3L Weekly News
Week Ending February 5, 2016
Enjoying our visit with Michael Dooling.
Elena had an art lesson from Mr. Dooling!
Elena and Mr. Dooling examining the picture to prepare for drawing.
Isaiah has been logging all of his comic books and shared his data on his Google Document.
Lindsey had a belt ceremony last week! She was excited to show us her broken boards.
Vienna did a great job as Star of the Week!
Bryson's Prize Posession
A Purple Heart from World War II. It was his great-grandfathers!
To support our writing, I showed a video of an oil spill that showed students how writers can get the audience to care when they use the most convincing material about their topic.
More Shocked Faces.
Students saw how oil spills really impact the environment.
Valentine's Day Class List
Here's a class list for Valentines.
- Caroline Barker
- William Blackburn
- Molly Cavacini
- Joey Cittidini
- Isaiah Cook
- Christopher Cox
- Lindsey Cummins
- Elena Domenico
- Liam Grega
- Eliza Gordon
- Nathan Hazlett
- Diana Hubel
- Natalie Kist
- Bryson Landis
- Caden Maslowski
- Libby Monaghan
- Vienna Mower
- Derrick Pyel
- Blair Samartino
- Dayne Shields
- Katie Tucker
- Diego Verges Oceguera
Room Mom Information
Valentine's Day Party
The class Valentine's Day party is right around the corner on Friday, February 12th from 2pm - 3pm. We've created a list of food and craft items that we will need to make the party great. There are also spaces for a few volunteers.
The sign-up sheet is accessible here.
The Central Book Fair is next week!
This year's dates are February 8-12. Each class will get a chance to visit the fair and purchase books during the school day. We are looking for parent volunteers to help the students choose their books. To sign up, please click here: http://tinyurl.com/bookfair16
Family night will be Wednesday, February 10th from 5:30-7:30pm and will feature Magician Matt Cadabra. Come shop for books with your family and check out the show!
This week in...
Mrs. Landis did a WONDERFUL job reading What Do You Do with an Idea? by Kobi Yamada.
We continued work on the Close Reading Strategies.
We read the story Ruby's Wish and identified character traits for Ruby and her Grandfather based on what the characters did (action), said (dialogue), and thought.
We reviewed fact and opinion and used our knowledge of fact and opinion to determine an author's bias. This is a difficult skill for students because they need to carefully pick up on the subtle clues to help identify an opinion. Students looked for clue words that showed the author's beliefs or feelings.
To determine the students' new knowledge, students redid 5 questions from the Jump! comprehension quiz that focused on Fact and Opinion.
We began our next story which is a legend titled Yonder Mountain A Cherokee Legend written by Robert H. Bushyhead and illustrated by Kristina Rodanas.
The story is about a Cherokee tribe looking for a new chief and the “tests” three men go through in order to become chief.
During this story, we reviewed vocabulary terms and prepared to work on the target skill: compare and contrast and the strategy: analyze/evaluate.
- I was SO proud of the students for their WONDERFUL work on the Unit 3 Math assessments! :-)
- This week we we used straws to review turns and angles.
- Students learned vocabulary such as clockwise and counterclockwise.
- Additionally, we learned about 90 degree, 180 degree, 270 degree, and 360 degree turns/angles.
- We also worked with different triangles and used straws to create each triangle.
- Finally, students were introduced to quadrangles and polygons.
We wrapped up categorizing our evidence by spending time researching more information to support our ideas that lacked information.
We made our speeches more persuasive by providing examples to show what we are exactly saying.
Finally, we embraced the notion of writing for an audience by considering what effect we want our speeches to have and selecting the most convincing material.
- The next Word Study Assessment will be on Thursday, February 11th (Day 6)
- We continued to work on our Me on the Map activity.
- Last week, students wrapped up the planet and continent.
- This week students focused our country, state, city, and street.
- We experimented with an unknown substance by observing the characteristics of the unknown before it is mixed with any other chemical.
- We learned new vocabulary such as physical properties.
- This week we will begin testing all 5 substances this week!
Habit of the Month: Habit 5 Seek First to Understand, Then to Be Understood
This month we will focus on Habit 5: Think First to Understand, Then to be Understood. We are focusing on the skill of listening (especially during tough times or times when we don’t necessarily agree!).
Habit 5 — Seek First to Understand, Then to Be Understood
Listen Before You Talk
I listen to other people’s ideas and feelings. I try to see things from their viewpoints. I listen to others without interrupting. I am confident in voicing my ideas. I look people in the eyes when talking.
Mrs. Simkus encourages your child to nominate him/herself when they have successfully used this skill. She also encourages you to nominate your child or another Central School student.
Students will be learning more about this in their classrooms.
**Please refer to Shannon's e-mail from Wednesday, 1/27/16 for the nomination slips.
Scholastic Book Orders: Orders will be due Friday February 5th.
Multiplication: It is important that students are studying their multiplication facts each night. It not only helps build good study habits, but also builds stamina and quick recall! While it is great students are using strategies such as repeated addition and drawing pictures, these facts must be known by heart. Students can check out my eBoard for additional practice with this skill.
Absences/Late: Always include email@example.com on all emails regarding absence, early dismissal or late arrival. This email is checked frequently throughout the day.
