Clinical team for weekly Benicia High School workshops. Each week’s workshop is different and driven by students’ interest. Students can talk about issues that are important to them and impact them or their loved ones. This is a space for students to be heard and gain tools to navigate challenges and/or expand their perspectives.
Also found under the RESOURCES: STUDENT tab in the Virtual Wellness Center and the Parent Wellness Padlet.
BHS Parent-Teacher-Student Association: Open Board Positions 2021-22
Our 2021-2022 PTSA Board has a few vacant positions - please reach out if you are interested:
- VP of Volunteers
- VP of Membership
We always welcome new members and new ideas, so join us! Email President Kristin Kamm at email@example.com or email the school at BHSInfo@beniciaunified.org.
THANK YOU for your support!
Interested in learning more about our PTSA or attending a meeting? We have a great time working together to support our school and our students - Join us! For more information or the link to our next Zoom meeting, email Suwannee.firstname.lastname@example.org.
Support PTSA all Year with Amazon Smile
Amazon Smile is now available on the Amazon app also!
Check out information and access resources from our school's libraries, including seasonal/celebratory specials. This month we are celebrating poetry! (BHS resources are at the bottom of the newsletter - scroll down and check them out)
Stay in the know with our online newspaper; including student articles about school news, arts & entertainment, sports, opinion pieces, politics and more. You can also access Panther TV, with weekly episodes on all that's happening at Benicia High!
Tech Support During Virtual Learning
Having trouble with your Chromebook or accessing class resources? Benicia Unified School District offers a Live Tech Support from 7:30 am to 4:00 pm. You can access this live support from the Technology Department web page on the BUSD website: https://beniciaunified.org/departments/technology/ and find the chat icon on the bottom right of the screen.
Student Work Permit Information
Great opportunities available in the new brochure for Benicia Unified School District Adult Education programs.
Free Meals for Students - Sign Up Today
Congress has approved a waiver for free meals for all children under 18 for this school year, including breakfast and lunch. Families must sign up to take advantage of the free meals. Email Gesley-Marie Prado at email@example.com or call (707) 748-2758 to register.
There are three ways to pick up meals for students:
- Daily Meal Pickup: You may pick-up meals every day Monday-Friday at any of the school sites. Your child will receive lunch for that day and breakfast for the next morning.
- Early Meal Pickup: You may pick up meals early in the morning at Benicia High School at 7:00AM-9:00AM. If you are interested in the early meal pick-up, please SIGN UP USING THIS FORM and pick a pick-up time that is convenient for you. Please note that these meals will have to be reheated/prepared at home. We will provide heating/preparation instructions with those meals.
- Multi-Day Meal Packages: Starting Monday September 14th, multi-day meal packages will be available for pick up at Benicia High School on Mondays and Wednesdays. For Mondays, we will provide a two day supply of meals (Meals for Monday & Tuesday). For Wednesdays, we will provide a three-day supply of meals (Meals for Thursday, Friday, & Monday). These meals will be available to pick-up early in the morning and in the afternoon. Early Service Window: 7:00, 7:30, 8:00, 8:30, & 9:00. Midday Service Window: 11:00, 11:30, 12:00, & 1:00. To pick-up these meal packages, you would need to sign up at the link below.
Have questions? Please contact Food & Nutrition Services Director Tania Courtney at (707) 748-2758 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org. You can also visit the BUSD Food & Nutrition Services website.
We are now distributing meals for the weekends and Holidays. Please call us to sign up!
707- 748 2758
Sign up now for Free School Meals this Summer!
We have been approved to add free school meals for this Summer to children 18 and younger. We will be able to distribute free school meals (breakfast, lunch and snacks) for the Summer for all our students.
How you will receive meals during the SUMMER:
We will be distributing the meals package (breakfast, lunch and snacks for a week) ONLY at Benicia High School every Wednesday from 9:30 AM to 11:30 AM, starting June 9, 2021.
Dates of distribution:
June: 06/09, 06/16, 06/23, 06/30
July: 07/07, 07/14, 07/21, 07/28
August: 08/04, 08/11
Please filled out the below survey by May 28, 2021:
To avoid food waste, we will produce only the amount of meals requested.
BENICIA HIGH SCHOOL
BHS Vision Statement
Benicia High School will inspire learning with integrity in order to find personal success in an ever-changing world.
District programs, activities, and practices shall be free from unlawful discrimination, including discrimination against an individual or group based on race, color, ancestry, nationality, national origin, immigration status, ethnic group identification, ethnicity, age, religion, marital status, pregnancy, false pregnancy, termination of pregnancy, or related recovery, parental status, physical or mental disability, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, or genetic information; a perception of one or more of such characteristics; or association with a person or group with one or more of these actual or perceived characteristics.