Clauses and Phrases
- A clause is a sentence part that contains a subject and a verb.
- An independent clause can stand alone as a correct sentence. A dependent clause cannot stand alone.
- A phrase is a part of a sentence that does not contain a subject and verb. A phrase can not stand alone.
Types of Sentences
- Some sentences should be simple, compound, or complex.
- A simple sentence is a sentence made up of one independent clause.
- A compound sentence is a sentence made up of two or more independent clauses joined by a conjunction.
- A complex sentence has one independent clause and at least one dependent clause.
- Scholastic Traits Writing Book for the information
- Alasqa Farley for drawing the pencil picture on scratch.mit.edu