Vocabulary: Vocabulary for each story in Journeys can be found on my eBoard under the Language Arts tab. The red tabs are sectioned by lesson (example: L1 is Lesson 1 etc.). Vocabulary can also be found in the Journeys textbook or online textbook (before the reading selection).
Strings Make Up Work: Please keep in mind that your child will be missing instructional time when he or she attends strings. Any work that he or she miss will be expected to be made up.
Birthdays: If your child would like to celebrate his/her birthday, please contact me so we can set up a date to celebrate! See my eBoard for more details.
Student Logins: If students forget their Journeys Textbook click this link for the website. Students have logins and passwords in the front of their Agendas. EDM Home Links can be accessed on the website. The login information is also in the front of your child's planner book. My eBoard has additional information on logging in under the Language Arts and Math tabs.
Check This Out!
**My eBoard has loads of resources on it under the Math Tab. Be sure to check it out! We're studying Geometry (Unit 6) currently.
1.Typing Agent: **This is a GREAT tool to help your child with his/her typing skills!
- The link can be found on my eBoard under the PARCC/Teach tab.
- check out my eBoard under the Science Tab.
4. Compare and Contrast (upcoming skill)
Friday, June 10th, 2pm
Central Elementary School, Room 216, Haddonfield, NJ, United States
Back up date: Monday, June 13, 2015 @ 2:00
Student Council Activities
Thank you for all of your donations to the Student Council Toy Drive!
Central Events: January and February
Central Events: February
Friday, February 5
- 8:00am Spirit Day
Monday, February 8
- 9:00am Book Fair
- 3:30pm Interim Report Cards Available Online Grades 1-5
Tuesday, February 9
- Book Fair
Wednesday, February 10
- Book Fair
Thursday, February 11
- Book Fair
Friday, February 12
- 3:00pm Book Fair
- 2:00pm Valentine's Day Parties
Monday, February 15
- Presidents' Day
- 8:00am School Closed
Thursday, February 25
- 3:30pm 5th Grade Talent Show
- 7:30pm 5th Grade Talent Show
Monday, February 29
- 8:30am Read Across America
Specials This Week
Monday is a Day 3:
- Health and Gym
Tuesday is a Day 4:
- Strings and Spanish
Wednesday is a Day 5:
Thursday is a Day 6:
Friday is a Day 1:
- Spanish and Gym
Guest Read Aloud Schedule
- Jennifer Cittadini Wednesday, October 14 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Beth Wassall Wednesday, October 21 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Nicole Ventrella Tuesday, October 27 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Emmie Goldenbaum-Cook Thursday, November 12 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Mia Levine or Eric Huebl: Friday, November 20 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Jennifer Barker Monday, November 23 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Stefanie Kist: Wednesday, December 2 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Dana Mower: Monday, December 7 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Jeff Tucker Tuesday, January 5 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Susan Gordon: Tuesday, January 12 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Jennifer Grega : Friday, January 22 @ 2:40
- Robin Landis: Friday, February 5 @ 2:40 (completed)
- Dori Shields: Monday, February 22 @2:40
- Barbara Cavacini: Thursday, February 25 @ 2:40
- Heather Tucker: Friday, March 4 @ 2:40
- Debbie Wolschina: Friday, March 11 @ 2:40
- Shannon Simkus: Tuesday, March 29 @ 2:40
- Sara Blackburn: Tuesday, April 5 @ 2:40
- Sharon Dominco: Wednesday, April 13 @ 2:40
- Mary Beth Smith: Tuesday,May 10 @ 2:40
- Carol Cox: Friday, June 10 @ 2:40
Star of the Week Schedule
Student and Date:
1. Natalie Sept. 28-Oct.2 (completed)
2. Diego October 5-9 (completed)
3. Katie October 12-16 (completed)
4. Isaiah October 26-30 (completed)
5. Blair November 9-13 (completed)
6. Caden November 16-20 (completed)
7. Nathan November 30-Dec. 4 (completed)
8. Eliza January 4-8 (completed)
9. Caroline January 11-15 (completed)
10. Bryson January 25-29 (completed)
11. Vienna February 1-5 (completed)
12. Dayne February 22-26
13. Libby February 29-Mar.4
14. Derrick March 7-11
15. Lindsey March 14-18
16. Diana March 29- April 1
17. Molly April 4-8
18. Liam April 11-15
19. Elena April 25-29
20. William May 2-6
21. Joey May 16-20
22. Christopher June 6-10
Poet of the Week Schedule
Student and Date:
1. Libby Friday, October 2 (completed)
2. Liam Friday, October 9 (completed)
3. Diana Friday, October 16 (completed)
4. Vienna Friday, October 30 (completed)
5. Lindsey Friday, November 13 (completed)
6. Derrick Friday, November 20
7. Molly Friday, December 4 (completed)
8. Elena Friday, December 11 (completed)
9. Natalie Friday, January 8 (completed)
10. Joey Friday, January 15 (completed)
11. William Friday, January 29 (completed)
12. Isaiah Friday, February 12
13. Katie Friday, February 19
14. Christopher Friday, February 26
15. Blair Friday, March 4
16. Diego Friday, March 18
17. Caden Friday, April 1
18. Nathan Friday, April 15
19. Eliza Friday, May 6
20. Caroline Friday, May 13
21. Bryson Friday, May 27
22. Dayne Friday, June 10