WEEKLY LEARNING FAMILY NEWSLETTER
WEEK COMMENCING -MONDAY 17TH JUNE 2013
INORMATION AND EVENTS FROM THE DISCOVERY CENTRE
1. An author, Sam Hepburn's library visit last Wednesday went well. Her presentation was engaging and the eighteen students that attended looked interested. Some students bought her book Chasing the Dark, and the Discovery purchased 4 copies - come and check them out!
2. Malorie Blackman, the prize-winning author became Britain's first black children's laureate! Malorie blackman's parents came from Barbados. When she was growing up her teacher told her not to apply to read English at university because ''black people don't become teachers''. Recently she said: "We need more books that are specifically about the British BME (black and minority ethnic) experience". Please see the books she wrote for teenagers available at the Discovery!
3. Remind your parents/carers about the Conversation Cafe - on Wednesdays, term time, at 11am till 12pm at the Beacon Centre (next to the City Academy) - talk to Magda if you need more info!
4. Our Film club is starting on Friday (lunch time and after school on Fridays)! Come and choose our first film to watch.
5. Please, please, please return books from the library before the Summer starts! :)
Globemaster Quiz Game – so far the daily winners of a £10 gift voucher are Luke Oberhansli, Jack Young, Muhammad Irfan and Rosie Hatton. For your chance to take part and win, just login to the quiz using the Globemaster Icon on your computer screen. Any questions, please see Mr Tucker.
On Tuesday 18Th June a photographer will be at the Academy taking pictures for next year’s prospectus and other literature. Any disruption to the day should be low level, as the photographs will not be staged, but just taken as he moves around the building on a normal City Academy day.
Please encourage your LF students to be in the correct uniform, as always! Staff may also want to spend a few extra moments picking out their best outfit as it’s more than likely that you will be snapped at some point too! We have a great building full of great students and great staff, so your help in capturing the essence of City Academy on camera will much appreciated.
YOU & ME ANTI-BULLYING WORK
Thursday morning you will be participating in follow up workshops with Unique Voice on the You & Me Anti-Bullying work you started in September.
Letters will be coming around during LF. Please return these by Wednesday to RECEPTION.
Please remind all students that they must turn up in full uniform. If they have two separate occasions in a week where their uniform is not acceptable it will result in an hour detention after school in the next week.